PDA

View Full Version : LaunchBox Plugin Not Showing All Images & Info For Fade & Pause Screens

kmoney2315
08-05-2016, 01:52 PM
Per Bleasby's request I am starting a new thread for these issues and will be including a troubleshooting log and pics of my fade and pause screens. Here are my comments I left in another thread:

"The year is not showing on my fade screen. I tried removing the LaunchBox section in my "RocketLauncher\Settings\Global Plugins.ini" folder and let RL recreate it and the year still did not show up on the fade screen. I even went as far as installing a fresh copy of Rocketlauncher and LaunchBox both up to date and current to test with and still could not get the year to show up on the fade screen. The strange thing is, the year shows up on the Pause screen so it is pulling it from the xml, it just doesnt show up on the fade screen. I also looked at my LaunchBox xml manually and it has the dates in there. I also can get no media such as boxes,carts,logos,videos and etc. to show on the Pause screen even though I have everything in the correct folders."

Troubleshooting Log: http://pastebin.com/iv8uPScY

bleasby
08-05-2016, 04:40 PM
From your log:

13:23:35:069 | MD | WARNING | +125 | BuildDatabaseTable - Ended - no "Game Name" found. Assigning "3 Ninjas Kick Back (USA)" to the label "Name"

RL was not able to found the game name on the launchbox xml file.
That is why none of the database fields were retrieved, including the year information.

The pause information displayed on the screen top left comes from the RocketLauncher\Data\Game Info folder and not from the FE that you use.

Please, try to find the launchbox.xml section that describes the game that you used to test this and copy only its section here so we could take a look if there is anything that we could do to try to make RL find the game entrance on the mess that is the launchbox database.

kmoney2315
08-05-2016, 05:04 PM
From your log:

13:23:35:069 | MD | WARNING | +125 | BuildDatabaseTable - Ended - no "Game Name" found. Assigning "3 Ninjas Kick Back (USA)" to the label "Name"

RL was not able to found the game name on the launchbox xml file.
That is why none of the database fields were retrieved, including the year information.

The pause information displayed on the screen top left comes from the RocketLauncher\Data\Game Info folder and not from the FE that you use.

Please, try to find the launchbox.xml section that describes the game that you used to test this and copy only its section here so we could take a look if there is anything that we could do to try to make RL find the game entrance on the mess that is the launchbox database.

Ok that makes sense, I did not know that the pause info at the top of the screen is pulled from the RocketLauncher\Data\Game Info folder, thanks for letting me know. Here is the info pulled from my LaunchBox xml for the game I used to test up above in my troubleshooting log:

<Game>
<ApplicationPath>..\Arcade &amp; Console Games\Sega Genesis\3 Ninjas Kick Back (USA).zip</ApplicationPath>
<CommandLine />
<Completed>false</Completed>
<ConfigurationCommandLine />
<ConfigurationPath />
<DateAdded>2016-01-10T23:21:33.6643893-05:00</DateAdded>
<DateModified>2016-08-04T17:46:22.646608-04:00</DateModified>
<Developer>Malibu Interactive</Developer>
<DosBoxConfigurationPath />
<Emulator>1a49cf12-8449-444f-bdf6-fce548d8c4cb</Emulator>
<Favorite>false</Favorite>
<ID>605b5154-ff9d-41b8-b47e-21b34dc5ee3f</ID>
<LastPlayedDate>2016-08-05T13:23:32.4402602-04:00</LastPlayedDate>
<ManualPath />
<MusicPath />
<Notes>3 Ninjas Kick Back follows 3 young ninja brothers, Rocky, Colt and Tum-Tum as they assist an old Samurai in retrieving a prized dagger which has been stolen by his rival. The dagger, once given to the Samurai as a reward, will be passed along to younger generations once it is restored to its rightful owner. The boys learn ninjitsu and karate as they fight evil forces that are older, more powerful, and bigger than them.</Notes>
<Platform>Sega Genesis</Platform>
<Publisher>Sony Imagesoft</Publisher>
<Rating>E - Everyone</Rating>
<ReleaseDate>1994-06-01T00:00:00-04:00</ReleaseDate>
<RootFolder />
<ScummVMAspectCorrection>false</ScummVMAspectCorrection>
<ScummVMFullscreen>false</ScummVMFullscreen>
<ScummVMGameDataFolderPath />
<ScummVMGameType />
<SortTitle />
<Source />
<StarRating>0</StarRating>
<Status>Imported ROM</Status>
<DatabaseID>3371</DatabaseID>
<WikipediaURL />
<Title>3 Ninjas Kick Back</Title>
<UseDosBox>false</UseDosBox>
<UseScummVM>false</UseScummVM>
<Version />
<Series />
<PlayMode>Multiplayer</PlayMode>
<Region />
<PlayCount>92</PlayCount>
<Portable>false</Portable>
<VideoPath />
<Hide>false</Hide>
<Broken>false</Broken>
<Genre>Action</Genre>
</Game>

bleasby
08-06-2016, 03:31 PM
The problem is most problem because the & on your rom folder name.

Could you try to launch a game in a folder with no special characters to confirm that?

kmoney2315
08-06-2016, 06:18 PM
The problem is most problem because the & on your rom folder name.

Could you try to launch a game in a folder with no special characters to confirm that?

Yes I was thinking that could be it also so when I tried it on a fresh Rocketlauncher and LaunchBox install that I am using for testing I just named the tester folder Roms and sadly I still get the same result of the images and info not showing up. I know Styphelus here on the forums said he was having the same problem as me so maybe he can post his troubleshooting log here as well to compare.

bleasby
08-06-2016, 07:10 PM
Please replace the RocketLauncher\Plugins\LaunchBox.plugin by the one bellow on your test setup (the one that does not use rom folders with special characters) and post again a log when you can.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yzsaj1jo1ewrx5j/LaunchBox.plugin?dl=0

kmoney2315
08-06-2016, 08:15 PM
Here is the link to the new troubleshooting log on my test setup with the new LaunchBox Plugin you posted.

http://pastebin.com/YkxB8vyu

bleasby
08-07-2016, 04:52 AM
Do you have the bellow line in your launchbox.xml? It is exactly equal or there is any difference?

<ApplicationPath>.\Roms\Sega Genesis\3 Ninjas Kick Back (USA).zip</ApplicationPath>

kmoney2315
08-07-2016, 07:22 AM
Do you have the bellow line in your launchbox.xml? It is exactly equal or there is any difference?

<ApplicationPath>.\Roms\Sega Genesis\3 Ninjas Kick Back (USA).zip</ApplicationPath>

My path is a little different and looks like this:
<ApplicationPath>..\Roms\Sega Genesis\3 Ninjas Kick Back (USA).zip</ApplicationPath>

bleasby
08-07-2016, 07:53 AM
That is the culprit. The function responsible to translate the absolute path to the relative one is missing the extra point at the path beginning.

Brolly, it was you that replaced the one that we had before on the plugin file by the one inside the DLL, no? How should we proceed with that?
I could simply add a possible point to the regex to deal with that but I would prefer to know if there is something else we could do using the function instead.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

kmoney2315
08-07-2016, 05:50 PM
Nice I am glad the culprit was found,hopefully it is an easy fix to implement.

brolly
08-07-2016, 08:54 PM
Brolly, it was you that replaced the one that we had before on the plugin file by the one inside the DLL, no? How should we proceed with that?
I could simply add a possible point to the regex to deal with that but I would prefer to know if there is something else we could do using the function instead.
Sorry, but I didn't get what the problem was exactly. Is the plugin using the DLL already? Because if it is, that relative path seems perfectly fine to me and if you are using the DLL method why are you applying any regex?

bleasby
08-08-2016, 10:50 AM
Sorry brolly, I thought that the plugin was already using the rocketlauncher dll to convert the absolute to relative path, but it seams that it still using the old method. I was already away when the files were pushed to git so I had no way to update the method, but I though that one of you had done that already.
I am right now at the airport but when I come back I will take a look at it.

Anyway, the regex that I was referring to has nothing to do with the path conversion. It is the one that I use for parsing the XML file searching for the game section. The problem seams to be that the launchbox relative path starts with two points "../", meanwhile the one that RL is searching starts with a single one "./". I don't even remember what is the difference between starting with the two or one point for the relative paths but they should match.

brolly
08-08-2016, 10:49 PM
I think djvj changed the plugin to use the new function, but perhaps he never pushed it to Git we will need to confirm with him.

djvj
08-09-2016, 04:39 AM
I never touched the LB plugin because I thought it was still in the works. It still uses the old getrelativepath() function within the plugin.

Styphelus
08-11-2016, 02:48 PM
Glad to see that you guys identified the issue. Do you guys know when a fix can be expected? Or is there something we can do to fix it on our end like maybe change a few lines of code?

bleasby
08-12-2016, 01:04 PM
Glad to see that you guys identified the issue. Do you guys know when a fix can be expected? Or is there something we can do to fix it on our end like maybe change a few lines of code?
You could at least provide a troubleshooting log and the same info that kmoney provided so we would have more info to work on the fix.

As usual, we do not give any ETA as we can only work on stuff like that when we have some free time available. So, it is pointless to ask for that.

We will let everybody know when we are able to progress on the issue. Particularly in my case, it is a little difficult for me to do anything right now as I just came back from vacations and found out that my development computer is completely fried (graphics card, hard drive,...).

Styphelus
08-12-2016, 10:48 PM
Here's my log:

http://pastebin.com/7ECy79qv

My path looks like the one from kmoney2315 with 2 dots

The year and the rating do not show up in fade and neither does any media in the Pause menu. Also, there's a very long delay between selecting the game and Fade starting up (about 5 seconds). Let me know if you need anything else.

Rincewind
08-13-2016, 05:02 AM
computer is completely fried (graphics card, hard drive,...).

Sorry to hear that bleasby I feel your pain, graphic cards can be replaced but a hard drive is massive head ache, always happens just after you have a thought of "I must make a backup"

Styphelus
09-03-2016, 06:15 PM
I'm noticed that my PC games do show the date in the fade screen but the rating logo is still missing. My console roms still do not show the date or rating despite a brand new install of Launchbox. Not sure why that is. I keep my PC games in a different drive. No clue if that affects the way the plugin reads paths or not. My log is in post #18. Pause screen is also still not reading any of the Launchbox media folders.

kmoney2315
09-03-2016, 07:11 PM
You are correct @Styphelus. I just did a test on a few games and put them on another drive. A hard drive that my Rocketlauncher install is not on and it picked up everything correctly except the rating logo, including all the Fade screen info and all the Pause screen media. So it looks like the LaunchBox plugin is not retreiving all the fade and pause screen info and media if your games are on the same drive as your RocketLauncher install.

bleasby
09-03-2016, 07:15 PM
We did some changes to the launchbox plugin and hopefully this will be fixed on the next RL release. Just wait until we are able to release the changes.

kmoney2315
11-06-2016, 08:26 AM
Thanks for the updates to the LB plugin but unfortunately I am having the same issues with the plugin not showing all the images and info for the fade and pause screens. I have attached a link to my log file.
http://pastebin.com/eDdx9iBh

bleasby
11-06-2016, 12:06 PM
I believe this is happening to you because you use a folder path with a xml special character "&" ("..\Arcade & Console Games\Nintendo Entertainment System\Adventure Island (USA).zip").

Please try to replace the launchbox plugin by this one and let me know what happens (post a log also using the new file).

kmoney2315
11-06-2016, 12:28 PM
I believe this is happening to you because you use a folder path with a xml special character "&" ("..\Arcade & Console Games\Nintendo Entertainment System\Adventure Island (USA).zip").

Please try to replace the launchbox plugin by this one and let me know what happens (post a log also using the new file).

I am afraid that did not correct it either. I also experimented and changed the game path to a folder called "Games" with the original updated plugin also without success. One other thing I am noticing in the log that I did not see before the update is this warning :
WARNING | +78 | StartModule - You have an unsupported System Name for this module: "Nintendo Entertainment System". Only the following System Names are suppported: ""

Here is the new log:
http://pastebin.com/8KFN1pei

bleasby
11-06-2016, 12:44 PM
Could you try again with this one and post a new log:

kmoney2315
11-06-2016, 01:21 PM
Awesome...that seems to have fixed it, thanks bleasby!! Here is the new log:

http://pastebin.com/5QQs7MM8

bleasby
11-06-2016, 03:06 PM
Cool!
Djvj of brolly, if you can please update the plugin file on git with the one above. If you can't I will do it in more or less two days.

brolly
11-07-2016, 01:22 AM
Just did it.

Styphelus
11-07-2016, 08:10 PM
Mine is still not showing the Ratings image.

http://pastebin.com/J5L9ukkU

kmoney2315
11-07-2016, 10:43 PM
I think the new updated LaunchBox plugin that bleasby posted a few post above was not the one that was uploaded to Git because the one that downloads in the newest RL update is the same one that does not show all the images and info. But the LaunchBox plugin a few post above that bleasby posted with the dropbox links works correctly for me unless it has not been pushed live yet?

BTW: Mine does not show the ratings images also that might be be because LaunchBox uses a different set of rating names or images maybe?

brolly
11-07-2016, 11:43 PM
Uploading to Git is not the same thing as making it live. It will be live soon.

Regarding the ratings, yeah seems LB uses different names for the ratings:
20:05:03:392 | MD | DEBUG | +0 | BuildDatabaseTable - Found "Rating" with a value: "E - Everyone"

So you'll have to figure out the actual rating names LB uses and then just copy (or create) the rating logos you want using the proper filenames.

Styphelus
11-12-2016, 10:51 PM
Thanks Brolly. Got everything working now.

sucramjd1
02-01-2017, 08:06 PM
Thanks Brolly. Got everything working now.
How did you manage to get your ratings to show? I cant figure it out, well I know its a naming thing but I cant find anything in launch box.

teeedubb
04-04-2017, 08:44 PM
Hi,

I am having the same issue - not all info available in LB is being shown in the Pause/Fade screens. I have a poke around in the log file with some of the info in this thread but I couldnt find anything that explains why the info isnt being displayed.

RL Log file: https://pastebin.com/PMPUBLfP

Any help is appreciated.

agent47
04-04-2017, 09:18 PM
You'll need to set your Logging Level in RLUI to Troubleshooting to produce a more detailed log. That will include more info about what it's searching for in your database file and which assets it's looking for to display on the fade screen.

teeedubb
04-05-2017, 01:48 AM
My bad, here is a log with troubleshooting enabled
https://www.dropbox.com/s/a8hzpqa48edj1gu/rl%20log?dl=0

LB xml for the system Im running:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/eh3xjqeffch2hkx/NEC%20SuperGrafx.xml?dl=0

Image of pause screen:

I see on lines 271-272 in the log that RL finds the game description, but with the tag 'Notes'. Could that be the issue?

bleasby
04-05-2017, 09:19 AM
Could you be more specific abour which info is not being showed for you teeedubb?
Could you post a fade screenshot also?

Sent from my SM-J200M using Tapatalk

teeedubb
04-05-2017, 08:35 PM
On Fade: rating, genre, developer and publisher - but after playing around with the settings I think these may not be shown due to 'Text Option" settings?
With pause it appears that it gets it info not from the LB xmls as it doesnt match whats displayed in LB? RL game data ini it seems.

bleasby
04-05-2017, 10:49 PM
Pause uses the informations contained on the RL data folder. Not on the frontend xmls.

About fade, just reset all your fade settings by using the brush icon on RLUI and if the problem persists, post a log, screenshot and the LB xml file that has the game info so I could check it out.

teeedubb
04-06-2017, 09:54 AM
Ok I think I have gotten my head around it.

Incase anyone is interested, this is a python 2 script to batch convert LB xml's into RL game data ini's. You need to set the two variables to the respective LB + RL data folders.

# -*- coding: utf-8 -*-
from __future__ import unicode_literals
from __future__ import print_function
from itertools import izip
from HTMLParser import HTMLParser
import os
import shutil
import re
import sys
import xml.etree.ElementTree as ET

try:
txt_encode = sys.getfilesystemencoding()
except:
txt_encode = 'utf-8'
reload(sys)
sys.setdefaultencoding('utf-8')

lb_dir = 'c:/Users/tw/Desktop/lb-rl-info'
rl_dir = 'c:/Users/tw/Desktop/lb-rl-output'

###
rl_dir_backup = os.path.join(rl_dir, 'backup')
for system in os.listdir(lb_dir):
if system.endswith(".xml"):
system_name = system[:-4]
print(system_name)
xml_lb = os.path.join(lb_dir, system)
ini_rl = os.path.join(rl_dir, system_name+'.ini')
h = HTMLParser()
if os.path.exists(ini_rl):
if not os.path.exists(rl_dir_backup):
os.makedirs(rl_dir_backup)
if os.path.exists(os.path.join(rl_dir_backup, system_name+'.ini')):
if os.path.exists(os.path.join(rl_dir_backup, system_name+'.ini.old')):
os.remove(os.path.join(rl_dir_backup, system_name+'.ini.old'))
shutil.move(os.path.join(rl_dir_backup, system_name+'.ini'), os.path.join(rl_dir_backup, system_name+'.ini.old'))
shutil.move(ini_rl, rl_dir_backup)
tree = ET.parse(xml_lb)
root = tree.getroot()
lb_label = ['Title', 'Publisher', 'Developer', 'ReleaseDate', 'Genre', 'StarRating', 'PlayMode', 'Rating', 'WikipediaURL', 'Notes']
rl_label = ['Title', 'Publisher', 'Developer', 'Released', 'Genre', 'Score', 'Players', 'Rating', 'Url', 'Description']
with open(ini_rl, 'w') as f:
for game in root.findall('Game'):
for lbl,rll in izip(lb_label, rl_label):
if game.find(lbl) != None and game.find(lbl).text:
if rll == 'Title':
info = '[' + h.unescape(game.find(lbl).text) + ']'
info = info.replace('\r', ' ').replace('\n', ' ') + "\n"
info = re.sub(' +', ' ', info)
elif rll == 'Released':
info = h.unescape(game.find(lbl).text)[:4]
info = rll + '=' + info + "\n"
else:
info = rll + '=' + h.unescape(game.find(lbl).text)
info = info.replace('\r', ' ').replace('\n', ' ') + "\n"
info = re.sub(' +', ' ', info)
f.write(info)
f.write("\n")

teeedubb
04-10-2017, 01:14 AM
@bleasby quick question... Do you know if it is possible to place the LB game data ini's somewhere so they are not overwritten on RL updates? Like a user game data ini folder or something?

Thanks

bleasby
04-11-2017, 09:35 PM
I can't check it right now, but the game info files shouldn't be replaced while updating.

They should most probably use the "(example)" tag on the official file names to avoid that.
Brolly, do you know if this is happening and why these files are not distributed as example files to avoid such issue?

brolly
04-12-2017, 03:27 AM
Don't know, but this applies to everything in the Data folder actually (history.dat, moves list) so we should probably review that. If anything should be renamed I think it would make more sense to do it on the actual folders not files (would also be a lot easier).
The only drawback of doing this is that users will need to manually rename their folders on first use and this might lead to a bunch of questions here asking why no info is showing. I think it's the first time I see someone actually trying to edit these files :)

bleasby
04-12-2017, 10:52 AM
Yeah, funny that this only came up now, after such a long time.
Maybe the correct way to handle that would be to just rename the Data folder to Data (example).
We should also add a warning on the update change log about renaming it if you are a new user, but sadly most of the newer users will not bother reading the big red letters and will just come here complaining that their install do not work.

brolly
04-12-2017, 03:56 PM
Do we have any reliable way of checking if it's the first time the user runs RL? Like checking the statistics file for example?
If we do then we could simply rename that folder back to "Data" on first run and only in the first run (if such a folder doesn't already exist of course), this should take care of that problem and still allow users to customize things as they see fit without getting everything overwritten on updates.

bleasby
04-12-2017, 04:10 PM
You would need to ask djvj for that.
In my opinion this could be definitely done.

brolly
04-12-2017, 06:02 PM
Will do once we find out where he is hiding :)
How would this be done then? Through the stats file or something else?

bleasby
04-13-2017, 02:30 PM
I believe that the statistics could be disabled by the user.
We could simply check for the existence of a specific text file in the data folder for example.
Either that or just test directly if the Data folder exists if we go on the route of shipping the default files in a renamed Data (example)" folder.