7-zip can handle RAR5 archives now !!

kyo3000

RL Member
Hello everyone,

Two years ago, people at hyperspin-fe.com were discussing the benefits RAR5 has over 7z (mainly the HUGE gains on extracting archives), and someone even did some benchmarking between the two softwares. However, integrating RAR support into RL (or HL3 at the time) was complicated (maybe) and the idea was abandoned despite the benefits.
You can still find the original thread here

Now, 7-zip finally added RAR5 support (According to this article).
Can someone test this with RL and tell us if it is working, and if it is actually worth it (I hope so), My HS machine is another town and i don't have access to it ATM.
In theory, things should be simple, upgrade 7zip installation + add .rar extension and 7-zip support and it should work (No change to the CLI i believe)

Thanks.

brolly

Administrator
Developer
Good news, but it's not as simple as changing the DLL as we also use another third party library for some of the extra features which might also need to be updated to support this, we will need to look into it and see.

djvj

Administrator
Staff member
Developer
For the record, I tested the new 7z with RL and it works fine w/o making any code changes and just updating the exe and dll in module extensions. But like brolly said, the library we use does not support it and will error out if attempting to extract an archive of rar5 format. So for now it is not supported.

djvj

Administrator
Staff member
Developer
Was testing some 24GB files and extraction time vs dictionary sizes:

32MB: 24GB compressed to 23.996GB
128MB 24GB compressed to 21.200GB

8:04 to extract 32MB dictionary size
7:23 to extract 128MB dictionary size

So for your very large archives, it's a good idea to increase that dictionary size. More than 128 was not worth it and didn't offer any real savings. Anything less than 128 and it wasn't worth it for space savings as it got too close to the 32MB archive size.

djvj

Administrator
Staff member
Developer
Tried another 24GB file that compressed much further

32MB
Compressed Size: 4.636GB
Time To Extract: 4:29

128MB
Compressed Size: 4.625GB
Time To Extract: 4:29

So smaller files it made no difference and negligible space savings.