7z Rom Locker (AKA Keep recent)

xagesz

RL Member
So I know that load and unload in hyperlaunch will unzip a psx file then after exit delete it.

I have my games on an external essentially and unzip to a SSD.

Could you implement a recents list that you could adjust for say 1-5 games. This way when testing configs and constant hyperlaunches you would not have to wait for 7z to finish and the game would load quick.

or

If you have been playing the same game daily and it just keeps it on the ready.

I hate unzipping large cd based games repeatedly to my SSD. If it could just have a recent that would auto clear after it gets past your set limit of 5 i think it would be a nice addition. Plus I dont think it is too hard of a code to implement but I maybe wrong.

EDIT:

I also know there is the Delete Temporary setting but I think i locker of recents would make use of deleting while maybe speeding up repeated processes

Last edited:

djvj

Administrator
Staff member
Developer
It's a good idea. Not something I'm sure belongs in HL though. I see an external tool more taking care of this. Keep in mind, the more you add to HL, the slower it gets.

You can certainly utilize the User Functions to create this if you really want to. if it's done well enough I could add it to the official build. This day and age of such larger hard drives it's hardly a concern anymore about space.

xagesz

RL Member
Right. Space isnt. But like i said i keep all the files on a spare drive and rip my games to my ssd. Prolonged life on my ssd is my main concern and the ssd is a mere 60gb

At least you like the idea. Not sure how to go about building the code then. hmm.

djvj

Administrator
Staff member
Developer
I can picture it in my head but it would take quite a bit to develop it. Time better spent getting the next HL update finished.

You are not the first to suggest it, someone else suggested something like this awhile back.

xagesz

RL Member
I picture this as a 7zcleanup type thing. Can you point me to the module with 7zcleanup and I will go teach myself ahk to toy with this and develop. I see it as basically a txt file. keeping 5 extracted paths.

the replace as necessary and the 5th one would be the delete instead of the one you just wrote. I dont think this would be a tick to performance at all. I am off the next few days so I think I might be able to toy up a small working prototype. Then you can give me your opinion on it. And if I am in over my head I will gladly admit defeat right here.

xagesz

RL Member
Ok. Now I see the userfunctions. Ok. I will start trying to write a working base code tomorrow to make this work.

Start Goal is: (Static Variables)
5 Rom Memory
And keep all 5 roms if the current game is a top 5.
Delete rom 6

brolly

Administrator
Developer
On the new HL version you'll already be able to force HL to never delete a specific game on exit even if you have delete temporary enabled.
If this is for testing purposes only I'd say this makes more sense than not extracting any of the last 5 launched games.

xagesz

RL Member
Brolly: Thats definitely a good idea. But my issue is I take a computer loaded with hyperspin when I travel for my military job. So Depending on where I go I have an option of working a different 5 out of 300 everytime. So the games I would need not deleted would change always and I would still want to keep my recents.

brolly

Administrator
Developer
You can always set those specific 5 to not be deleted at each time, but you'll need to do it manually every time you want to use different games (and clear the previous) as it's not automatic of course.

xagesz

RL Member
That's the plan. I will write it to use an ini that will keep a recents list. The top 5 stay. Once you open something new. Number six will be erased. Or if you open number 5 it will be moved to the top of the list and nothing will get deleted

bleasby

RocketLauncher Developer
Developer
You could use the statistics ini files to know which are the last 10 played games already. Just need to read the values on that file.

Probably you could even use the statistics variables for that already.

I cannot give the specifics for that as i am at vacations right now, but when i get back i could help you out.

xagesz

RL Member
You could use the statistics ini files to know which are the last 10 played games already. Just need to read the values on that file.

Probably you could even use the statistics variables for that already.

I cannot give the specifics for that as i am at vacations right now, but when i get back i could help you out.

Good Call Bleasby. That will cut my programming time alot. No need to create the script to do this now. I will have free time on monday and will start then.

bleasby

RocketLauncher Developer
Developer
Then you wouldn't have that info updated. :)

If this is added to hyperlaunch, we would need to update at least the last played games info when the statistics is disabled to have that info saved (or just add a warning that the feature would only work if statistics is envaled).

brolly

Administrator
Developer
Doesn't make much sense to require statistics to be enabled for something like this to work, so the first option would be the only way to go imo.

xagesz

RL Member
Ok. So I dug into this a bit today. My issue is that the recents I can find are a global ini . But I dont see an easy way to make this work. They are name 1_ 4 times then 2_ 4 times. and so on. So i will build a recent tracker specifically to do what I want to.

Remember the 7z Directory. Look at and sort all every time. This is not the way I wanted to but using the recents as is will be much more difficult for me.