A quick tutorial on how to bulk move "maps" media from 'guides' to a subfolder named 'maps'

SupraKarma

Supporter
RL Member
I downloaded Retro Humanoid's very awesome RL media a while back, very appreciative for all the work that went into that.

But I wanted to put all the 'maps' into a subdirectory in guides, and that's not exactly an easy thing to do... on the surface. I'm not going to walk anyone through this, mostly because I'm lazy, but also because if you're actually interested in doing something like this, I'm going to assume that you already possess the intelligence to figure this out based on a simple description.

You need 'bulk rename utility' and 'files2folder.' Google it (files2folder can be found over at the HyperSpin forum but it was quite buried when I went to look for it).

Files 2 folder allows you to move media into a subfolder based on it's file extension. So if you had a folder called Rocketlauncher\media\guides\Nintendo Entertainment System, then within that folder you've got 100+ subfolders named after the games (e.g. Super Mario Bros (USA) ), then within each individual directory, you have the map files, here is what you do.

Do a search (control+F) in the main directory (with all the subdirectories named after the games) for *.*. This will bring up every single file type in all of your folders. If you have nothing but .png files, well that's good news that makes this process a lot quicker.

First thing you're going to want to do select all (control+A) your entire search results, then drag and drop all of it into an open bulk rename utility window. BRU sometimes glitches and will only accept one file. If this happens, close it and reopen and try again. It always works the 2nd time. Use bulk rename utility to rename the file extension "Maps" or "Map" or whatever you prefer. Don't worry this is only temporary.

Back out of the search you just did in file explorer and search for *.maps. Select all (control+A) after the search is complete. Right click and use files 2 folder's context menu to move each folder into a subdirectory named after the extension. This will automatically sort all files into a subdirectory named maps (nested within each folder named after the game).

Back out of the search you just did, and search for *.maps once again. Drag and drop the entire selection into bulk rename utility, and rename the extensions back to .png.

You're done!

Repeat the process for any jpg or other files. Files2folder will do all the sorting for you.

A quick tip: The above scenario is if you are starting fresh and have nothing in your guides folder except maps. If you already have a ton of other media in your guides folder besides maps, and your maps happen to be in a separate directory already, just do your work directly from wherever you have your maps. When you're done open a 2nd file explorer window, and drag and drop all the subdirectories into the 'guides' folder with all of it's subdirectories. File explorer will merge the directories and all of the 'maps' subdirectories will go where they are supposed to.

*disclaimer* back everything up! I'm not responsible for anyone's incompetence. This procedure works for me and it works well.

Last edited:

RetroHumanoid

RL Member
Re: A quick tutorial on how to bulk move "maps" media from 'guides' to a subfolder named 'maps'

I actually made this same move myself recently (placing a ++Maps folder inside each guide folder). I felt it was a better route to go,in order to free up the Controller menu. I will be taking down the old files and reuploading the new structured ones when time permits,but in the meantime your solution is fantastic for those that already downloaded,or will download it until I get the fix in. Thank you sir. Btw...I actually transferred each games maps manually when I did it...being as I will be uploading it for other people to download,I had zero margin for error....and it was not fun,lol.

------------------------------------
YouTube,FaceBook,Twitter@RetroHumanoid

SupraKarma

Supporter
RL Member
Re: A quick tutorial on how to bulk move "maps" media from 'guides' to a subfolder named 'maps'

Btw...I actually transferred each games maps manually when I did it...being as I will be uploading it for other people to download,I had zero margin for error....and it was not fun,lol.

I know, right? I feel your pain my friend. I *started* to do it all manually, and about 15 minutes in, I realized just how much work it was going to be.

I actually got kind of lucky when I found this. I didn't expect Files2foldler (or Bulk Rename Utility for that matter) to work with a search results query, but when it did, it made my day! Earlier, I tried another method, using 'files2folders' option to move files into a directory named after itself. This is fine if you only need to move one file into a folder but if you have multiple files, this method is far better. Files2folder is *the* app you need if you're doing Rocketlauncher media. Bulk rename utility is a close 2nd (although there are probably others that will do the same thing).

RetroHumanoid

RL Member
yeah...i tend to use the files2folders,symlink,and ant renamer programs/extensions quite a bit while working on RL.

SupraKarma

Supporter
RL Member

Symlink is awesome also.

I have a 'MAME' wheel with a ton of genres, and then I have 'Atari Classics,' 'Capcom Classics,' etc. that also have genres, and after I found out about symlinks I just made a generic 'genre media' folder and symlinked it to all of my 'classics' genre folders. Also symlinked all the 'mame' wheel art. That saved me a ton of time, and hard drive space. I've put quite a bit of effort into filling in blanks for missing Mame wheel art (primarily to fill in the blanks for the 'classics' wheels). It was nice to be able to just put everything into one master folder. Plus, since I've linked the folder itself, I can easily make adjustments if I need to (adding new files if I decide to add a new game to Atari Classics, for example).

You're actually the one that told me about symlinks in a post a couple weeks ago, thank you for that!