Controls have a mind of their own!

Bandit

Hey! I'm pretty new to emulation and I've been running into a weird issue with key mapping controls.

I'm working on a Polycade machine. (Windows 10 computer in a cabinet case and 2 sets of arcade controls built in) Unfortunately I didn't get a say in this purchase, so I'm working with what we have. This thing has been a pain in the ass!

- I have 3 emulators and they work on their own. I had no issue going into each one, setting controls and playing 1 or 2 players using the arcade stick/buttons.

- When running RocketLauncher and HyperSpin, sometimes HS loads up and the joy sticks don't work (mapped to WASD - and I am NOT using the joystick setting in HyperHQ) but the other buttons on the pad still work and using the keyboard WASD still works. When I close everything and try only the emulator everything works again.

- When the controls do work, we can launch an emulator, have no issues playing but when exiting back to HS wheel the controls stop working again.

I've tried both JoytoKey and xmapper and they both have this issue.

Any other info that could help lemme know and thanks in advance!

mccorkled

RL Member
I can probably help via teamviewer. Xpadder is trash. Since I switched to J2K I have had zero issues with profiles switching properly. Out of curiosity, where did you buy your drive from?

Spawk

Banned
- I have 3 emulators and they work on their own. I had no issue going into each one, setting controls and playing 1 or 2 players using the arcade stick/buttons.
This is a good start, controls "in game" should always be handled by emulator itself if at all possible.

- When the controls do work, we can launch an emulator, have no issues playing but when exiting back to HS wheel the controls stop working again.
This implies to me that HS simply does not have "focus" when returning from a game, have you tried setting the "suspend frontend" to "restore and click"?

I've tried both JoytoKey and xmapper and they both have this issue.
Maybe I am wrong here, but I was under the impression that when using an actual cab, that you don't need a keymapper (I've only ever used gamepads for controls). The i-pac is essentially a keymapper already right???