Folder Support for manuals and videos in Pause

SupraKarma

Supporter
RL Member
I've notice that the 'Guides' tab already supports this feature, which is great. I use it to sort maps and other things. But sometimes it would be convenient to have this feature for other tabs in Pause.

Example 1: If I'm playing an RPG like Final Fantasy that came with multiple pieces of literature (a map, a reference card, a quick guide, etc.) it would be nice to be able to put it all in one folder, that way I can navigate more quickly. I experimented a bit, and it seems that using a folder will work for png files, but not PDF files, which is what I really need. I don't want to put this stuff in the 'guides' tab, because it was the game specific literature.

Example 2: Maybe I'm playing NES, and I want to add multiple NES commercials, but I don't want to have to scroll through all of them every time I want to play a game specific video. In this situation, it would be nice to put them all in a folder called 'Commercials', that way I only have to scroll past it one time.

Navigation is kind of a pain the way I have things set up. Every time I try to scroll to a new pdf or video file, it stops and loads it without letting me 'fast skip' to the pdf or video I actually want. Is there a way to change this?

At any rate, if this suggestion ends up being implemented I would be willing to make a $40 donation. It isn't much, but I appreciate everything you guys do, and I'm asking for something, so it's my way of saying 'thanks.'

SupraKarma

Supporter
RL Member
I actually had your media in mind when I thought of this. :) You've pushed the envelope quite far... so far, in fact, that now I notice limitations that I wouldn't have otherwise. That's not to say that RocketLauncher isn't very powerful as is.

But since I'm putting this on the table, can you think of any other tabs that might benefit from this idea?

bleasby

RocketLauncher Developer
Developer
Example 1: If I'm playing an RPG like Final Fantasy that came with multiple pieces of literature (a map, a reference card, a quick guide, etc.) it would be nice to be able to put it all in one folder, that way I can navigate more quickly. I experimented a bit, and it seems that using a folder will work for png files, but not PDF files, which is what I really need. I don't want to put this stuff in the 'guides' tab, because it was the game specific literature.

I probably did not understood correctly your request. I just don't see how this would work with pdf fies.
Image files inside a folder can be arranged sequentially, side by side, as you already know without any problems in the guides, manuals and controller menus.
However, pdf files are made of several pages. Do you want me to show the pages for a second pdf file only after you scroll through all the pages of the first pdf?
It wouldn't be the same as simply combining the multiple pdf files into a single one instead?

Could you please elaborated more about your request so I can understand it better?
Just give me more details on how this would work in your opinion.

Example 2: Maybe I'm playing NES, and I want to add multiple NES commercials, but I don't want to have to scroll through all of them every time I want to play a game specific video. In this situation, it would be nice to put them all in a folder called 'Commercials', that way I only have to scroll past it one time.

There is a performance and requirements reason why it wouldn't be recommended scrolling horizontally between different videos.
RL uses the windows media player api to show its videos, it would be a really resource hog to implement multiple video canvas to it.
Anyway, I could probably create a work around to that with a alternative navigation method for videos. I can try to figure out something about this in the future.

Navigation is kind of a pain the way I have things set up. Every time I try to scroll to a new pdf or video file, it stops and loads it without letting me 'fast skip' to the pdf or video I actually want. Is there a way to change this?

Checking and improving the video scrolling is in my todo list for quite some time. I can assure you that is really one of my highest priorities.

But just to give you a perspective why my contributions have been slowing down this year.
I just moved to another country and I am trying to adapt myself to the new life, work and language around here.
Things are very demanding right now in my personal life, but rest assured that I have nice things planned on improving RL (and specially the pause menu) once I am able to get back to work on it as I would like.

SupraKarma

Supporter
RL Member
I probably did not understood correctly your request. I just don't see how this would work with pdf fies.
Image files inside a folder can be arranged sequentially, side by side, as you already know without any problems in the guides, manuals and controller menus.
However, pdf files are made of several pages. Do you want me to show the pages for a second pdf file only after you scroll through all the pages of the first pdf?
It wouldn't be the same as simply combining the multiple pdf files into a single one instead?

Could you please elaborated more about your request so I can understand it better?
Just give me more details on how this would work in your opinion.

There is a performance and requirements reason why it wouldn't be recommended scrolling horizontally between different videos.
RL uses the windows media player api to show its videos, it would be a really resource hog to implement multiple video canvas to it.
Anyway, I could probably create a work around to that with a alternative navigation method for videos. I can try to figure out something about this in the future.

Checking and improving the video scrolling is in my todo list for quite some time. I can assure you that is really one of my highest priorities.

But just to give you a perspective why my contributions have been slowing down this year.
I just moved to another country and I am trying to adapt myself to the new life, work and language around here.
Things are very demanding right now in my personal life, but rest assured that I have nice things planned on improving RL (and specially the pause menu) once I am able to get back to work on it as I would like.

That's a valid point, I hadn't even considered that.

Perhaps the PDF files could be a single image previews, then when you highlight and select it, it could expand to show the entire PDF, then when you press the button again, it could collapse again to the image preview. This would make organization and navigation a breeze, and it possibly (?) even reduce loading times if the entire contents of PDF files aren't loaded on the fly.

For the folders in the videos, perhaps the same idea could work - the name of the folder appears, but it doesn't open unless highlighted and selected. Then once selected, it could open vertically like normal. You could then press the 'back' button to go back to the root folder.

Bleasby, thank you so much for everything you've contributed to RocketLauncher. It truly is one of the greatest things I've ever worked with when it comes to emulation, or even gaming in general. You and the other Rocketlauncher developers have helped me realize a life long dream of the 'ultimate' retro gaming setup. It never could have happened through my own efforts alone. I'm very much looking forward to what you have planned, and please, take care of yourself.