Mame won't run game from Rocketlauncher but works fine via command line

jevansoh

RL Member
I'm having trouble getting Rocketlauncher to launch a MAME game.

When I launch it, it just opens a window and closes it very quickly and I can't see what the window is or what it says. It then hangs for about a minute or two then finally closes the rocketlauncher.exe process.

I looked at the log and see the following command line:

D:\Arcade\Emulators\MAME\MAME 241\mame.exe" 1942 -rompath "D:\Arcade\System roms\MAME\roms

When I run that command by itself, the game loads just fine without issue.

Here is a link to my log.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

jevansoh

RL Member
Please remove the space in your rompath.

D:\Arcade\System roms\MAME\roms

Try:

D:\Arcade\System_roms\MAME\roms

Thanks, but I have around 400 systems that all use that "System Roms" path and they all work just fine except for MAME. Are you suggesting I rename the actual path or somehow change it in RL? I can only see how to select folders from a GUI and don't see how to enter an actual path in RL. Is that possible?

Thanks again.

jevansoh

RL Member
Please remove the space in your rompath.

D:\Arcade\System roms\MAME\roms

Try:

D:\Arcade\System_roms\MAME\roms
I went ahead and tried it as a test anyway, but unfortunately, it still isn't working. I renamed the folder "System_Roms" for the test but get the same results.

Flostingyeti

RL Member
Mame is the only emulator that can have issues launching games when there are spaces in the directory path.

It might not be what's causing the issue but I always suggest removing spaces before attempting any troubleshooting.

Unfortunately since all your roms are within the "System Roms" folder, it would be very inconvenient to adjust the directory for 400 systems.

jevansoh

RL Member
Mame is the only emulator that can have issues launching games when there are spaces in the directory path.

It might not be what's causing the issue but I always suggest removing spaces before attempting any troubleshooting.

Unfortunately since all your roms are within the "System Roms" folder, it would be very inconvenient to adjust the directory for 400 systems.

Thanks for the suggestion. I did go ahead and try renaming the folder temporarily to see if it made a difference and unfortunately, it did not.

The snippet example I gave above for the command line that I copied from the RL Log works, but if you look at the log, there is a lot more to it. If I copy/paste the whole string into the dos prompt, it does not work. Only if I take just the snippet I posted above.

Can you look at the whole command line in the log and tell me if that's where my problem lies? I wouldn't know how to change or alter it, but at least I could get confirmation that wasn't the issue.

I don't understand why it works outside of RL just fine with that command though??

Thanks.

Flostingyeti

RL Member
Can you look at the whole command line in the log and tell me if that's where my problem lies?
I looked through your log and compared it to my log (when launching a rom in Mame 0.252) and the process looked mostly the same.

Last edited:

Flostingyeti

RL Member
Have you attempted using the current MAME 0.252?

When in doubt, always test the current MAME version with a current romset.

jevansoh

RL Member
Have you attempted using the current MAME 0.252?

When in doubt, always test the current MAME version with a current romset.

Yes, I've tried 3 different versions including the newest. They all do the same thing. They all work from a command line and when I open their respective GUI's. None of them work when launched with RL, though. :(

jevansoh

RL Member
If I go to a command line and just type "mame64 1942" it loads the game just fine. So it's got to be some setting in RL, right?

agent47

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
RL Member
Your logging level isn't set correctly so it's missing most of the important information needed to help you. It needs to be set to Troubleshooting as mentioned here.

From what little info is in there your SkipChecks for MAME should be set to "Rom Only" not "Rom and Extension".

Please post a log set to the correct logging level.