[SOLVED] Mednafen NES + Bezel

Boltzmann

Supporter
RL Member
Greetings,

I'm posting this here in case someone else has the same problem - my own issue has been solved. I use Mednafen to play NES games, and when trying to apply bezels the emulator never fit the bezel correctly (I'm using Nosh's 1920 x 1200 Bezel) - there was always a blank space on the right. After a bit of googling and skimming some threads on the Hyperspin forums, I found a 2013 post by bleasby suggesting possible changes on Mednafen's AHK module (in another context, for the SNES). I'm using the module's latest version available on GIT, 2.0.9, and this is the corresponding line for the NES:

Code:
} Else If ident = nes
	{	bezelXres := IniReadCheck(settingsFile, "Settings", "Bezel_X_Res",298,,1)

I find it a rather odd resolution, since NES games run at 256 x 240. So I changed the xres from 298 to 256, and presto! it worked perfectly: now the emulator window fits the bezel snugly.

I'm also posting this here in case the aforementioned line in the current Mednafen module is wrong in general, and not just for my setup - so enabling the developers to fix it. However, I'm fully aware that the original module is probably correct - you guys are much smarter and knowledgeable than I am :)

Anyway, thanks for your wonderful program!

bleasby

RocketLauncher Developer
Developer
Greetings,

I'm posting this here in case someone else has the same problem - my own issue has been solved. I use Mednafen to play NES games, and when trying to apply bezels the emulator never fit the bezel correctly (I'm using Nosh's 1920 x 1200 Bezel) - there was always a blank space on the right. After a bit of googling and skimming some threads on the Hyperspin forums, I found a 2013 post by bleasby suggesting possible changes on Mednafen's AHK module (in another context, for the SNES). I'm using the module's latest version available on GIT, 2.0.9, and this is the corresponding line for the NES:

Code:
} Else If ident = nes
	{	bezelXres := IniReadCheck(settingsFile, "Settings", "Bezel_X_Res",298,,1)

I find it a rather odd resolution, since NES games run at 256 x 240. So I changed the xres from 298 to 256, and presto! it worked perfectly: now the emulator window fits the bezel snugly.

I'm also posting this here in case the aforementioned line in the current Mednafen module is wrong in general, and not just for my setup - so enabling the developers to fix it. However, I'm fully aware that the original module is probably correct - you guys are much smarter and knowledgeable than I am :)

Anyway, thanks for your wonderful program!

Thks for the posting.

The updated module that will come when we have the next hyperlaunch update ready has an improved way to deal with the mednafen xscale and yscale parameters to avoid this problem.

The new default values for snes are 256x224 which seams to be more in the line with the native snes game res. Other systems have also improved values for this parameter. Also, you don't have to edit the module to change that value. It is just a matter of using the module options on HLHQ to fill that info.

Additionally, to have a perfect bezel game fit and also rotation support when necessary we need to define the real native resolution for each game that differs from the default ones stabilished on the module. That is required because I have to define how much the game will be scaled before launching it, because of the way mednafen works.

This can be made by filling the resolutions.ini files as explained on this post.
http://www.hyperspin-fe.com/forum/s...ep-Walkthrough&p=302984&viewfull=1#post302984

On the same post you will see that I included a script to get that resolution automatically from opening all games that you have on a folder with mednafen and acquire the game native resolution.

Anyone that wants to help with filling that info, so bezel screens and rotate games work flawless, just need to run that script under a complete HS rom set to get that info.

Any help on that is more than wellcome.

Boltzmann

Supporter
RL Member
Thanks for the extra info. Now I know how to use those HLHQ options (I just knew I was making things unnecessarily complicated. If I had a full rom set for NES and/or SNES, I'd run your script - alas, I've just a small collection of games that I intend to play (even if the expected lead time is rather long).

BTW, I'm eagerly waiting the new HL version. These tantalizing hints are really working ;)