Nintendo 64 bezel issue

ninjalo

RL Member
I've recently starting using the newly released GLideN64 v1.0 plugin along with the newest GIT release of Project 64. So far it's amazing, you have tons of options to choose from and quite a few previously problematic games are working now thanks to this plugin and the work done on PJ64. My problem is, it doesn't seem to like the bezel code. I've tried altering the coordinates in the bezel ini, I've tried manually setting offsets in the module to no avail. I even went as far as manually editing the plugin's ini as the windowed resolutions are fairly limited, so it's probably the plugin itself. It's not a game breaker, it just irritates my OCD as I have bezels for every other system other than OpenBoR, but I'm not going to hijack my own thread about that lol. Thanks in advance guys.

rfancella

Super Moderator
Supporter
RL Member
Hi,
Hope I can help out with this.
The Project64 bezel function is what is called fixed resolution mode.
What this means is, the emulator does not allow itself to be resized. The emulator is launched and the bezel is then drawn around the emulator window.
So, for it to look seamless and full screen the bezel has to be designed around your screen size and emulator window size.
Example:
I have a screen that is set to 1680x1050 and my emulator lauches at 1024x768.
So my bezel is 1680x1050 with a transparent cutout that measures 1020x768.
Looks perfect.

Could you post a screen shot of your display with the bezel and emulator running?

Thanks,
Ron

I've recently starting using the newly released GLideN64 v1.0 plugin along with the newest GIT release of Project 64. So far it's amazing, you have tons of options to choose from and quite a few previously problematic games are working now thanks to this plugin and the work done on PJ64. My problem is, it doesn't seem to like the bezel code. I've tried altering the coordinates in the bezel ini, I've tried manually setting offsets in the module to no avail. I even went as far as manually editing the plugin's ini as the windowed resolutions are fairly limited, so it's probably the plugin itself. It's not a game breaker, it just irritates my OCD as I have bezels for every other system other than OpenBoR, but I'm not going to hijack my own thread about that lol. Thanks in advance guys.

ninjalo

RL Member
Hi Ron! The resolution I run at is 1600x900, this seems to be the only bezel giving me problems lol. Here is the screen shot you requested:

20150508124139.jpg

The module I'm using is Project64 (v20120726 build 57).ahk, I was looking through it and didn't see the code for fixed res mode. I tried it, but then it shrinks my screen down like this:

20150508124729.jpg

I'm at a loss here :( Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

bleasby

RocketLauncher Developer
Developer
rfancella is correct. If nothing changed, project 64 did not allowed custom sized windows so the module should use the fixResMode instead.

The problem is that the module "Project64 (v20120726 build 57)" has a bad defined bezel code and the module "Project64 (v1.6.1)" do not even have any bezel code.

I don't control that much the nintendo 64 stuff, but if someone test the different versions of project 64 and make sure that it is impossible to resize the window after you load game we could try to add the appropriated changes to add proper bezel support for these modules.

ninjalo

RL Member
Well, after some more fiddling, and by trying what Ron said, as far as resizing my bezel and changing the cutout area it seems to be working now. It's a little rough, but it does the job. Thanks fellas, I appreciate it :)

EDIT: Now to try and get the OpenBoR bezel to work, and I'll be all set, thanks again!
EDIT 2: Fixed my OpenBoR bezel problem, the bezel folder was named wrong, lol, little things I swear :)

Last edited:

djvj

Administrator
Staff member
Developer
The Project64 (v2.x) is the module that should be used for the newer PJ64 releases out there. That 2012 version is for a much older version and it doesn't sound like that's what you are using.

SupraKarma

Supporter
RL Member
I can't get this to work at all. My system resolution is 1600x900. The bezel is 1600x900, and Project64 resolution is set to 1024x768 (not that it matters). When I boot up the emulator, the bezel appears in the middle of the screen, and the Emulator window will start from the corner that the bezel is in, and draw down and to the right - meaning, no matter what resolution I set the emulator to, it will never appear centered in the screen.

Here's a screenshot of what's happening. I followed previous steps, and I'm using Project64U_WIP_27_01_2016 (the one recommended for Nintendo 64DD games), and the Project64 (v2.x).ahk module.

20170924143107.png

Here's a log.

https://pastebin.com/aZt0w9eJ

I'd appreciate any help. :)

Edit: This is not the only system I have this issue with - OpenMSX is another one, and OpenBOR. I'm thinking 'fixed resolution' mode is not working with my system for whatever reason.

ninjalo

RL Member
I finally gave up on PJ64 because of the bezel issue to be honest. Even after following rfancella's suggestions, it still went wonky every now and then. I switched to the Mupen core through Retroarch. It plays the games that I usually play on N64 just as good as PJ64 and no more bezel issues.

raul

I finally gave up on PJ64 because of the bezel issue to be honest. Even after following rfancella's suggestions, it still went wonky every book of ra deluxe. I switched to the Mupen core through Retroarch. It plays the games that I usually play on N64 just as good as PJ64 and no more bezel issues.

Gotta try it!

Last edited: