Pause Internet Browser

ghutch92

Supporter
RL Member
VIP
Is there a way I can launch an internet browser from the hyperpause menu?

djvj

Administrator
Staff member
Developer
Re: Hyperpause Internet Browser

There is a lot more involved than just launching a browser even if we got that to work. The first thing that comes to mind is keyboard support. There needs to be a way of your keyboard keys going straight to the browser window and not handled by HL.

What are you after here though? Why do you see a need for a browser window?

ghutch92

Supporter
RL Member
VIP

lookup youtube videos on how to beat certain levels. I know hyperpause has video support but I usually don't think I need video or item map help until I reach that point in the game.

Also if it could be a generic launcher tied to a Hyperpause menu item, I have other plans for it, but for right now I just want the browser.

bleasby

RocketLauncher Developer
Developer

The way I see there are two options here:

Option 1) Do you want a youtube video launcher menu?

Basically a menu named youtube, that would read a user generated url videos list (a txt file or something like it), and play the current selected video like the videos menu does.
I would probably be able to make it work just as the videos menu work, avoiding the need for a mouse and having fully control through a normal arcade control panel.
The problem is that the videos list should be predefined by the user (no search function option for this).

Option 2) Do you want a program launcher menu?

A menu named launcher or something like it, that again would read from a user generated list to execute a run command if you select one of the list options.

The thing is, any browser or internet webpage is made to work with a mouse (or touch) input and a keyboard. This is very specific and outside of the scope of an arcade machine. It can be done, but I don't see much the use for it as the controls need to be much more complex like djvj mentioned.
Could you elaborate a little bit more of the plans that you could have for this feature, so we could try to see what is the best way to handle it?

brolly

Administrator
Developer

We shouldn't think about HyperLaunch as being used on arcade machines only, in fact I don't think the normal usage will be on arcade machines. That's a very small niche and most users are most likely using it on HTPC setups so for me requiring a keyboard for some actions isn't an issue.
From what I understood ghutch wants to be able to search youtube manually and not just select the videos from a pre-defined list. If there's interest we can make this work without even requiring the user to have any browser installed too. djvj raised a good point about the keypresses though, as they would probably end up being captured by HL if they are used on any hotkeys which could mean exiting the game while doing something within the browser.

djvj

Administrator
Staff member
Developer

I wonder if we can do something with Kyle browser. I use it in xbmc. I'm also in the boat that I'll only use HL in my htpc.

Sent from my Samsung S3 using Tapatalk

brolly

Administrator
Developer

I was thinking more along the lines of node webkit which is very lite and could be included in the extensions folder as a single executable. It will also allow us to easily add js code to it on startup, I can get you an example running so you can check it out.
Kylo browser (which I also use, I think you meant to type Kylo not Kyle) requires installation and imo we should try and keep HL fully portable. That being said we could allow users to use a different browser if they want to.

ghutch92

Supporter
RL Member
VIP

I personally want to add menu items to hyperpause with custom names. Like maybe a custom name like "Internet" that launches a browser that you guys don't have to upkeep. Personally my other desire was to add a custom name called "Options" that would open hlhq in game.

Last edited by a moderator:

djvj

Administrator
Staff member
Developer

Edited your post ghutch, please do not discuss unannounced beta features in public. But to answer your question, brolly already created a method but using a hotkey. It could be edited to also support CLI.