[SOLVED] Pause Menu Has No options.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mccorkled

RL Member
I began setting my pause screen up the other night primarily for save and load states since I am tired of having to alt+tab the emulator and use the keyboard. I need a seamless experience (don't we all.)

So... I first enable pause and set the key and all of that. Easy. I randomly came across this guy on YouTube whom is a member on this forum. RetroHumanoid. Great content. I download his magazine packs and grabbed a bunch of manuals off of Emumovies.

When I pause a game the menu items were all there so I figured simply dropping the content in the right folder would be simple enough. This all seemed like a plug and play setup.

I went to the RL Wiki and figured out how everything needed to be placed.

Guides

Preferred format: TXTs and PNGs
Accepted formats: PDF, TXT, PNG, BMP, GIF, JPG and TIP. Compressed Image files in ZIP, RAR, 7Z, LZH, GZIP, and TAR formats are also supported.
Main Contents: txt walkthroughs and Map images
Folder Location:
Game guides: .\RocketLauncher\Media\Guides\%systemname%\%romname%\ Walkthroughs.txt (if the game is a multidisc game and has guide contents that serves to all discs you should place the guide file on .\RocketLauncher\Media\Guides\%systemname%\%romnamewithoutdiscinfo%\Walkthroughs.txt)
Scanned Map Guide images can be grouped by simply copying all image files on the same folder and placing the folder on the Pause manual folder (for example, .\RocketLauncher\Media\Guides\Sony PlayStation\Final Fantasy VII (USA)\Maps\image *.png)
You can also group images by compressing them at the same file together. Just remember that the decompress time will cause a small delay at Pause first run. (for example, .\RocketLauncher\Media\Manuals\Sony Playstation\Final Fantasy VII (USA)\Maps.7z).
Warning: If you can, avoid using too many and too large txt files as this will slow down HP loading.

I placed my manuals into:

S:\Hyperspin\RocketLauncher\Media\Manuals\Amstrad GX4000\Barbarian 2 (Europe)\Manual.pdf

and when I went back into pause, all of the menu items were no longer displaying. It seems as though placing items into the correct directories breaks the menu. When the pdf files are just in
S:\Hyperspin\RocketLauncher\Media\Manuals\%gamename.pdf%
the menu titles load fine. (Side note: if anyone knows a quick way to title all of the pdf files in different folders to all say "Manual" that would be great.)

@bleasby (in another thread) linked to an updated pause.ahk file and when I replace the one I currently had (from the latest push) all of the menu items came back, but as you can see int he screenshot below, nothing is coming up under the manual section.

212et1w.jpg

Here is the link to the manual I am testing with. Only Barbarian 2 (Europe) is titled "Manual.pdf" within the folder because I did not want to go changing a bunch of files, only to find out there was an easier way to make this all work.

Here is the manuals folder I am working with

2i2sgk.png

Here is the RL log

Also, when I opened RLUI earlier it said there were new updates. One of them was the pause.ahk file. I went ahead and updated again and now the menu items are not displaying again.

Last edited:

bleasby

RocketLauncher Developer
Developer
The folders allow to support multiple manual files. If they didn't existed you would only be able to have one manual/guide/artwork/... per game, which is a huge limitation.
Besides, supporting at the same time the folders and the single file only options was discarded a long time ago because it would add extra loading time because the need for searching for files in unnecessary extra locations.
Anyway, using the folder structure is deadly simple, and if you need to convert one from another there are many apps that do that for you already around, just google for file to folders utilities for example.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

mccorkled

RL Member
I am not getting any errors. All other RL functions work off the NAS. It is mapped to a physical drive and not just a network drive. Custom backgrounds in Pause are working just fine.

mccorkled, your problem is most porbably related with RocketLaucnher not having the correct permissions to work from your NAS drive.

Please, follow this guide to try to solve your issue:

http://www.rlauncher.com/wiki/index.php?title=Using_RocketLauncher_over_UNC

From what the Wiki says, it is supposed to be called Manual.pdf

As long as it is in a folder named after the game then it doesn't matter what the pdf name is

bleasby

RocketLauncher Developer
Developer
Manuals can be named anything, as long as they are in the right folders.
The filename is only used to give name to the label in the pause menu.
Tell me exactly were did you read in the wiki about that so I can fix that.

Also, the last RL official files do not have any bug related with missing pause menu labels.
If this is happening to you with the latest files it is either a permissions issue, that is why I suspected of the NAS issue, or something that I cannot reproduce on my end.

From your log it seams that you do not have admin rights on your account.
Code:
                    OS Admin Status: No
Maybe this could be limiting the RL access to your mapped drive. Try to run RL from a admin account to see if it makes any difference.
Also, you could try to run RL in admin mode to see if it makes any difference.
And if I were you I would try anyway the wiki suggestions even if you assume a priori that they would not make any difference for you cause.

By the way, the error message would not be directly visible on your screen even if ti is happening because the pause menu would probably be draw above it. Try to alt tab and see if you can see the window preview on alt tab to look if a error message is being reported at the background.
Also, backgrounds working doesn't mean that the manuals will work. Pdf manuals requires write permissions to work on RL, while most of the other RL features only requires read permissions.

Besides all that, the only thing that I could do is to wait for other users to report having your specific issue to have more info about it.

Also, I would ask you to please post a log were you actually access the manual menu at pause and exit RL after it.
The log that you provided does not show you actually going to the manuals menu, just shows you opening the pause screen, going to the Controller, LoadState and Artwork menus and exiting the pause menu.

mccorkled

RL Member
Here is the Wiki that I used to set everything up... I used the portion that said "Manuals"

Folder Location:

game manuals: .\RocketLauncher\Media\Manuals\%systemname%\%romname%\Manual.pdf (if the game is a multidisc game and has manual contents that serves to all discs you should place the manual on .\RocketLauncher\Media\Manuals\%systemname%\%romnamewithoutdiscinfo%\Manual.pdf)

Here is the log after running RLUI with admin rights. I assume that also boots RL in admin rights.

Last edited:

mccorkled

RL Member
Here is the log.

The menu is showing again but the manuals sections is still showing nothing. However, the screenshots I took are displaying under the pause menu.

Here is the path to my artwork for the game I tested. S:\Hyperspin\RocketLauncher\Media\Manuals\Amstrad GX4000\Barbarian 2 (Europe)\Barbarian 2 (Europe).pdf
Here is the path for the screenshots. S:\Hyperspin\RocketLauncher\Media\Artwork\Amstrad GX4000\Barbarian 2 (Europe)\Screenshots

It seems like the manuals may need to be in a folder like... S:\Hyperspin\RocketLauncher\Media\Manuals\Amstrad GX4000\Manuals\Barbarian 2 (Europe)\Barbarian 2 (Europe).pdf which seems redundant.

Here are the screen shots:

352qhjq.jpg

723nfd.jpg

2586q84.jpg

bleasby

RocketLauncher Developer
Developer
The problem has nothing to do with screenshots or other pause feature.

I just added more logs to the previous pause.ahk link that I posted here. Please make sure you force an update on RLUI to have the latest files, then replace the pause.ahk file with the one provided on my previous post.
Then, post here a log and also your RocketLauncher\settings\global pause.ini and the RocketLauncher\settings\system name\pause.ini files.

By the way, I don't know where you get these things, but there is no need for extra redundant manual folders as you mentioned above.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.