Question and suggestion for JoyToKey

rfancella

Super Moderator
Supporter
RL Member
Hello all!

I am currently trying to get JoyToKey setup and working.
The issue I have is, every time I create a new profile, the new joytokey.ini file that is created does not have my Key in it. So it launches as un-registered. Is there a place that the default template resides or is it generated on-the-fly?
The fix is pretty easy, but it requires opening up each ini file and pasting the key into it.

Suggestion:
Could RL look in the JoyToKey install directory for the JoyToKey.ini and scrape out everything from the [License] section and include it in the new profile? This file should only exist in the JoyToKey directory or in the %appdata%\JoyToKey directory. If it exists it should be there.

Thanks,
Ron

brolly

Administrator
Developer
I can have a look at it, please post an example of the License section. Don't use any real data obviously, only need the key names to be correct. I don't have a licensed JoyToKey so wasn't aware that section existed.

rfancella

Super Moderator
Supporter
RL Member
Brolly,
Thank you!
Below is the license section that appears at the top of the file:

Code:
[License]
Key=GQ4F-W5JH-R2GV
TS=42114.5893739583
Version=Version 5.7

Not sure what the TS is.

I also found out by digging a little more, the location of the JoyToKey.ini can actually be in three places:
In the exe directory (default).
In the %appdata% directory.
In the Registry as HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\JoyToKey
String value "IniFilePath=c:\Whatever\Path\JoyToKey.ini"

Not sure if the Version even matters, but maybe just the option to put the key in some default template or something like that?

Thanks,
Ron

I can have a look at it, please post an example of the License section. Don't use any real data obviously, only need the key names to be correct. I don't have a licensed JoyToKey so wasn't aware that section existed.

brolly

Administrator
Developer
Thanks. I don't think I need a template, it's just a matter of reading the values for those keys and add them to the newly created files.
Do you know the order JoyToKey will search on those locations?

rfancella

Super Moderator
Supporter
RL Member
Thanks. I don't think I need a template, it's just a matter of reading the values for those keys and add them to the newly created files.
Nothing I have read indicates. But I would suggest this order.
The registry
%appdata%
The exe directory

The first two have to be done manually. The first being the most "extreme".
Just my thoughts.

Thanks,
Ron

rfancella

Super Moderator
Supporter
RL Member

Ok,
So I did a little testing.
The %appdata% folder is a bust. JoyToKey does not use it. It uses C:\ProgramData\JoyToKey or for legacy C:\Users\All Users\JoyToKey instead.
The order appears to be:
All Users over exe dir. But if there is a ini in both directories, it looks at both. Using the key if it's in either one.
The registry is what it uses, if specified, and nothing else.
This is the correct order:

Registry
C:\Users\All Users\JoyToKey\JoyToKey.ini
Exe directory.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,
Ron