Selecting sub-games in Steam/PCLauncher

joec3109

RL Member
Hey everyone, again thank you to the whole HL team for all the continued hard work. The new update has been great.

Was curious if something like this could be added; for certain Steam games, such as Duke Nukem 3D, there are several different expansions available when you load the game. I noticed that the current script defaults to chose the first one, which for most games is ideal. Would there be any way to add an option for the script to stop at the first screen, where it gives you list of playable expansions, let you choose one with your keymapper, and then continue the script as it normally would? Or even be able to add this as an option that is normally turned off by default, but can be turned on for certain games in the module settings?

Hopefully I described that well enough, if not I should be able to attach a screenshot. Either way, thanks again HL team for all your hard work.

djvj

Administrator
Staff member
Developer
Wouldn't you just create a PostLaunch script? It won't have proper keymapper support, but that's how you handle launcher windows from PC games.

joec3109

RL Member
I see what ur saying, the only thing is that Steam launcher seems a little different. The script seems to immediately chose the first option without giving the user any opportunity to cycle through, so creating a script wouldn't stop the main one I'd imagine. I attached a screenshot of it, it's the gray box in the middle.

Attachments

• Steam Launcher.png
    Steam Launcher.png
    474.1 KB · Views: 13

djvj

Administrator
Staff member
Developer
joec, launch AutoIt3 Window Spy (installs when you install ahk) and see if that window has a window title and/or class name and if it's different than steams. I don't think ahk can differentiate child windows within steam from the main app itself, which means there nothing the module can do to help you with those.

joec3109

RL Member
I just checked it out, and surprisingly it does come up as a different window. The window appears to be named the same as the game name, ie. 'Duke Nukem 3D Megaton Edition' in this case. Conveniently I think it's the same name as the Steam Wheel Creator gives it, if that helps down the road at all.

djvj

Administrator
Staff member
Developer
That's good for you then. You can make yourself a PostLaunch script to choose the selection you want.

It's just like any other pc game's launcher.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

joec3109

RL Member
Yea, the only thing is that it seems the built in script for Steam games within the module automatically chooses the first option as part of the script, to the point where you don't even see the window I mentioned come up, you may see it for a second saying "Preparing to launch (game name)", and then it launches. I'll probably have to take a look at the script itself and see how it works, I'd imagine it just sends Enter or something to get through that screen.

djvj

Administrator
Staff member
Developer
There is no built-in script for steam games that's going to handle anything post-launch. It's just going to do the initial launch. It's possible the way HL does it is slightly different than how you launch it manually, and not showing that menu at all.