Sorting files into individual folders - is there an easier way?

SupraKarma

Supporter
RL Member
I have 786 NES instruction manuals I just downloaded. They're all named after the specific ROMs. It's times like this that I wish that Rocketlauncher had some sort of an option to utilize the HyperSpin style of media organization. I was looking under settings/plugins, and noticed there is a 'manual' configuration that is unused for HyperSpin. So I was wondering, why not make it so that whatever you configure the label to be, Rocketlauncher will look in your HyperSpin assets for that folder.

For example, Manual labels = manuals, and I have a folder in HyperSpin/media/Nintendo Entertainment System/manuals. Or something similar. Then Rocketlauncher would automatically load up any pdf files named after the ROM. It just makes sense. Rocketlauncher already works this way for the Artwork label - it loads up the HyperSpin media with labels Artwork1, Artwork2, Artwork3, and Artwork 4, and it also loads up the Rocketlauncher media that is divided into individual directories per game.

I'm not complaining. Rocketlauncher is a very powerful interface, and there are clear advantages to having everything in individual folders, most notably, the ability to have Rocketlauncher utilize multiple files. But again... times like these... I've got 786 intruction manuals, and I want that perfect NES setup, so I'm probably going to spend 6+ hours organizing files. I'll never have more than one instruction manual. It would be nice if Rocketlauncher gave the option to organize your media either way for Hyperspin users.

I was also wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction as far as any kind of tools that would make this process easier? For HyperSpin Don's tools are incredible but I'm not aware of anything like that for Rocketlauncher. If there's a tool that will batch name and sort directories off of a database or something like that, that would be incredible.

BATTLEDONKEY

RL Member
I used fat match from the hyperspin downloads section to rename my manuals n such. Just point it to your existing roms folder or even a media folder, and then point the rename field to your manuals and rename all manuals in a couple clicks of the mouse.

You can also use file2folder (also can be found in the hyperspin downloads) to place all manuals into individual named folders so they can work with rocketlauncher

SupraKarma

Supporter
RL Member
Oh man, that files2folder is too good. It took me all of 3 seconds to do what would have taken 6+ hours manually. I can't thank you enough.

Just a heads up for anyone wanting to use this one windows 10, when you click on the .exe to install the shell extension, right click it and run it as an administrator. It won't work otherwise. Super simple, and rocketlauncher media is now 100 times easier to manage.

Ninja2bseen

RL Member
There is an app on Hyperspin named files into folders to get the job done. The only problem is naming the folders correctly because most rl media has to be named something specific

mccorkled

RL Member
There is an app on Hyperspin named files into folders to get the job done. The only problem is naming the folders correctly because most rl media has to be named something specific

If you use Don's Rom Renamer tool to name the manuals off of your rom set, you then use files2folders to put them in folders named the same as your rom sets. The manuals can be named anything but the folder must match the roms.

Ninja2bseen

RL Member
The rl media set on the ftp is incorrectly named so I'd say everyone has a half baked fade screen if they got their media from the ftp. If the folder isn't exactly the same as the game name, then the pause, rl media on the fade screen will not work

bleasby

RocketLauncher Developer
Developer
I was looking under settings/plugins, and noticed there is a 'manual' configuration that is unused for HyperSpin.

I never heard of HyperSpin having manuals support, that is why it was never added them to the HS plugin.
If that is the case, you just need to adjust a little the HyperSpin plugin on rocketlauncher to find such asset on HyperSpin folders.
Other frontend plugins already acquires the manuals from the frontend folders, like for example the launchbox plugin.
Anyone could easily extend the HyperSpin plugin following the existent examples to acquire the manual files also, and if enough information is provided about the folder structure I could add support for that myself.

About RocketLauncher changing its own media structure, this was already brought into discussion a few times before.
In summary, my opinion is against that as it would bring more confusion and disorganization to the table.
There are several different ways to organizing your files, hyperspin and launchbox for example use very different folder structures. We gave a lot of thought to implement the more capable, structured and not limiting folder organization possible when we first started developing RL.
Besides, the frontend plugins exist exactly to provide support for acquiring whatever art asset the frontends has in whatever folder organization they use.

agent47

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
RL Member
I never heard of HyperSpin having manuals support, that is why it was never added them to the HS plugin.

HS doesn't have manual support. I think he was just using the HS media structure as an example where all of the images are in a single folder as opposed to RL where they are divided into subfolders based on the game name.