System Audit considering Rom Mapping

caliero

RL Member
Hello

Fist of all, thank you very much for this amazing piece of software! and i apologize in advance for my bad english :smile: .

This was suggested before but the thread was closed so I have to start a new one, i hope it's OK.

Would it be possible to System Audit to consider Rom Mapping in order to check if a rom is "Found" or not?

System Audit and Rom Mapping are two amazing features but if System Audit doesn't consider Rom Mapping then it becomes useless. Brolly said that it would be too complex to implement but i really don't understand why. Right now System Audit just tries to match a name in the db with a file in the romPath. If the rom wasn't found,Why would it be difficult to check Rom Mapping and try to find also the alternate names associated with the rom?

Thanks in advance!

djvj

Administrator
Staff member
Developer
You don't understand why because you are not a programmer. It would require a ton of work just to do what to you seems simple. Sometimes to get from a to b requires many little things in between. This is one of those cases. I would love to have support for this as well but I know what it would take, I would never ask him to get this done. It would be one thing if this was our job and we got paid for doing this, but we don't, so it has to be fun instead. Once things start feeling like a chore, we burn out.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

caliero

RL Member
If I'm not mistaken, when you launch a rom and Rom Mapping is enabled, RocketLauncher gets the alternate names associated with the rom and it looks for them in the romPath, so it is actually already implemented in RocketLauncher.

Last edited:

jeremy0203

Supporter
RL Member
If it was already implemented to be able to do it then I doubt two of the people that develop the program would tell you it is something too hard that they don't want to do.

caliero

RL Member
The search for alternate names is implemented in RocketLauncher. Of course it is not implemented in RocketLauncherUI when you use SystemAudit or I wouldn't be asking for it.

Last edited:

jeremy0203

Supporter
RL Member
You said it was implemented though already, as if the two functions would utilize the same method to get the job done.

brolly

Administrator
Developer
This would mean rewriting basically the WHOLE rom mapping feature in RLUI which uses a completely different technology just for auditing purposes so I'm sorry, but that's not going to happen as there are a lot more important things on our todo list than supporting this and our free time is limited. Maybe one day if I find myself bored and with a lot of free time, but better don't count with it.

Besides, rom mapping auditing is pointless imo since there's not a 1 to 1 relation between the database entries and your roms, the whole point in auditing is to assure your roms match your database, if you use rom mapping then you are basically going a customized route so rom names matching your database doesn't matter to you.
I have no clue why not being able to audit when you're using rom mapping makes the feature useless, that I simply don't understand. You also can't audit PC games or MAME roms properly so are these useless as well?

caliero

RL Member
Not being able to audit when you are using rom mapping doesn't make rom mapping useless, it makes audit useless, or at least not very useful, for that system.

I don't understand why rom mapping auditing is pointless :dontknow: I don't want audit to tell me if the roms names match the database names exactly, we have 3rd party apps that do that. I want audit to tell me if for every game in the db , I have at least one rom that is related to it or not.

Anyway, as you said it's not going to happen any time soon, but I hope it gets implemented one day.

Thank you very much for your time brolly!

Last edited:

brolly

Administrator
Developer
I don't understand why rom mapping auditing is pointless :dontknow: I don't want audit to tell me if the roms names match the database names exactly.
Thing is that's exactly what auditing was designed for since the beginning and I always made that very clear not to create other kind of expectations like auditing MAME roms for instance...
And this is exactly what probably more than 90% of the RL users need anyway. Not sure what 3rd party applications you are referring to, but by the time we released the very first version of RLUI (HLHQ back then) no auditing tool supported multiple rom folders or the RL ini files because well, the format was defined by us.
And depending on 3rd party tools for something that can be done in the actual application just doesn't make sense.

caliero

RL Member
There are some auditing tools in the Hyperspin web, but of course they don't use rom mapping. I didn't mean that.

In my Playstation system I have a database from the Hyperspin web (I think it was actually made by you brolly, thanks for that! ) and I have the PSX redump set. The names don't match, I don't want to rename the database because then the media won't match and I don't want to rename the redump set because then I won't be able to seed the torrent anymore. So I use rom mapping to fix the problem. I think that this is a very very common scenario, that is why I think that rom mapping auditing would be useful for many users.

I totally understand that right now there are more important things to do. I just hope it gets implemented one day!

djvj

Administrator
Staff member
Developer
That's a big reason rom mapping feature was made. For many it's not feasible to have 2 torrent sets of the same games, one to seed and one to play.

The audit feature was only meant as a simple unintelligent file check though. There are plenty of intelligent tools out there, clrmame being the best.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk