This is convoluted... Steam + DS4 + Launchbox + Rocketlauncher... problem.

Sn4tcH

RL Member
First off, I've been using Launchbox and DS4Windows with my emulators for some time now, always worked fine, for what I needed at the time.

I recently myself a Steam Link. Problem is, Steam Link didn't recognize my DS4 controller while using bluetooth via Steam Link, so I stopped worrying about it and ignored trying to stream emulators through Steam Link for the time being.

Then, a couple months ago, Steam released an updated that gave the DS4 all of its capabilities in Steam. What this also did was make it so you couldn't really use DS4Windows while Steam is on, or else the PC thinks there's two controllers plugged in etc.

Well, either way, great! Now that Steam has native support for DS4, I can finally stream my emulators through Steam Link, right?

For some reason, I can launch Big Box in Steam, my controls work fine in it. When I launch a game however, it does not work. Did some testing, and apparently it has something to do with Rocketlauncher.

When I launch Big Box via Steam, then launch a game from Big Box through Retroarch, the controls work fine. However if I launch it through Rocketlauncher (which I use to handle all my bezels, fades, etc.) I think perhaps Steam loses focus, and no longer recognizes that there's an input plugged in at all? When I then close the emulator, and return to Big Box, inputs work again.

I'm not sure if there's anyway to fix this, or if there's a simple solution outside of Rocketlauncher that I'm missing.

Edit: I forgot to mention this, as it's pretty important. As long as Steam is on (and I leave Steam literally at all times my PC is on) It takes control of your DS4.

Edit 2: Something I noticed, when I launch Big Box in Steam, the Steam Overlay (which shows you what friends are playing and such) appears in the corner on Big Box. However, once I launch a game it appears on the Bezel used on Rocketlauncher. To me this only furthers my belief that Steam is focusing on Rocketlauncher and not the emulators.

Last edited:

frostmute

If you click "Hide DS4" in DS4Windows (to get rid of the double controller problem), and also uncheck "DS4 Configuration Support" within SBP (to make Steam not use its internal driver), DS4Windows will function properly and steam will just accept whatever you have it setup as.