Thread: general Update of RLauncher and Moduls?

1. Collapse Details
    general Update of RLauncher and Moduls? 
    MainSecondary
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support our site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site
    Hi together,

I really tried the search function but cannot find anything related to something I want to know.

is there something bigger in the making or why do we not have any updates since Q1 this year? I mean I read a lot about please modify your modul here and there then it would work with the newer version of emulator xyzzy (like Dolphin). but why is there no real official update out now?

just being curios and I know that RLauncher is a hobby project of them all, but I am still curios.

regards,
    Chris

2. Collapse Details
    Re: general Update of RLauncher and Moduls? 
    Super Moderator
    MainSecondary
    brolly has mentioned once or twice before that there's some things that need to buttoned up before updates can be pushed again. He mentioned it in threads where people randomly asked about it which is probably why you couldn't find anything by searching, I have also talked to brolly about it. So no worries, this isn't another HyperSpin situation where dev seemingly or actually dies even though me saying "don't worry, dev is progressing" is the same thing they say

3. Collapse Details
    RocketLauncher Developer

MainSecondary
    Yes, I'm sorry for the lack of updates, but I'm working on a complete new feature that means putting updates on hold until it's done. Please have a bit more patient and we will get there.

Don't worry, dev is progressing

4. Collapse Details
    MainSecondary
    I'm curious why you guys don't have a Patreon page? That way you can retire from your real jobs and focus on this full time lol.

5. Collapse Details
    RocketLauncher Developer

MainSecondary
    lol if I could make as much money doing this as in my actual job I'd quit tomorrow morning

6. Collapse Details
    MainSecondary
    Good to hear. BTW just wanted to say thanks for creating this awesome program. it has consumed countless hrs of my life . I mean that it the best possible way.

7. Collapse Details
    MainSecondary
    I wonder what the new feature is?? RL pretty much has everything already

8. Collapse Details
    RocketLauncher Developer

MainSecondary
    It's not directly related with the actual RL, but details will be posted as soon as I feel it's ready.

9. Collapse Details
    MainSecondary
    Quote Originally Posted by brolly View Post
    It's not directly related with the actual RL, but details will be posted as soon as I feel it's ready.
    You big tease....

10. Collapse Details
    MainSecondary
    Quote Originally Posted by brolly View Post
    Sound like a new RL

11. Collapse Details
    MainSecondary
    I'd happily donate to a patreon page. You guys should seriously consider setting something up.
    Thanks for all the hard work..It's a great programme..

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

12. Collapse Details
    MainSecondary
    Hi...

Firstly, sorry for resurrecting this thread from aaaaaaaaaaaaaages ago...

Secondly, I was just wondering how work is going on the new feature mentioned above..... Its been a year and still no update to RL or any official module updates..... Im sure there are updated modlues for most of the more popular emulators floating around the forums but sometimes it can take a while to track them down

I long for the day when i start up RLUI and it says "UPDATES AVAILABLE!!!!!"

13. Collapse Details
    Super Moderator
    MainSecondary
    Development on the new feature is on hold atm as brolly had some very important personal things to attend to so he's taking a much deserved and needed break.

Regarding the lack of updates, djvj recently moved so the server that houses RL hasn't been up and running.

I've mentioned on a few posts before that I'm working on updating all the modules to use the RL classes, incorporate new features/edits that I've previously posted, and wrote some new ones. Once I get them done I planned on creating a thread to post them all rather than having to search the forum. I did almost all of them a while back and just haven't revisited it to finish off the rest yet.

Other than Dolphin and Demul (both of which have been posted and should be easy to find via search) I can't really think of any offhand that you would absolutely need to update to have things working. I know there were some small additions I made to various modules per requests and probably some minor bug fixes (some of the MAME non-arcade systems had param changes a few versions ago). Barring major emu features or them changing window classes, command line syntax, ini file locations, etc. the modules don't really need updates.

14. Collapse Details
    MainSecondary
    Hi.... Me again

Just wondering if there was any progress update on the new feature? I have noticed that Launchbox is slowly starting to add some of RL's features. I don't want this AMAZING piece of software to become obsolete!!!!!!

I look forward to the day when we i open up RL and it tells me updates available or even updates to official modules. I cant imagine how hard it would be to start a brand new install form scratch and have to go through and manually find all the updated modules

Im not pushing or anything, just wondered if there was any news?

15. Collapse Details
    Super Moderator
    MainSecondary
    brolly is still on hiatus and we don't know when he will return so work on that new feature has been suspended.

Regarding RL being obsolete, that completely depends on what people use RL for. If they use LB and all they're interested in are fades and pause screens then yeah, RL may be unnecessary for them depending on how well LB implements them. But if LB implementations of those are lacking or they use it for the automation the modules provide, bezels (which I think I remember seeing Jason mention he doesn't plan on implementing), or other features then RL is still useful.

Not to mention that's only for LB whereas RL is compatible with all frontends.

Regarding new features, what exactly do you want or expect to be implemented? There's not really a whole lot of useful potential features I can think of.

I'm still posting module updates on the forum when someone posts about something breaking or some additional functionality. Exception being RetroArch since a bunch of the modules people post are broken or bad hacks so I fix/add things locally and won't post those until I have time to go through the entire module and ensure things are done correctly.

I've updated almost all official modules to use the RL classes, fixed and added some things to various modules and wrote some new ones. I've planned on posting those in one sticky thread once I finalize some stuff to make it easier for people to find them until RL starts pushing updates again. I've also played around with adding some new RL features, and completed a couple but need to finalize those as well. I have been focusing on some other projects recently so haven't had time to get back to that.

16. Collapse Details
    MainSecondary
    Thanks for the update agent47