Thread: I figured out a way to add multi-game support to Dolphin (Wii/GameCube), but it's beyond my ability to implement

1. Collapse Details
    I figured out a way to add multi-game support to Dolphin (Wii/GameCube), but it's beyond my ability to implement 

MainSecondary
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support our site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site
    So in the Dolphin menu/Options/Hotkeys, there is an option to set a hotkey to 'Change Disc.' When pressed in game, it brings up a dialog box, and the cursor is already in the text field.

All the module would need to do, is copy/paste an absolute path (with filename) to wherever Disc 2 is, send an 'enter' keystroke, then after doing do, move the mouse to the right, and click on the main window to hide the GUI. Simply pressing Alt+Tab also switches back to the main window (so no need to mess with the mouse really).

I tested this myself by writing out what the absolute path (with filename) would be after extraction, copying it, loading 'Pause' after loading "Baten Kaitos - Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean (USA) (Disc 1)", 'changing' to Disc 2 (currently only extracts the game to your cache path), then back in game, pressing the 'Change Disc' hotkey, and pressing Control+V in the empty text field (to paste the absolute path w/filename I copied earlier), and then enter.

The game then crashed (because I wasn't at a place in the game where it asks for a disc swap), so I know it worked. (also, because the next time I attemped to press the 'change disc' hotkey, the default folder had changed to the absolute path I had specified prior)

I'm just posting this information with the hopes that someone with a little more knowledge and talent can make this happen, because it seems like it would be easy to implement. Also I'm willing to drop $30 on it, if anyone has a patreon account or something. Message me if you're interested.
    Last edited by SupraKarma ; 11-16-2017 at 11:04 PM.

2. Collapse Details
    Re: I figured out a way to add multi-game support to Dolphin (Wii/GameCube), but it's beyond my ability to implement 
    MainSecondary
    Could you write it in autohotkeys?

3. Collapse Details
    Re: I figured out a way to add multi-game support to Dolphin (Wii/GameCube), but it's beyond my ability to implement 

MainSecondary
    I think it'll be a bit more complicated than that. I'm not a programmer, I'm just speculating that it'd be easy to implement, but it doesn't seem like there's much of a demand for it, so I doubt it will happen anytime soon.

4. Collapse Details
    MainSecondary
    I would like to give this a bump and see if @djvj or another can implement this.

Thanks!

5. Collapse Details

MainSecondary
    Offer to put up $30 of your own cash, maybe we can motivate an interested party if we make it worth their while.

Honestly the RocketLauncher devs are the real MVPs of this entire community. What they've contributed will never be matched, by anyone. I expect very little from them beyond what they've already generously given.

But if the price is right and one of them is so inclined, I'll gladly pay them for their time.

6. Collapse Details
    Super Moderator
    MainSecondary
    This is commented in the module code:

"MultiGame doesn't work with Dolphin currently because Dolphin hides itself from Winspector Spy and cannot send any commands to the emulator through scripts."

7. Collapse Details

MainSecondary
    Couldn't it work on a timed basis, though? All that really needs to happen is the right inputs at the right time, and it would work.

Edit: Or so I'd imagine, I really don't know.
    Last edited by SupraKarma ; 06-28-2018 at 05:48 PM.

8. Collapse Details
    MainSecondary
    What about for the new DolphinQt?

9. Collapse Details
    MainSecondary
    Quote Originally Posted by agent47 View Post

"MultiGame doesn't work with Dolphin currently because Dolphin hides itself from Winspector Spy and cannot send any commands to the emulator through scripts."
    Does this help you any?
    https://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Threa...1497#pid481497

10. Collapse Details

MainSecondary
    Quote Originally Posted by mccorkled View Post
    That's what I've been saying all along, that's exactly what this post was originally about. You map a key to 'change disc,' and the cursor is literally already right where it needs to be. Absolute paths work.

This should be doable, I just don't know enough about AHK to pull it off.

11. Collapse Details
    MainSecondary
    Quote Originally Posted by SupraKarma View Post
    That's what I've been saying all along, that's exactly what this post was originally about. You map a key to 'change disc,' and the cursor is literally already right where it needs to be. Absolute paths work.

This should be doable, I just don't know enough about AHK to pull it off.
    Bummer. I donít know about it either.

12. Collapse Details
    MainSecondary
    You may be able to implement something that works with EventGhost. The problem would be getting the correct text from the AHK script.

Perhaps the name could be written to a well-known file on disk by the Module, and then read by EventGhost when the window pops up.

13. Collapse Details
    MainSecondary
    Quote Originally Posted by dopdahl View Post
    You may be able to implement something that works with EventGhost. The problem would be getting the correct text from the AHK script.

Perhaps the name could be written to a well-known file on disk by the Module, and then read by EventGhost when the window pops up.
    It would really be a pity to have to install another program just to swap discs. Iíd almost rather use the mouse.

14. Collapse Details
    MainSecondary

While this *may* be true, it doesn't make a lot of sense to me unless the emulator is hooking Winspector and Spy++...

I'm curious now... If I have some time... I'll poke around a little bit.

15. Collapse Details
    MainSecondary
    While this *may* be true, it doesn't make a lot of sense to me unless the emulator is hooking Winspector and Spy++...

I'm curious now... If I have some time... I'll poke around a little bit.
    Sounds great! I started a thread about it on the Dolphin forum. Maybe the admin post there will help give you some clues.

16. Collapse Details
    MainSecondary
    Couldn't find the thread... only a save game load game thread

17. Collapse Details
    MainSecondary
    Couldn't find the thread... only a save game load game thread
    https://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Threa...1497#pid481497

18. Collapse Details
    MainSecondary
    Ok, I've really just started looking at RL code. What about the existing Multi-Game option doesn't work in this case? Is i

Given that modules rely on a bunch of othe core code that isn't publicly available,I don't think that there's much that can be done here.

There's no way I can see for the module to intercept the button press and execute script code that I can find. RL must have hooks into the keypress handlers but there doesn't appear to be a way for an average guy like me to define what executes in the module script when any specific key sequence is presses... That's all handled in the closed source

But why can't one just use the Multigame feature? Assuming that commands can actually be sent to the emulator window (which is still a question I guess),
    Then it could all be handled by configuring Multigame, invokeing it with the same sequence the the define enumlator change disc Hotkey, and sending the commands from the multigame callback in the module script. Seems like all the hooks are in place, one just needs to figure out if the commands can be sent to the emu popup at this point.

19. Collapse Details
    MainSecondary
    Did anyone ever get this worked out?