Thread: TypeXtra - Taito Type X and Nesica launcher

1. Collapse Details
    TypeXtra - Taito Type X and Nesica launcher 
    MainSecondary
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support our site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site
    I've been away from the scene for a while (babies are time thieves!) but am starting to get back into it. No doubt I need to update various aspects of my setup so I've been reading around the subject and noticed that there is a now a launcher that simplifies the TTX/Nesica setup called "TypeXtra".

When I started looking at TTX a couple of years ago it seemed particularly complicated to get them working in RLauncher and if TypeXtra simplifies this it might be better.

Has anybody here got TypeXtra working through RLauncher?

https://sites.google.com/view/magoar...tware/typextra

I can't see anything when I search so thought it would be asking the question.

2. Collapse Details
    Re: TypeXtra - Taito Type X and Nesica launcher 
    MainSecondary
    Hey bobmoo79, Haven't had a chance to try this yet. Was curious if you've had any luck setting up this emulator with RocketLauncher? Would be helpful to hear any details on this. Thanks, Marty

3. Collapse Details
    MainSecondary
    Heyup chaps,

I'm the author of TypeXtra. If RL can construct command lines from shortcuts, then it'll be able to interface with TypeXtra. Same process as commonly used to launch PC games (create shortcuts of your PC exes, gather them in a folder + use the shortcut as the 'rom'- except TypeXtra does all the shortcut creation ops for you).

4. Collapse Details
    RocketLauncher Developer

MainSecondary
    Is there any info about the supported command line parameters? RL doesn't need the shortcuts and it's actually a better practice to avoid using those and just call the loader directly with the proper CLI arguments.
    That being said unless there is something very specific on the loader, using PCLauncher should work just fine. Having a specific module would essentially be duplicating a lot of the PCLauncher module since each game will have its own unique window title and class name, unless your loader wraps them in a window using dxwnd or some similar tool like for instance All RH Game Loader does.

5. Collapse Details
    MainSecondary
    Hey guys, no I haven't managed to get this going but didn't spend much time on it to be honest.

I'm very interested though, so if somebody figures out please let us know here :-)

6. Collapse Details
    MainSecondary
    @brolly

There's links to the documentation in the app. The docs are at:

http://retrorigs.biz/MagoDokuWiki/doku.php?id=software:typextra:start

What TypeXtra does is to install all the necessary support files needed to run each game. As you'll know, the sets out there in the wild are wide and varied + lots of people were having probs getting them up and running. This was designed to make the process easy.

I don't know how RL works specifically, but TypeXTra was designed to leverage most front end capability to get ROM names from files in a specific directory. The way TypeXtra works is to create a series of shortcuts to the game's 'launchfile' (e.g. a .bat or .exe) and then the Front end can get the shortcut name, send this 'back to' TypeXtra to launch the game.

@bobmoo79 - it shouldn't be too difficult - there's a setup guide here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7rRWh9ttDc

Also, there's the documentation and other help links in the app.

7. Collapse Details
    RocketLauncher Developer

MainSecondary
    Ok, so invoking this is all it's needed right?
    TypeXtra.exe -gs "SHORT_NAME" -hc

There is no need to point to shortcuts if your loader already has built-in command line support.
    If this is all it takes, then the PCLauncher module can already take care of this there's no need for a separate module.

Is there any way to have TypeXtra to not open to UI and automatically close itself after loading a game? When you are launching through another frontend this would make sense as you don't need your loader to be visible. Maybe a new CLI switch for this?