Thread: Redream "Sega Dreamcast Emulator"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 49
  1. Collapse Details
    Redream "Sega Dreamcast Emulator" 
    #1
    Senior Member
    MainSecondary
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    1,543
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support our site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site
    I just discovered this emulator the other day as a stand-alone emu not thru Retroarch since I guess it went closed source back in January of this year so I started on a module for it tonight to get it working within RocketLauncher which was pretty easy to do.

    I just need to work on the isd file for it this weekend and see about implementing bezels as well but for now I do have it up and playing games.
     

  2. Collapse Details
    Re: Redream "Sega Dreamcast Emulator" 
    #2
    Member
    dragon57's Avatar
    MainSecondary
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    71
    Yippee! I'm looking forward to the release. Thanks so much for working on it.
     

  3. Collapse Details
    Re: Redream "Sega Dreamcast Emulator" 
    #3
    Senior Member
    MainSecondary
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    1,543
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon57 View Post
    Yippee! I'm looking forward to the release. Thanks so much for working on it.
    Well I must say Redream is the easiest Dreamcast emu to get up and going .

    The version I am working with is the lite version but so far I am liking what I see.

    Funny I been searching and found no mention of this emu which surprised me being how easy and well it works. There us a paid version $5 for HD graphics.

    As far as the module goes just rushed thru it last night to see if I can get it to work on my setup and was amazed how easy it was.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
     

  4. Collapse Details
    Re: Redream "Sega Dreamcast Emulator" 
    #4
    Member
    MainSecondary
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    42
    What are the advantages of this one over Demul? I always thought Demul had better compatibility and both offer up-scaling.
     

  5. Collapse Details
    Re: Redream "Sega Dreamcast Emulator" 
    #5
    Super Moderator
    agent47's Avatar
    MainSecondary
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    903
    Quote Originally Posted by Krakerman View Post
    As far as the module goes just rushed thru it last night to see if I can get it to work on my setup and was amazed how easy it was.
    Modules for most single system emulators are a lot easier than people think to get running, grab the window info and barebones launch CLI and you're off. It's when emulators don't support CLI or even hotkeys requiring a bunch of menu manipulation, it emulates multiple systems that all need to be handled differently, different file types need different settings, etc when things get a little more complicated.

    Redream was on my list of modules to do until it went closed source and locked features behind a paywall. Demul is still better AFAIK and I didn't want to post a module without the premium features for completion sake.
     

  6. Collapse Details
    Redream "Sega Dreamcast Emulator" 
    #6
    Senior Member
    MainSecondary
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    1,543
    Quote Originally Posted by agent47 View Post
    Modules for most single system emulators are a lot easier than people think to get running, grab the window info and barebones launch CLI and you're off. It's when emulators don't support CLI or even hotkeys requiring a bunch of menu manipulation, it emulates multiple systems that all need to be handled differently, different file types need different settings, etc when things get a little more complicated.

    Redream was on my list of modules to do until it went closed source and locked features behind a paywall. Demul is still better AFAIK and I didn't want to post a module without the premium features for completion sake.
    Well My module currently supports the lite version but will be looking into the pro version this weekend see what additional features I will add to the module. My goal is to support both versions within the module itself.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
     

  7. Collapse Details
    Re: Redream "Sega Dreamcast Emulator" 
    #7
    Super Moderator
    agent47's Avatar
    MainSecondary
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    903
    That's the way it should be done, no reason to have separate modules for lite and premium so you're on the right track. I think the only premium feature is upscaling so all you should have to do in theory assuming it uses a license file of some sort is mention in the isd key description that it's a premium only feature and in the module check for a license before writing the value if it's anything other than off/standard res (and throw a descriptive RL error if a license isn't found).
     

  8. Collapse Details
    Redream "Sega Dreamcast Emulator" 
    #8
    Senior Member
    MainSecondary
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    1,543
    Quote Originally Posted by agent47 View Post
    That's the way it should be done, no reason to have separate modules for lite and premium so you're on the right track. I think the only premium feature is upscaling so all you should have to do in theory assuming it uses a license file of some sort is mention in the isd key description that it's a premium only feature and in the module check for a license before writing the value if it's anything other than off/standard res (and throw a descriptive RL error if a license isn't found).
    I would not create separate modules for both but I have an idea how I want my module to look and work. Sometimes there certain things nit sure how to do then I will ask you guys how to do it. Always learning....


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Krakerman ; 05-11-2018 at 02:23 PM.
     

  9. Collapse Details
    Re: Redream "Sega Dreamcast Emulator" 
    #9
    Super Moderator
    agent47's Avatar
    MainSecondary
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    903
    Yup, learning by doing is the best way to learn coding IMO. Those of us who know AHK and how the modules work are always here to help if you get stuck.
     

  10. Collapse Details
    Redream "Sega Dreamcast Emulator" 
    #10
    Senior Member
    MainSecondary
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    1,543
    Quote Originally Posted by agent47 View Post
    Yup, learning by doing is the best way to learn coding IMO. Those of us who know AHK and how the modules work are always here to help if you get stuck.
    Very true ... I still waiting on the developers to add the cart hotkey support to c64 Forever so I can release my updated module for that. Those guys are very slow with updates and when they do put one out not so sure what they updated.

    I got a lot of code and features into the new version of that module. Why they havenít already done that baffles me seems like a no brainer really should of been added from the start but that my opinion. I already sent message to them about adding it in and they agree but when who knows.

    I will start on this module tonight.

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Krakerman ; 05-11-2018 at 03:57 PM.
     

  11. Collapse Details
    Re: Redream "Sega Dreamcast Emulator" 
    #11
    Senior Member
    MainSecondary
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    1,543
    This morning I got bezel support added and working!
     

  12. Collapse Details
    Re: Redream "Sega Dreamcast Emulator" 
    #12
    Senior Member
    MainSecondary
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    1,543
    Just upgraded to the Pro license so I will be testing those features out very soon.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
     

  13. Collapse Details
    Re: Redream "Sega Dreamcast Emulator" 
    #13
    Senior Member
    MainSecondary
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    1,543
    Update:

    Tonight I coded my Redream module to get bezels to work on a per game basis. So if you want to run one game fullscreen and another with a bezel you'll be able to do that within the module.
     

  14. Collapse Details
    Re: Redream "Sega Dreamcast Emulator" 
    #14
    Super Moderator
    agent47's Avatar
    MainSecondary
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    903
    Enabling/Disabling bezels on a per game basis is already an option in RLUI so there's no reason to have that in the module.
     

  15. Collapse Details
    Re: Redream "Sega Dreamcast Emulator" 
    #15
    Senior Member
    MainSecondary
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    1,543
    Quote Originally Posted by agent47 View Post
    Enabling/Disabling bezels on a per game basis is already an option in RLUI so there's no reason to have that in the module.
    Yeah I forgot bout that hahaha

    Removed the code. Not that I spent much time on that just been screwing around with the code trying things out and learning really.
    Last edited by Krakerman ; 05-19-2018 at 02:29 AM.
     

  16. Collapse Details
    Re: Redream "Sega Dreamcast Emulator" 
    #16
    Junior Member
    MainSecondary
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Krakerman View Post
    Yeah I forgot bout that hahaha

    Removed the code. Not that I spent much time on that just been screwing around with the code trying things out and learning really.
    already available?
     

  17. Collapse Details
    Re: Redream "Sega Dreamcast Emulator" 
    #17
    Senior Member
    MainSecondary
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    1,543
    Not yet. Iíve not had too much time lately to add in all the features but in itís current state it will play Dreamcast games fullscreen or with bezels.

    I did test it with the latest Redream release 1.2.2 and works just fine.

    So hopefully soon I will finish coding in all the features and get it packaged up for release.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
     

  18. Collapse Details
    Re: Redream "Sega Dreamcast Emulator" 
    #18
    Super Moderator
    agent47's Avatar
    MainSecondary
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    903
    I'm not trying to push this at all, just throwing it out there as an option, but I wrote a module for it when I got bored a few weeks ago so if you would rather work on your other projects I can polish mine up (module notes, etc).

    I know you were enjoying learning while doing it and I didn't want it to seem like I was trying to steal your thunder (which is why I didn't mention that I wrote one) so if you want to finish it, by all means take your time and do so as there isn't a huge demand for it atm.
     

  19. Collapse Details
    Re: Redream "Sega Dreamcast Emulator" 
    #19
    Senior Member
    MainSecondary
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    150
    Does ReDream support the display of the VMU? For me that's the best thing about DEmul. It looks awesome, especiially when you have the bezels set up.
     

  20. Collapse Details
    Re: Redream "Sega Dreamcast Emulator" 
    #20
    Senior Member
    MainSecondary
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    1,543
    Quote Originally Posted by agent47 View Post
    I'm not trying to push this at all, just throwing it out there as an option, but I wrote a module for it when I got bored a few weeks ago so if you would rather work on your other projects I can polish mine up (module notes, etc).

    I know you were enjoying learning while doing it and I didn't want it to seem like I was trying to steal your thunder (which is why I didn't mention that I wrote one) so if you want to finish it, by all means take your time and do so as there isn't a huge demand for it atm.
    By all means .... go for it.

    I have been way to busy with a million other projects. Mine is working just fine but I just would like to add in some of the feature options that Redream has but will take more time and at my pace might take awhile so by all means feel free to release yours.
     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •