Thread: How to add more than one emulator to Arcade platform? Using with Launchbox

1. Collapse Details
    How to add more than one emulator to Arcade platform? Using with Launchbox 
    MainSecondary
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support our site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site
    For all my other platforms, I can click the magnifier on the roms tab for default emulator and it shows several emulators. But on my Arcade platform, the popup only shows "MAME(global)". Why doesn't it find RetroArch? How can I add it? And how can I switch back and forth quickly between emulators. Is there a "launch with..." or is that a function of the front end that calls RL?

2. Collapse Details
    Re: How to add more than one emulator to Arcade platform? Using with Launchbox 
    Super Moderator
    MainSecondary
    Multi-system emulators have system name checks in order to perform the necessary operations for different systems. Chances are "Arcade" isn't listed as a system in the RA module. You would have to edit the module (back it up first) and add "Arcade" to the MSystem line then in the MTypeVar section duplicate the "Arcade Classics|LibRetro_ARCADE|mame_libretro" line and change that to "Arcade|LibRetro_ARCADE|mame_libretro" and that should work.

In regards to quick switching, you would have to switch it in RLUI. There is a launch with option in LB but when using RL you just send it the system and rom name and it uses the emulator you have assigned in RL.

Edit: It looks like you can apparently force an emulator via CLI using the -e -d and a different -r parameter as seen here. So you would have to setup an alternate emu in LB using that command line and then use the launch with in LB, in theory.
    Last edited by agent47 ; 07-10-2018 at 12:19 PM.

3. Collapse Details
    MainSecondary
    Ah. In LaunchBox, there is no "Arcade Classics" platform, just Arcade. Were things hard-coded for the term "Arcade Classics"? If I had created that, I might have seen more options for default emulators? Seems like Arcade is a pretty standard platform, no? I would have thought Mame, RA and FBA would be in there at a minimum. In any case, I left Mame as the default and under the emulators section for the Arcade platform, I clicked the plus sign to add a new emulator and put RA in there. Great information about at least 2 ways to select my emulator at launch time. In order to see RA as an option, I had to go into the global platform and rlui settings and uncheck show only "valid emulators".

4. Collapse Details
    Super Moderator
    MainSecondary
    System names are hard-coded in the module on the MSystem line and multi-system emulators also have hard-coded name checks like I mentioned above. If you had created Arcade Classics or MAME as your platform in LB it would've passed the MSystem check which populates the Default Emulators selection.

In regards to Arcade being a standard platform, prior to LB using Arcade as the standard platform name most other frontends (namely HyperSpin) primarily used "MAME" as the name for arcade games along with Arcade Classics and the various manufacturer Classics names.

Unchecking the valid emulators only option just allows you to assign the emulator to that system. You will not be able to launch games through RA under the Arcade system because it will not pass the system name check since you didn't edit the module. Unchecking that option only works for single system emulators because they don't have system specific operations (and thus no name check) and MAME because the MAME module defaults to using the regular arcade type launching if the name isn't recognized.

You will need to either edit the module, rename your platform in LB, or have LB send a compatible system name (like MAME) via command line rather than your actual platform name Arcade. I believe the last option will cause issues with RL pulling media since it will search using MAME and your stuff will be under Arcade.

5. Collapse Details
    MainSecondary
    Great information. I could get frustrated, or choose to be excited to keep learning things. I'll choose the latter. I did edit the RetroArch.AHK file and of course can see it now as a valid emulator, but in doing so, changed the CRC, which apparently RL checks for! So when I look in the Arcade, emulator section, there is a red exclamation point. So I renamed everything so that the original RetroArch.ahk is there, but I then copied RetroArch.ahk, .isd and ini and renamed them Retroarch - Arcade.ahk, isd, ini and deleted the MCRC, iCRC and MID lines from the .ahk file. I got help here: http://www.rlauncher.com/wiki/index....le=Development. Appears to be working as I wanted.