Thread: RetroArch "ConfigFolder" option in rocketlauncher doesn't work

1. Collapse Details
    RetroArch "ConfigFolder" option in rocketlauncher doesn't work 
    MainSecondary
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support our site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site
    I'm trying to set a different config folder for a couple of systems but it won't work.

It will still save in the defauld RetroArch\config folder. But the funny thing is that if i delete the custom folder i made, the system won't load because... it looks for that custom folder, even though it ignores it and doesn't save anything in it.

Is there something i missed?

2. Collapse Details
    Re: RetroArch "ConfigFolder" option in rocketlauncher doesn't work 
    MainSecondary
    post your rocketlaunchers' emulator.ini file for the system(s) your your trying to run. Any one is fine as the "couple" you tried should all point to the retroarch emu
    and
    post the retroarch.ahk module

(i dont have this available to me on this computer so id be working blind)

Going to try and see if we can or cant make the config folder location that rocketlauncher wants and what your version of retroarch wants to be the same location by editing it.
    sometimes new versions of retroarch change things and if thats true, the retroarch rocketlauncher module may not have been updated to match it.

Going to look for some lines similar to "iniread (emupath) yoursystem.cfg" or "iniwrite (emupath) yoursystem.cfg"
    those "similar" lines above are missing much code or contain incorrect syntax so i need to see them to sort through it.

3. Collapse Details
    Super Moderator
    MainSecondary
    The emulator.ini isn't worth posting. What should be posted is a troubleshooting log (which will include all settings and the module).

4. Collapse Details
    MainSecondary
    Here's my Rocketlauncher log (i'm trying to separate the config folder for Tiger Gamecom system using the MAME core):

https://pastebin.com/3TnGw9VN

And here's the RetroArch module i'm using:

https://pastebin.com/zuw1uCCD

Another thing i noticed is that it doesn't matter what system you are working on. I'm in the "global module settings" but i'm working "in the context of Tiger gamecom". But despite that, the setting is applied to all systems that use RetroArch.

Rom Settings also do this. Even though it says "be aware that any options you set under the rom setting tab will only apply to that specific system" But that doesn't work either. Because if i go to the rom settings and change the core i want to run for a specific game, it applies to all systems. For instance, i wanted to run SNES DOOM with a certain core and then, the PSX DOOM would try and run with that too. So no matter the context of the system, the module settings will apply to ALL systems. The only way to have separate options per system is to make different copies of the module like "RetroArch SNES", "RetrArch Saturn, etc, in different folders and have each system use it's own RetroArch module.
    Last edited by Imgema ; 10-03-2019 at 04:07 AM.

5. Collapse Details
    MainSecondary
    i just posted a long post but moderators have to approve it first.
    im new in these forums but im chillinwater in the hyperspin forums.

6. Collapse Details
    MainSecondary
    these lines in you log look funny to me. RetroArch and configs everywhere?
    Probably doesnt mean anything but its usually better to keep files associated with an emulator local to that emulators folder to make troubleshooting easier

48. 09:52:02:422 | RL | INFO | +0 | CheckFile - Checking if G:\RetroArch\retroarch.exe exists
    1395. 09:52:03:487 | MD | INFO | +0 | Module - Global cfg should be: G:\RetroArch\retroarch.cfg
    1396. 09:52:03:487 | MD | INFO | +0 | Module - System cfg should be: G:\Hyperspin\_CFG\Tiger Game.com.cfg
    1397. 09:52:03:487 | MD | INFO | +0 | Module - Core cfg should be: G:\Hyperspin\_CFG\mame_libretro.cfg
    Last edited by hotwater ; 10-03-2019 at 10:44 PM.

7. Collapse Details
    Super Moderator
    MainSecondary
    @hotwater, I'm not sure why your posts are getting auto moderated. That being said, hard coding the path isn't a good solution.

@Imgema, did you manually type in the path in the module settings instead of using the file chooser? That path is relative to your RL directory so if your _CFG directory is in your RetroArch root and you manually typed in the relative path that would be your issue.
    Last edited by agent47 ; 10-03-2019 at 11:15 PM.

8. Collapse Details
    MainSecondary
    Quote Originally Posted by agent47 View Post
    @Imgema, did you manually type in the path in the module settings instead of using the file chooser? That path is relative to your RL directory so if your _CFG directory is in your RetroArch root and you manually typed in the relative path that would be your issue.
    No, i just made a _CFG folder in the root of RetroArch and then used the file chooser to choose that.

I also tried this option without choosing anything, leaving it blank.

It won't work.

9. Collapse Details
    Super Moderator
    MainSecondary
    Quote Originally Posted by Imgema View Post
    No, i just made a _CFG folder in the root of RetroArch and then used the file chooser to choose that.

I also tried this option without choosing anything, leaving it blank.

It won't work.
    The module is using the correct path based on what's entered in the module settings but that's not the correct path for your folder. If you go into your Modules/RetroArch directory, open the RetroArch.ini and manually edit the path from ..\_CFG to ..\..\RetroArch\_CFG that will point to the correct location of your folder if I read your locations correctly.

10. Collapse Details
    MainSecondary
    Quote Originally Posted by agent47 View Post
    The module is using the correct path based on what's entered in the module settings but that's not the correct path for your folder. If you go into your Modules/RetroArch directory, open the RetroArch.ini and manually edit the path from ..\_CFG to ..\..\RetroArch\_CFG that will point to the correct location of your folder if I read your locations correctly.
    That's what i did. I can see the path in the INI file being correct. But it won't use that folder. It looks for the custom folder i made because without it, i get an error. But even with the folder in place, it will load but will still continue using the default config folder in practice, ignoring the custom folder entirely.

I'm using the MAME core if it matters.
    Last edited by Imgema ; 10-17-2019 at 06:16 AM.

11. Collapse Details
    MainSecondary
    Use Retroarch 1.7.7

12. Collapse Details
    MainSecondary
    Why do you need the config folder? With the latest releases of Retroarch, Retroarch saves per core configs and per game configs and it remembers them. The config folder as it was used by Rpcketlauncher is now obsolete. At least I can't find a use for it anymore. Just remember that you also need to save per core overrides for your shaders.

13. Collapse Details
    MainSecondary
    Quote Originally Posted by Styphelus View Post
    Why do you need the config folder? With the latest releases of Retroarch, Retroarch saves per core configs and per game configs and it remembers them. The config folder as it was used by Rpcketlauncher is now obsolete. At least I can't find a use for it anymore. Just remember that you also need to save per core overrides for your shaders.
    What's this now? Where does it save the configs? I have all my saves, states, remaps, and everything setup using the config folder.