0 Systems Found

moore

RL Member
My apologies if this is a simple question. I'm not new to emulation but this is my first attempt at using RL. I don't care to use HyperSpin as a frontend but all tutorials seem to be focused on it which makes it more difficult to learn the ropes. I decided to give RetroFE a shot since a plugin exists for it. Unfortunately, even though I think RL is configured appropriately and I have successfully added my NES collection to RetroFE, RL still claims no systems are found. Am I doing something wrong? Is RL dependent upon HS databases?

moore

RL Member
I did (pretty sure anyway). RetroFE is both the default and active frontend. Path is correct. Both plugins for RetroFE are selected. Running the latest version of both RL and RetroFE.

djvj

Administrator
Staff member
Developer
Does rlui read the retrofe system list? I wasn't sure if it did yet or we were using rlui dbs for it.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

brolly

Administrator
Developer
Yep it does, or at least it did in the earlier versions not sure if emb changed the database format meanwhile. If he did then it won't work anymore of course.

@moore, are you marking that frontend as being the default and active one?

brolly

Administrator
Developer
Then something must have changed on the frontend for the plugin not to recognize its database. I'll try to set it up and give it a try when I have the chance, for now I guess you'll have to use the RLUI XML format.

brolly

Administrator
Developer
Sure it does, or at least it did. It even uses SQLite for them. If this has changed meanwhile then the plugin definitely won't work at all.

jeremy0203

Supporter
RL Member
I have no databases. It reads the roms straight from the defined folder. You can fill in the include/exclude text file to make it show or not show certain files.

brolly

Administrator
Developer
Just gave it a quick look and there's still a database, it's the meta.db file, the name changed from the earlier versions where this was called cache.db also seems it works in a completely different way now as the database gets filled with thousands of entries automatically (all No-Intro roms I think) and not based on what you have on your roms folders so not exactly sure about how this is supposed to work.

I guess I should use those databases entries for auditing since they seem to be the official ones for RetroFE. Not sure how exactly you are supposed to add new entries and specify genres, etc. as your new roms don't seem to be automatically added to the database anymore like in the previous version, they show up on the frontend and that's it. Don't really have the time to figure this out either.

There had to be a database anyway because the meta info such as genres, years, etc. needs to come from somewhere.

kmoney2315

RL Member
Did anyone ever figure out how to get the systems to show up in Rocketlauncher? I would like to try retrofe out with rocketlauncher but no systems will show up in the newest version of retofe.

ThePagel

RL Member
I don't have retrofe set up in rocketlauncher at all it just works as rlui set as active and default. All you need to do in retro fe is make sure in system specific settings launcher looks like "launcher = rocketlauncher" without the quotes. They ship all the needed parameters in a text file ready to work out of box.

kmoney2315

RL Member
For those of you having the problem of your systems not showing up in RL UI, here is what you need to do. In the newest full installation of retrofe you need to find the retrofe core folder and copy the retrofe exe. to the main root folder of retrofe and then point RL at that retrofe.exe in the main root folder. Before I was pointing RL to the exe in the core folder and it was not picking up the systems until I made a copy of the exe and moved it over to the main root retrofe folder.

Very important: Do not delete the exe in the core folder just make a copy of it. Hopes this helps as I was pulling my hair out trying to figure out.

tonesmalone

RL Member
For those of you having the problem of your systems not showing up in RL UI, here is what you need to do. In the newest full installation of retrofe you need to find the retrofe core folder and copy the retrofe exe. to the main root folder of retrofe and then point RL at that retrofe.exe in the main root folder. Before I was pointing RL to the exe in the core folder and it was not picking up the systems until I made a copy of the exe and moved it over to the main root retrofe folder.

Very important: Do not delete the exe in the core folder just make a copy of it. Hopes this helps as I was pulling my hair out trying to figure out.

This shouldn't be needed surely?! Maybe the RL plugin for retrofe needs an update?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brolly

Administrator
Developer
Well if nobody tell us what changes we can't make guesses about what needs to be updated, I don't use retrofe so I expect users to report any changes on the frontend that might break things.
I updated the plugin a couple months back because it was broken, seems retrofe devs might have made some more breaking changes lately then.

kmoney2315

RL Member
I don't think these are any new changes as I don't think retrofe has been updated since August. I think its a really great frontend but I didn't really want to use it unless RL was working properly with it so I started digging deep and asking some guys over at the retrofe forums why my systems were not showing up in the RL UI. Since I found this solution its running perfect for me except on the RL fade screen its not showing the genre, year and rating down at the bottom of the RL fade screen even though the xml has this info.

brolly

Administrator
Developer
Ok, I just checked and you should be selecting the RetroFE shortcut on the root folder not the executable inside the core folder. Not sure if this shortcut exists or not, if it doesn't you can create one.

kmoney2315

RL Member
In my retrofe folder the shortcut that is in the root that comes with the full installation of retrofe defaults to C:Windows/system32/cmd.exe in RLUI. I have shown in pics below what in looks like in RLUI when I select the shortcut that is in the root folder of retrofe. So I have to make a copy of the retrofe.exe in the core folder and paste it in the retrofe root folder for RLUI to show the systems and work properly as you can see the retofeexe. in the other pic. The strange thing is when I use retrofe I click on that shortcut file in the retrofe root to start the frontend.
rocketlauncher.jpgretrofe file.jpg

Last edited: