Another Idle Volume Adjuster

Metalzoic

RL Member
I lost track of the versions.
Is there any reason for me to change from 1.4.0rc6 to whatever the newest version is or are they the same?

Dime333

RL Member
I'll just try it like this and see how it goes. It could be months before I have the issue again. How exactly are you delaying HS?

Metalzoic

RL Member
I'll just try it like this and see how it goes. It could be months before I have the issue again. How exactly are you delaying HS?

Several beta test versions ago I was having massive focus issues, so he built the option to launch & delay the launch of other programs directly from Volume Adjuster.
The very bottom setting in the settings.ini is ProgramLaunch you put the exe you want to launch after volume adjuster has already set your startup volume (my startup volume is 8%. on my cab a volume of 20% could blow the speakers).

If you want to delay the launch of the programs just add how many seconds to it. Here's mine:
Code:
[ProgramLaunch]
HyperSpin.exe=H:\HyperSpin=60

This way my volume is already set to a safe level before anything launches and HS launches with zero focus issues even though I launch and update Steam first. Like you I turn my cab on in the morning and it runs all day, so the extra minute during boot is a non-issue in exchange for rock-solid behavior.

Metalzoic

RL Member
Turranius that reminds me.
You have the default volume "Step" set to 5. My cab is powered into car speakers and a volume of even 20% is dangerously loud. I damn near popped my speakers the first time I tried this program because that 5 step is waaay to big of a jump. I have to set mine to 1.

You may want to lower the default to 1 or at least 2 to prevent other people from having the same issue.

Dime333

RL Member
Several beta test versions ago I was having massive focus issues, so he built the option to launch & delay the launch of other programs directly from Volume Adjuster.
The very bottom setting in the settings.ini is ProgramLaunch you put the exe you want to launch after volume adjuster has already set your startup volume (my startup volume is 8%. on my cab a volume of 20% could blow the speakers).

If you want to delay the launch of the programs just add how many seconds to it. Here's mine:
Code:
[ProgramLaunch]
HyperSpin.exe=H:\HyperSpin=60

This way my volume is already set to a safe level before anything launches and HS launches with zero focus issues even though I launch and update Steam first. Like you I turn my cab on in the morning and it runs all day, so the extra minute during boot is a non-issue in exchange for rock-solid behavior.

Thanks. I'll try that if I ever have the issue again.

Turranius

Supporter
RL Member
OK. I recorded a very high quality video with my excellent phone. This time I set the volume of PJ64 to 5 just to make the sound difference stand out more. Hyperspin is at 55.

Gotcha. I see the problem but its not really a problem.
PPSSPPWindows64.exe=20
HyperSpin.exe=46

But your default volume is 55. So when PPSSPP closes, it takes a second or two before Hyperspin is in focus, so it goes

You hear the loud sound for a second or two while its at 55..

And regarding keeping Hyperspin in focus, no, that would be hell to make work =) You do have the ForceFocusSetup (see readme) but thats as far as i can make it...

- - - Updated - - -

I lost track of the versions.
Is there any reason for me to change from 1.4.0rc6 to whatever the newest version is or are they the same?

Pretty much the same. Some small cleanups but functionality wise they are the same.

- - - Updated - - -

Turranius that reminds me.
You have the default volume "Step" set to 5. My cab is powered into car speakers and a volume of even 20% is dangerously loud. I damn near popped my speakers the first time I tried this program because that 5 step is waaay to big of a jump. I have to set mine to 1.

You may want to lower the default to 1 or at least 2 to prevent other people from having the same issue.

If more then 20% volume blows your speakers, I'd say you have something wrong with your setup =) But yeah, I can change it to 1 by default.

Dime333

RL Member
Gotcha. I see the problem but its not really a problem.
PPSSPPWindows64.exe=20
HyperSpin.exe=46

But your default volume is 55. So when PPSSPP closes, it takes a second or two before Hyperspin is in focus, so it goes

You hear the loud sound for a second or two while its at 55.

What the hell??!!!?? I had no idea hyperspin was at 46. I must have set it to that by mistake. Thanks for clearing that up.

Dime333

RL Member
Well, I tried setting Hyperspin to 55 as well as removing Hyperspin from the volumesettings alltogether. It still happens. :(

Turranius

Supporter
RL Member
Hang on. I'll post a test version here in a minute.

The sound that comes out too loud, is that from PPSSPP? Sounds like the zelda sound if I'm hearing correctly.

Ok, I've added 1.4.1b1 to the FTP. Its a test. When its time to fade the volume back in, it will wait 3 seconds before actually doing it. I just want to see if the issue goes away.

If it still happens with this one, post the log =)

Last edited:

Dime333

RL Member
I was just using ppsspp the first time I reported the issue. I've been using zelda in PJ64 ever since. I'll try the new version and get back to you.

Dime333

RL Member
It worked great. Could you make it a setting how long it should wait before fading?. Or maby set it to 1 second. Or maby disable fade alltogether since that was not what was causing the issue.

On second thaught, keep fade. It could cause issues on systems that don't use fade out.

Last edited:

Turranius

Supporter
RL Member
It worked great. Could you make it a setting how long it should wait before fading?. Or maby set it to 1 second. Or maby disable fade alltogether since that was not what was causing the issue.

On second thaught, keep fade. It could cause issues on systems that don't use fade out.

Goodie. Added a proper 1.4.0b1 to the FTP then.

Code:
1.4.1	2016-04-27
	Chg:	Changed the look of the Basic Configuration GUI to look more like the Advanced Configuration in that you
		can hold over the text to get details.

Add:	Added "Idle Flash Move" and "Idle Flash All Screens" to the Basic Configuration GUI.

Chg:	Default value for ManualVolumeStep changed from 5 to 1.

Add:	Added ProgramSpecificVolumeRestoreDelay. This controls how many seconds to wait before restoring the
		volume back up from a Program Specific volume. You'll find it in the advanced options in the GUI.

Dime333

RL Member
Great. I'll test this tonight. One thing. Maby you can do something like MAME.exe=40,2.

This would mean that after exiting mame, it will wait 2 seconds before fading. That way you could make sure that systems without fade out don't fade back in after hyperspin has been in focus for a short while.

Metalzoic

RL Member
Doesn't MAME have it's own master volume control built in? Or am I misunderstanding what you two are talking about...

Turranius

Supporter
RL Member
No clue on that =)

I've put a 1.4.1b2 on the FTP as well.

Code:
	Add:	Added ProgramSpecificVolumeRestoreDelay. This controls how many seconds to wait before restoring the
		volume back up from a Program Specific volume. You'll find it in the advanced options in the GUI.

Add:	ProgramSpecificVolume can now take a 3rd argument. Number of seconds before restoring the volume when
		that program is no longer running / not in focus.
		Original example: firefox.exe=50
		New example: firefox.exe=50=5
		It will then wait 5 seconds to restore the volume back up (Only up. Down is always instant.) when firefox
		is closed.

With the bottom part added, I doubt ProgramSpecificVolumeRestoreDelay will still be needed. I'll keep it in during the beta.

Dime333

RL Member
Here's what I meant. I tested the beta with PJ64. The sound was at 35 or whatever I had set it to. When I exited the game in PJ64 and Hyperspin was back in focus after the fade out screen, the sound was still at 35 since it was waiting 3 seconds to fade up to 55 which I have Hyperspin set to. After about a second of watching the video preview of the game I just exited, the sound started to fade up. This should happen ON the fade screen and not in Hyperspin. That's why I wanted a specific setting for apps. I think a standard setting of 1 second should do the trick for all systems with fade out. However, for systems with no fade out. You would want to restore the volume faster since 1 second would trigger the scenario I explained earlier. I hope I'm making sense. I'll test the new version later tonight.

Last edited:

Turranius

Supporter
RL Member
I'm still at a loss to why your emulators keeps playing sounds when the emulator (process) is closed. Does not make sense =)

Dime333

RL Member
I'm still at a loss to why your emulators keeps playing sounds when the emulator (process) is closed. Does not make sense =)

ProgramSpecificVolumeIfActiveOnly=True

I think this is it. I think fade kicks in before the process is closed and since the app is not in focus it raises the sound to 55. What do you think?

Hang on, I'll disable that and test.

Edit: Reverted back to 1.4.0, set ProgramSpecificVolumeIfActiveOnly=false and removed Hyperspin from ProgramSpecificVolume in order for TAIVA not to keep the volume at 55 when running PJ64. The sound did not get raised on exit, so I'm pretty sure I nailed this one. Woohoooo!!!! I'm great :)

Last edited: