Bezel for Project64

spyksaturn

RL Member
Read some good things on here about it needing very specific guidelines. I have set the emulators resolution to match that of my graphics card. How now do I tell how large my canvas size in gimp needs to be, how large my transparency needs to be, and how do I lay that transparency on my canvas? I want so badly to figure this out! Resolution is 3840x2160 if needed. Also not sure what my coordinates will be on my positioning file. Anyone able to point me in the right direction? I'd like to dissect this so I know how to figure it out any time.

griffin518

RL Member
I use GIMP as well, so maybe I can lend a hand if you need it.

Canvas size will always be the resolution of your monitor. Sounds like 3840x2160 is it.

Coordinates in your ini file will depend on where you want the display area to appear on the screen. I always grab a screenshot with the emulator running in its native aspect ratio and lay out the bezel from there (that would be your transparent area).. but I prefer a full screen view.

spyksaturn

RL Member
Awesome this is a great start. I appreciate it big time! I think the only other question would be how do I make the canvas transparent? Or am I thinking of this wrong. Ok so googled and found out. Youtube didn't help. All you do though is make your canvas an alpha channel and hit the delete key (in case anyone else stumbles upon this and wonders). Thanks so much! You made my day off so enjoyable and I rarely get time to enjoy my day off let alone work on my hyperspin projects! THANK YOU!!!!!!!

Last edited:

spyksaturn

RL Member
So I thought we had it figured out but even with the canvas set to the size of the aspect ratio I still get Project 64 over riding the full screen command when launched by rocket launcher with my bezel tiny in the middle of the screen and the game running in a small window in the corner. Not sure if the fact there is a back ground behind them that covers the whole screen is the problem or how to turn off that option if so.

spyksaturn

RL Member
So I thought we had it figured out but even with the canvas set to the size of the aspect ratio I still get Project 64 over riding the full screen command when launched by rocket launcher with my bezel tiny in the middle of the screen and the game running in a small window in the corner. Not sure if the fact there is a back ground behind them that covers the whole screen is the problem or how to turn off that option if so. I think this may have to do with hyperspin sense I just found the back ground in the hyperspin media folder. I can't seem to find the option to turn it off though in hyperspin or rocket launcher. I think this sounds like a good guess because it is in a different aspect ratio so it may be upsetting things with Project64 since it is sensitive to these things. Anyone know how to turn it off? Well I went a step past trying to turn it off and deleted it. Turns out it was in a rocket launcher folder. This did not help. Still running into rlauncher bypassing the fullscreen and setting project64 back to window mode (even when I go back and open project 64 as an emulator without going through rocket launcher). If I change it back as just the emulator it will stay that way until I try to open it with rocket launcher again and it just creates the windowed screen with a tiny version of my bezel in the middle of the screen. Not going well.

Last edited:

bleasby

RocketLauncher Developer
Developer
The emulator most probably uses the bezel fixresmode from what you describe.
If that is the case, you need to set in the emulator options the resolution that you want to run the game, because the emu will not allow RL to resize its gameplay area, and the bezel will be drawn around the resolution that you choose to use.

If you want to use the screenshot trick to build a bezel, just run the emulator in windowed mode to get the game size correctly.

spyksaturn

RL Member
If that is the case, you need to set in the emulator options the resolution that you want to run the game, because the emu will not allow RL to resize its gameplay area, and the bezel will be drawn around the resolution that you choose to use.

If you want to use the screenshot trick to build a bezel, just run the emulator in windowed mode to get the game size correctly.

So I have offically done this and made what I think to be a damn nice 007 bezel. Much to my dismay I am having the same problem. The good news is the resolution didn't change its self this time. The bad news is i still had the same problem where the bezel is in the middle of the screen and the game is off to the side, both being a much smaller image than what they are. I almost feel as if its trying to load the backround that was at a different ratio. Is there an option somewhere to prevent backround from loading?

Last edited:

spyksaturn

RL Member
Ok I did a little experimenting and found that every time Rlauncher opens project 64 it opens it in full screen and resets Project 64 to full screen. Does anyone know how to prevent this from happening so I can get this bezel to work?

damageinc86

RL Member

I did the screenshot trick using a transparent bezel to see exactly where the window was. Then I made one in photoshop and it covered it all nicely. But then, when launching through rocketlauncher, it is squishing the bezel smaller so it's not expanded out to the full 1920x1080 that my screen is, and that the file dimensions are. It is drawing the bezel on top of the PJ64 window just fine, but it isn't filling up my entire screen for some reason. Any pointers on this?