Bezels and reload off screen issue

Potts43

RL Member
Hi ,
Recently I've setup two aimtrak light guns. In mame a lot of games reload by shooting off screen. This works by tricking the software into placing the cursor to coordinates 1,max. I'm finding that with bezels enabled you cannot reload as the cursor can't get to the bottom left position. Is there a way to still use bezels for light guns? If I have full screen transparent bezel on to enable instruction cards then I can still reload.

djvj

Administrator
Staff member
Developer
Bezels are not constricting the mouse in any form. So why would the mouse not be able to reach off screen? Are you sure this has to do with RL at all?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Potts43

RL Member
Bezels are not constricting the mouse in any form. So why would the mouse not be able to reach off screen? Are you sure this has to do with RL at all?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Although I'm not certain what I think is happening is this:

Without a bezel you can reach all minimum and maximum screen coordinates. When you introduce a bezel then you are restricted to a small Aperture which probably doesn't relate to the minimum coordinates required to register that you are actually shooting off screen so the game doesn't do a reload. I tested this with Mame Area51.
If I select a full HD Bezel that is transparent 1080x1920 then it works. If I use a bezel that has a small square opening for the game then the game crosshair goes around the outer aperture but not the perimeter of the monitor screen and doesn't reload. I was wondering if it is because the device appears to be on screen . Ie not 1,max but something like 100,800

I hope this is understandable . Cheers

Last edited:

brolly

Administrator
Developer
Isn't that related with MAME being windowed? If you are running MAME on windowed mode (like you are when using bezels) I think the mouse movements will be locked to the MAME window by default.

Potts43

RL Member
Isn't that related with MAME being windowed? If you are running MAME on windowed mode (like you are when using bezels) I think the mouse movements will be locked to the MAME window by default.

Yeah that's right Brolly. I'm just wondering if you use bezels it prohibits off screen loading. However, you would have thought this would be taken into account by Mame. I'm new to light guns and thought someone would have already come across this issue or there may be a work around. [emoji1303]

brolly

Administrator
Developer
As djvj said bezels don't block any mouse movement, but they WILL force MAME to run in windowed mode so that's where your problem comes from. If you try running MAME directly in windowed mode you'll have the same issue.

This is normally not an issue, because for lightgun games you normally want to run them in fullscreen and MAME does have a built-in bezel feature. That being said I'm not sure if there's a way to disable mouse movement locking while in windowed mode, perhaps there's a command line switch for that, try looking for it in the docs.

Potts43

RL Member
I know, it's because Mame is expecting 1,max position to reload and the windowed mode is stopping that being possible. Hmmm

brolly

Administrator
Developer
You can ask in the MAME forums if there's any solution for this.

One alternative would be to use the 2nd fire button for reloading.

djvj

Administrator
Staff member
Developer
I believe I came across this years ago when testing my aimtraks and is not new. It is related to running in a small window and mame not recognizing when the cursor is supposed to be off screen. I never found out a solution for this so if you do, please post here as it could be useful info for the module notes. But yea, ask on the mame forums for help on that.

pofo14

I believe I came across this years ago when testing my aimtraks and is not new. It is related to running in a small window and mame not recognizing when the cursor is supposed to be off screen. I never found out a solution for this so if you do, please post here as it could be useful info for the module notes. But yea, ask on the mame forums for help on that.

I know this is an older post. I just got around to setting up my guns and stumbled across this issue. Is there a way to set a "game specific" bezel setting? Am I out of luck if I want to use RL Bezels but turn them off just for the couple games that have off screen reload?

agent47

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
RL Member
Right click a game in RLUI and select Game Options to set things on a per game basis, including bezels.

pofo14

Right click a game in RLUI and select Game Options to set things on a per game basis, including bezels.

I did try that. I actually don't think it is it the bezels - as some of the previous posts say it is running Mame in windowed mode that causes the issue. Selecting Full Screen mode is at the system leve, and I am not sure what mode it runs in if I disable Bezels at the game level.

I am using Launchbox as a FE - and what I did is create a "custom platform" called ArcadeGuns - and only set games that have off screen reload to use that platform. It's not ideal but I can set that to have all bezels off and run in full screen mode and it seems to work.

Just wondering if I can accomplish this in RL without having the second system setup.