Change Launchbox Plugin to accept playlists?

alfi

RL Member
I chatted with Jason from the Launchbox about the possibility of the MAME playlist that are created by LB (Capcom Classics, Capcom Play System, Cave, etc ...) to be executed in RocketLauncher as platforms, in order to be able to execute the existing fades and configurations in the RocketLauncher. RL, because currently all are executed in RL as MAME and he told me that there should be some change in the plugin.
So I come here to ask if anyone can sort it out. :(

agent47

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
RL Member
Like I mentioned in that thread, although the plugins would need to be updated to pull metadata correctly and populate the system list in RL the problem you're describing needs to be fixed in LaunchBox, not the RL plugins.

LaunchBox sends the parent system name instead of the playlist name to RL. That's why everything is executing as MAME. LB needs an option to send RL the playlist name instead of the system name.

agent47

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
RL Member
Jason agreed to add this option but we then realized there would be complications that need to be sorted in RL.

The main issue is any playlists that don't use the standard RL names won't work for modules that have system name checks in them. I implemented a feature on a test setup that will resolve this by allowing any system name to work in general, not just for LB. However, this breaks certain things in RLUI and the RL devs are taking a break from development due to life stuff. Not only that but even if I did update the plugin your system list in RLUI would be a pain to navigate since it doesn't nest systems/playlists so there would be hundreds (or thousands) of entries in the system list in RLUI.

So I would at minimum have to create a tool to configure playlists to work around the RLUI problems. Or I would have to write a complete replacement for RLUI so users wouldn't have to switch back and forth between the two. I haven't decided what I want to do regarding that yet. I'm currently updating all of the modules to use the RL classes and creating a mirrored set that allows for any system/playlist name so that needs to come first, then doing a tool/RLUI replacement, then updating the plugins.

This stuff is at the top of my to-do list but since I do this in my free time I can't and won't give any timeframe. I definitely won't be doing any significant work on it in the next week since Hitman 2 released today ;)

damageinc86

RL Member
I'm confused. All of the games from my arcade playlists launch with fades and bezels and everything, because launchbox just calls upon the MAME (arcade) system no matter what the playlist is called.

agent47

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
RL Member
Right, that's the current behavior as I explained above.

What OP wants is to have different media/settings for each playlist which isn't currently possible because the playlist name isn't sent to RL. The parent platform is always sent so it will always use the media/settings from the parent platform.

ci2own

RL Member
Is there any advance with this? I can make RL see the "Atari Classics" from LaunchBox, but there's no games when audit.