Controller indicator help - Suggestions

shredder_guitarist

RL Member
I have been on Hyperspin/Rlauncher hiatus FOREVER! I'm trying to get things to a point where after 15 long years (yes, that long), things are finally solidified and done with. That said, I have designed my setup in such a way that it is as close to authentic as i can possibly get it, meaning If super nintendo is selected, then a super nintendo controller is required to play. There are times I have had to get creative with this kind of authenticity; for example If playing Gameboy, then an NES controller is required or If playing Ex-Emu then a Sony Playstation controller is required. Naturally, with a lot of different systems, this becomes mentally difficult to keep track of...so I am looking for some sort of visual indicator that i can incorporate that would tell the player that the selected system uses a type of controller that it is set up for.

My initial thought was something to display during the loading screen... perhaps on the mid-right side somewhere (example screenshot below), but how can i do it without disrupting anything else?
My next thought was using an instruction card (I've never messed with instruction cards ever)...But i think instruction cards purpose are for something other than what i would want to use it for.

Any other solutions are welcome, I'm curious as to what other people in similar situations have done for inspiration. Perhaps a visual indicator in Pause? or HS?

3LgxFT7.png

Enkak

RL Member
I personally use RL Pause Menu controller tab for that to show default inputs per system for a Xbox controller, for example.
Loading/Fade screen generally disappears too quickly to read anything and prefer it to look more minimalistic.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    304.9 KB · Views: 8
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    288.6 KB · Views: 7

Flostingyeti

RL Member
That's an interesting question.

I might change the system pointer to include a small icon of the controller.

You also can change the Fade background to include a picture of the controller.

But, if you use Pause Menu, Enkak's suggestion is probably best.