DC VMU bezel question

Hunk_4TH

RL Member
Is there any way to move the VMUs over since they sorta overlap the emu window? I'm running Nulldc and it looks like this. 20150131233620.jpg It isn't a big deal if moving them isn't possible.

Thanks!

laprocket

RL Member
Hunk

I just started trying to set up these bezels. What do you have the files named in your bezel folder and what are your settings in hyperlaunch?

Thanks

Hunk_4TH

RL Member
The VMU bezel is separate.(search the module forum) Though I'd like to know if it's possible to move the VMU bezels slightly.

bleasby

RocketLauncher Developer
Developer
Is there any way to move the VMUs over since they sorta overlap the emu window? I'm running Nulldc and it looks like this. View attachment 384 It isn't a big deal if moving them isn't possible.

If you take a look at the VMU bezel image you will notice that I included a transparent margin on the left and right sides of the VMU image. Just remove these margins and update the VMU ini file coordinates and the VMU image should be located a little more near to the edges of the screen.

You can even create your own VMU bezel image if you want to make the screen appear even near to the edges.

I just started trying to set up these bezels. What do you have the files named in your bezel folder and what are your settings in hyperlaunch?

laprocket, please create another thread to post your doubts in place of hijacking other thread question that is not related with your issue.

The only requirement on the bezel image is that they should start by the "bezel" word and be always together with a ini file named exactly the same that includes the screen coordinates.
You can find a lot of already made, and properly named bezels around already.

If you are not able to make them work, just post a hyperlaunch.log file (in troubleshooting level) so somebody could try to help you on that.

Hunk_4TH

RL Member
Thanks for replying bleasby! Hmm well what I'm trying to do is move the VMUs more to the edge of the screen so they don't overlap with the emu screen in my case Nulldc. If this makes sense or did I misunderstand what you said?

bleasby

RocketLauncher Developer
Developer
Thanks for replying bleasby! Hmm well what I'm trying to do is move the VMUs more to the edge of the screen so they don't overlap with the emu screen in my case Nulldc. If this makes sense or did I misunderstand what you said?

You do this by modifying the VMU bezel image (HyperLaunch\Media\Bezels\Sega Dreamcast\_Default\VMU Bezel.png) like I just said in my previous post.

It is the VMU bezel that determines where the VMU window will be placed. If the VMU bezel is smaller, it will not reach the gameplay area.

Let me try to explain again.

The VMUs are placed based on the VMU1Pos option on HyperLaunchHQ and the VMU bezel file.

It is the VMU bezel file that determines how far the VMU screen will be from the edge of the screen.

If you take a look at the VMU bezel file (HyperLaunch\Media\Bezels\Sega Dreamcast\_Default\VMU Bezel.png) you will see that the VMU Bezel image has some transparent margins on the left and right as I described in my previous post.

You can create a alternative VMU bezel file that could have the screen located near to the edge of the screen just by adapting the bezel that I provided (just diminishes the bezel image canvas by removing the transparent edges from the image) or by creating a entirely new bezel image.

Just use the same usual instructions on how to do a bezel image to create this VMU bezel image (don't forget to update the bezel ini coordinates).

If you create a smaller VMU bezel, you could achieve what you want.

The VMU bezel image that you create will them be placed on the screen based on the VMU1Pos option.

By the other hand the VMU1Pos determines from which screen edge the VMU bezel file will be displayed. The options are topRight, topCenter, topLeft, leftCenter, bottomLeft, bottomCenter, bottomRight and rightCenter.

By the default I set to the first VMU window to be drawn at the top left of the screen and the second one to be draw at the top right of the screen. That is why they are on these exact positions on your screenshot.

rfancella

Super Moderator
Supporter
RL Member
You do this by modifying the VMU bezel image (HyperLaunch\Media\Bezels\Sega Dreamcast\_Default\VMU Bezel.png) like I just said in my previous post.

It is the VMU bezel that determines where the VMU window will be placed. If the VMU bezel is smaller, it will not reach the gameplay area.

Let me try to explain again.

The VMUs are placed based on the VMU1Pos option on HyperLaunchHQ and the VMU bezel file.

It is the VMU bezel file that determines how far the VMU screen will be from the edge of the screen.

If you take a look at the VMU bezel file (HyperLaunch\Media\Bezels\Sega Dreamcast\_Default\VMU Bezel.png) you will see that the VMU Bezel image has some transparent margins on the left and right as I described in my previous post.

You can create a alternative VMU bezel file that could have the screen located near to the edge of the screen just by adapting the bezel that I provided (just diminishes the bezel image canvas by removing the transparent edges from the image) or by creating a entirely new bezel image.

Just use the same usual instructions on how to do a bezel image to create this VMU bezel image (don't forget to update the bezel ini coordinates).

If you create a smaller VMU bezel, you could achieve what you want.

The VMU bezel image that you create will them be placed on the screen based on the VMU1Pos option.

By the other hand the VMU1Pos determines from which screen edge the VMU bezel file will be displayed. The options are topRight, topCenter, topLeft, leftCenter, bottomLeft, bottomCenter, bottomRight and rightCenter.

By the default I set to the first VMU window to be drawn at the top left of the screen and the second one to be draw at the top right of the screen. That is why they are on these exact positions on your screenshot.

I am to assume as well, you want it moved up or down (away from the top or bottom of the screen), one could add some transparent area above and/or below the VMU image and adjust the VMU bezel ini as well??

Thanks,
Ron

laprocket

RL Member
If you take a look at the VMU bezel image you will notice that I included a transparent margin on the left and right sides of the VMU image. Just remove these margins and update the VMU ini file coordinates and the VMU image should be located a little more near to the edges of the screen.

You can even create your own VMU bezel image if you want to make the screen appear even near to the edges.

laprocket, please create another thread to post your doubts in place of hijacking other thread question that is not related with your issue.

The only requirement on the bezel image is that they should start by the "bezel" word and be always together with a ini file named exactly the same that includes the screen coordinates.
You can find a lot of already made, and properly named bezels around already.

If you are not able to make them work, just post a hyperlaunch.log file (in troubleshooting level) so somebody could try to help you on that.

i didn't ask my question the correct way. I know how to set up bezels i've been using hyperspin/hyperlaunch for a long time. I was really wanting to know what the VMU bezel file name needed to be to get it to show up. I was naming it bezel 2.png which is obviously wrong. Once I renamed to the file to VMU Bezel.png it showed up and worked perfect.

Hunk_4TH

RL Member
Thanks guys for the replies! And thanks Bleasby for explaining! @ laprocket glad you got it figured it out man. Btw what VMU bezel are you using?

laprocket

RL Member
Thanks guys for the replies! And thanks Bleasby for explaining! @ laprocket glad you got it figured it out man. Btw what VMU bezel are you using?

For the main bezel i'm using the Bezel - 16x9 Dreamcast Clean (Grizz) and for the VMU i'm using the .png from the zip file bleasby posted in another thread with rfancella. That is where i got confused. The file in the zip was already named correctly but in one of his earlier post which i misread, he said the file needed to be named "Bezel [2S]*.png"

20j1wz4.png

Last edited:

Hunk_4TH

RL Member
For the main bezel i'm using the Bezel - 16x9 Dreamcast Clean (Grizz) and for the VMU i'm using the .png from the zip file bleasby posted in another thread with rfancella. That is where i got confused. The file in the zip was already named correctly but in one of his earlier post which i misread, he said the file needed to be named "Bezel [2S]*.png"

20j1wz4.png

Nice! Where did you find this at? All I can find is his 16x10 one.

laprocket

RL Member
in the hyperspin FTP

/Upload Here/_HyperLaunch Media/Bezels/Approved/16x9/Bezels/Sega Dreamcast/_Default

bleasby

RocketLauncher Developer
Developer
I am to assume as well, you want it moved up or down (away from the top or bottom of the screen), one could add some transparent area above and/or below the VMU image and adjust the VMU bezel ini as well??

Yes sir!

i didn't ask my question the correct way. I know how to set up bezels i've been using hyperspin/hyperlaunch for a long time. I was really wanting to know what the VMU bezel file name needed to be to get it to show up. I was naming it bezel 2.png which is obviously wrong. Once I renamed to the file to VMU Bezel.png it showed up and worked perfect.

Oh, sorry. I though that is was a more generic bezel question.
Yes you are right.
The VMU bezel image should start with the word "VMU", nothing more. So "VMU Bezel.jpg", "VMU.bmp", "VMU blablabla.png" should all work.

Thanks guys for the replies! And thanks Bleasby for explaining!

No problem, glad to be of help.

Sorry about the confusion. As you could see from the posts on the other thread, the [2S] alternative did not worked as I though because the VMU screen size cannot be resized. That is why I had to update the module and the bezel functions to handle the VMU bezel in a independent way.
So, just use the "VMU" file name preffix for this case as I mentioned above.