Fusion - Emulator Box Visible During Launch

newoski

Supporter
RL Member
Hi DJVJ,

I'm having trouble setting up Fusion 3.64. No matter what settings I try, I end up with the emulator window being visible momentarily against the black background during launch.

Same problem for all Sega systems that really on the emulator, obviously. I've tried fresh installs of emu, no change. Emulator full screen size is set to my system resolution, 1280x1024.

Any help would be tremendously appreciated!

Log file, set to Debug 2, is below:
http://pastebin.com/GfNdP9FB

I originally posted this on the HS HL forums, but you seem to be really engaging over here, so I thought I'd join the forum here. Hope that's OK.

djvj

Administrator
Staff member
Developer
Hi newoski,

All logs must be set to troubleshooting (guess why I called it that?:cool:). That log does not help or tell you any information because you have it set at error, not debug:
Code:
[COLOR=#000000][FONT=Consolas]logLevel = 3[/FONT][/COLOR]

I also don't know what your problem is with how you described it. You say momentarily visible, but then what happens? Is it behind the black background, is it partially visible, what happens before you press your exit key, what do you see? Can you please post a screenshot, they go a long way on problems that deal with the look.

newoski

Supporter
RL Member
Hi DVJV,

Sorry, I was pulling my hair out trying to figure out how to enable Troubleshooting in the Log Viewer tab. Obviously, I was looking in the wrong place. Sorry about that. Here is my log:

http://pastebin.com/x2NGtdxV

Essentially, the fade/loading screen appears... it says loading complete... the small (windows version) of Fusion is silhouetted in black or solid white... and then the game opens full screen.

What do you recommend for screen capture? I'll be happy to record a video...

Last edited:

djvj

Administrator
Staff member
Developer
You should not be using fade at all when you have a problem. Consider Fade as your finishing touch, that last bit of polish, after all the launching has been proven working. The only time you want Fade enabled while troubleshooting is when you are trying to figure out an issue with Fade itself.

So after you have turned off FadeIn, try your launch again, and press your PrntScrn key when you see the problem, or when the game should be running in Fusion. If you see a little msg pop up in the top left when pressing that key, it means HL saved it to your HL\Media\Artwork\system\game folder. So you can attach that image here or host it on an imghost and link to it here.

Now if you have a problem while it is loading only, and after fade exits to show your emu, the game is fine, then a video might be a better choice as it can be hard to capture that moment in a screenshot and relay your problem to me.

Can you tell me if the window is a console window created by fusion? or is it the window that shows the rom itself? This is where a video would help so I can understand exactly what window you see popping through.

Another thing to note is the next HL update, many modules are seeing an update to properly support Hide Emu option in HLHQ. Right now only 1 or 2 modules support it and Fusion is not one of them. This will change come the next update. That setting might actually be your fix for this issue.

Last edited:

djvj

Administrator
Staff member
Developer
I don't see any flash on launch, I do see a slight flash on exiting the emu of HLHQ (I think, just so fast).

If your problem is on exit, this is usually pretty easy because it has to do with this:
Code:
[COLOR=#000000][FONT=Consolas]exitEmulatorKey = ~Esc[/FONT][/COLOR]

Try changing that to something temporary like Space. See what the behavior is.

If it's truly at launch, the video does not reflect it, probably because it is so fast your capture did not pick it up.

newoski

Supporter
RL Member
It's at the start of launch. Screen goes black... Tiny emu window pops up for a split second. Sega logo appears...

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

newoski

Supporter
RL Member
Here's a screengrab from that video. Looks like the emu window is actually popping up right before the screen goes back, and then is visible silhouetted against the black for a second

1z65w6w.png

cID67

RL Member
I have seen this emulator flash issue as well. in fact its the reason i stoped using fusion for everything but sega 32x. the flash appears to be the emulator going full screen. the emulator window briefly appears over the top of hyperlaunch fade as it switches to full screen. nothing fixes this behavior that i have found. I use mednafen for Sega emulation where possible now that the it has a option to not disable aero during full screen switching.
It fades in and out very well.

newoski

Supporter
RL Member
Thanks cID67.

Any tips of configuring Mednafen? I can't figure out how to impliment changes to config.

For example... making Game Gear full screen. I understand the language, but I don't understand where to put the settings modifications. Every time I edit the main cfg file, it reverts back on launch.