Game Doesn't Launch from new Sub-Category System/List

LochavenManor

I've had a bit of trouble trying to do what I want to do. I like to think there must be a parameter that is not being passed correctly, but if it were that simple, I doubt I'd need to post for help.

I've got the system running correctly, I believe. I can open RocketLauncher (and Hyperspin, but I am trying to do this without the front end, too, as I figure it out). I wanted to create a new main wheel in hyperspin with Trackball Games. So I created the file structure, created the database, all that. There are like 235 trackball games, and RocketLauncher sees them all when it audits. They are all a subset of the MAME system, with thousands of games.

Let's use Centipede as the test subject. Whether in Hypersppin, or just in RocketLauncher, if I select the MAME system, go to the games, select Centipede, and launch it, the game comes right up. If I go the Trackball Games "system" in RocketLauncher, it never launches. I've got it (supposedly) pointing to the same emulator and module as the MAME system, but it just never loads. Hyperspin gives me the "Extraction Complete" message, and then nothing. But from the MAME wheel, works fine.

I can't seem to figure out why when I use the Trackball Games system/wheel, I get the error message, "There was an error waiting for the window "ahk_class MAME". Please check you have the correct version emulator installed for this module ..." It should be the same version emulator it is using from the MAME system/wheel. But I must be missing a path entry somewhere.

I've posted my log here: https://pastebin.com/mGBd9D9u

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Brian

LochavenManor

Nevermind. Found it. Can't believe that took me literally all day to solve.

(LegacyMode was set to Default. Needed to be set to True.)

agent47

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
RL Member
No, this is not the correct way to run this and you are doing some basic things wrong.

agent47

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
RL Member
This is from a cursory glance, so there may be more issues but these are the immediate ones that I saw.

1. You're using an out of date MAME module. This may not be your fault because the updater reverted to an old version that doesn't work. Unfortunately you will have to search the forum for an updated one. I posted a corrected one 4 years ago when the change was made. I believe at least one person posted an updated one to mine to fix a later issue.

2. As the module notes say (which you should always read) you need to set "Skip Checks" to "Rom Only" for MAME. Otherwise some games won't run correctly. It's more noticeable depending on the type of romset you're using.

If you absolve both of those issues (set LegacyMode to false as you should) and are still unable to launch games please post an updated troubleshooting log and I will try to help.

Last edited:

LochavenManor

Thanks, @agent47.

Since my post this past weekend, I've made a number of changes to see what I could do:
  • Backed up the whole system (to save the artwork and a few .ini files I might need as I rebuild)
  • Wiped out HyperSpin, RocketLauncher, and MAME completely
  • Clean install of HyperSpin
  • Clean install of RocketLauncher
When you said I was doing some basic things wrong, I thought maybe it was a file structure issue, so starting with a clean install, I figured the programs would put the files where they needed to be, in case that was the issue. I'll go back and add the artwork and videos and images and whatnot later, when then games are loading correctly.

Then I went and got MAME 0.258, hot off the press, and installed that to the Emulators directory. Games load fine through the MAME UI. Made sure I could still play a few of them.

Tested a few in RocketLauncher. So far, so good.

Started Hyperspin - no good. Games won't load. I still get the error message, "There was an error waiting for the window 'ahk_class MAME'." This is without any custom systems like I was trying to do before. This is just trying to launch from the standard MAME wheel from a clean installation.

There was a module posted in this thread a while ago:

I loaded that module and it works perfectly.

Maybe that is the one you were referring to in your first bullet? An updated module from a few years ago? The system seems to work fine now. LegacyMode is off. New module installted. Games run. I am taking your comment about "doing some basic things wrong" to heart, so hopefully you can confirm that I am doing it right now (clean installation, updated ROM set, updated modified module). I don't want to get deeper into this project and run into more problems that are because I am still doing some basic thiings wrong.

Thanks,
Brian

agent47

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
RL Member
TLDR;, the module is what was causing your issues. That's why I mentioned that first.

Let me start by apologizing for being overly blunt.

Reading your response I can tell that you have the basic know-how to diagnose and troubleshoot issues. For future reference, you will want to follow the following steps if things don't work (and it will happen):

Does it work through the emulator directly? If it does, it's not an issue with the emulator. It's one of the 3 stacks of apps you have on top of it.

Does it work through RLUI? If it does, then there is an issue with how your frontend is connected/settings/whatever and is an issue with your frontend.

If you have no idea or things don't make sense, please post a Troubleshooting Log. Without one anyone replying is just guessing. If you post one we can narrow it down and solve your issue.

I'm glad you figured it out and I'm sorry for putting unnecessary pressure or doubt on you.

I hope you get along well Brian. If not, you have permission to DM me :)

Last edited:

LochavenManor

Thank you for your help. I think everything is working. Now it is just a matter of the look and feel of the front end. I wish the Hyperspin Forum would come back. I keep searching the internet for answers, and I can see the beginning of very similar questions in the search results, but the answers all lead to what appears to be a dead forum. So I am doing a lot by trial and error. But the RocketLauncher part seems better.

Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction.

agent47

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
RL Member
HS is a dead frontend. It hasn't received a meaningful update in 10-20 years. If you like the "wheel" look I would recommend checking out AttractMode as a frontend. It's open source and the themes mimic HS. I believe LaunchBox has a similar theme but you have to pay for it and their prices have gotten unreasonable IMO.

LochavenManor

Thanks. I couldn't tell if Hyperspin was still a viable option or not. I knew of the "competitors" but I thought maybe it was just a preference to choose one over the other.

I'll finish the HyperSpin build - I think I am close now. When I get a full working system, I'll move it and the cabinet upstairs, back up the development system, and then I can try making a switch on the dev drive this winter.