General Settings - Default Frontend Path

SeriousJosh

RL Member
While setting up my HS/RL system I missed the point in my tutorial to set up the "Default Frontend Path" in the General Settings section and ended up only configuring the default Frontend in the RLUI section. This leads to an obscure and little informative Scripting Error when starting games from HS while launching games from RocketLauncherUI worked like a charm. By using Google i found a couple of threads where people had the same problem. Some suggested to copy their databases to the RocketLauncherUI directory while others set a link in the file system to point to the correct databases... So you can see this is a real problem for your users. In my opinion it doesn't make any sense to ship RL with this path pre set to anything because you should encurage users to correctly utilize the -f parameter when calling RL in all cases. For new HS/RL users it is kind of confusing and not very intuitive having to set the same setting (Default FE) twice in the same tool. My suggestion to improve the situation is this:

Solution 1: Remove the pre set path from RL install files so HS users get a more informative error message when they fail to set up the path and still try to call RL via legacy interface without the -f param. That way they may even be motivated to fix the problem at the source (update HS) instead of using some obscure legacy setting in RL.

Solution 2: Set the path automatically when the user sets up his default FE in the RLUI tab. In my opinion there is little reason not to do so since power users who might want to have multiple FEs should be able to configure/update HS correctly to deliver the -f parameter in the first place while new HS users would have an easier and more intuitive setup experiance without having to set up the same default FE path twice. Non-HS users would not be affected anyway since they don't need to set the legacy path at all.

Solution 3: Bleasby seems convinced, that the legacy setting needs to stay around for some reason and therefore can't be set automatically when the user changes his default FE in RLGUI. In this case I suggest that you ask the user via msg box only when he chooses HS as his default FE if he also would like to update the legacy setting in RL. We know if the user is choosing Hs by analysing the path (executalbe) and/or the RL/RLUI plugin he is selecting. All non HS users would not be affected at all. Bleasby thinks this could be annoying for the power users who switch the default FE all the time. But even that could be easily avoided by having a simple "Don't ask me again" option in the msg box.

Last edited:

djvj

Administrator
Staff member
Developer
1: We encourage users to utilize RLUI before launching through other FE's so they can see that things work correctly before adding one more step that adds in another point of failure (the FE). This setting was critical to making this happen so RL's features, that depend on a database, can work out of the box. Also I try as little as possible to gear anything toward one FE or another. I dislike having to support legacy CLI at all and I only do so I don't alienate HS users.

2: This is a possibility, but would be up to brolly to implement. I can see this working as a msgbox on first run like "hey you don't have this set but it might be required in your scenario, do you want to set this now?" I don't know if brolly has this sort of scripting going on in RLUI atm and only he can chime in on if this is easily done.

3: The default FE path is actually a newer setting and not a legacy one. It came about after the name change to RL and officially supporting every FE out there. The setting is not going anywhere, nor is the -f parameter. I do not want a popup to ask me everytime, yes this can get annoying as I change default FE a lot when testing, like all the devs probably do. I also think having a setting to not annoy me is a case of "over-development". RL/RLUI is akin to Photoshop, not MS Paint. We have many options, and each of them can break your setup. After you have been using it for some time, you get very familiar to these options and you start to realize the power of RL. We are not trying to make it guard against every user's case or annoyance, we just don't have time for that with the little development time we have.

bleasby

RocketLauncher Developer
Developer
Just one small thing SeriousJosh.
Next time just present your suggestion and refrain yourself from describing what I or any other user think about it with your own words.
Your words do not reflect my opinions and it is a very biased interpretation of what I discussed on the other thread.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk