[GUIDE] Crosshair for any emulator without build in funtion

gStAv

Supporter
RL Member
Hi!

Just wanted to share my work around in Demul (though it should work in any other emulator I guess)
For games which do not have crosshair you can either shoot in blind as intended, but for me I rather have
somthing to aim with as a lightgun is more of "hey I'm shootin' from my crouch" aiming style.

Now with double size crosshair!!! 64x64 compare video below

Here is how I did it:

*Download the free RealWorld Cursor Editor

*import the blue MAME crosshair, from the .../MAME/crosshair/ folder

*Remeber to check the "hot spot" so it is as centered as possible as this is the true aiming pixel)

rl_0.jpg

* Make sure that you set the mouse pointer Hide Cursor to Custom in RL's System > Games > Configure Specifig Game Options

rl_0.jpg

In order for RL to find the custom cursor you can place it in as

* RL default cursor
* System default cursor
* ROM/Game specific cursor

Name of the file does not matter, check this post from mr.bleasby. Thanks pal!

Done :D

Attachments

• MAME_Crosshair_cursor_RL_custom-gStAv.zip
    5.9 KB · Views: 189
Last edited:

brolly

Administrator
Developer
Actually you can simply change hide cursor to custom and name the .cur file properly so RL will load it, there's no need to change your windows cursor through control panel as this will make that crosshair you default cursor from that point on.

gStAv

Supporter
RL Member
Thanx @brolly and @bleasby for the insight.
That option is of corse much better! :D
I have updated the "guide" in the first post, also updated with more colors of the crosshair
yellow, violet, white, red, green, cyan, blue, black from the MAME folder

Glad you liked it @Ninja2bseen

Would be cool to make the cursor even bigger but I think 32x32 pixels is the biggest possible?

cheers!

Last edited:

bleasby

RocketLauncher Developer
Developer
Would be cool to make the cursor even bigger but I think 32x32 pixels is the biggest possible?

I believe it would be possible to add support for that easily on RL as it seams that the cursor functions already support custom sizes.

You would need to test it although, to make sure it would work.

Open you RocketLauncher\Lib\shared.ahk file and at line 77 change this line:
Code:
SetSystemCursor(Cursor)

to include the cursor size. For example:
Code:
SetSystemCursor(Cursor,128,128)

Let us know the results.
If it works, we will add proper support for that on RLUI.

gStAv

Supporter
RL Member
W-O-W!
It works, but 128,128 seems to push it. At least for my system.
SetSystemCursor(Cursor,64,64) works though and is perfect with the double size. :tee:

Thanks a bunch!!!

bleasby

RocketLauncher Developer
Developer
Nice. Now I just need to make brolly add one more option to RLUI and djvj add it to RL code.
One more option for you brolly, I know you love that and missed my requests for that already [emoji12]

Once it is done the change log will inform you about it and you will be able to remove the custom edited shared.ahk file and get back to the official one.

Edit WoW. Nice game room that you have there! I wish I could have something like that.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

brolly

Administrator
Developer
bleasby, make a post with the needed info in the dev section so we don't forget about it. Indeed it has been a while since a new setting was added :)

gStAv

Supporter
RL Member
Thanks @bleasby, I almost envy myself for my arcade room :D
I tried with a bunch of games and all but one worked fine with 64x64
Sega Naomi - "Pokasuka Ghost" had to have 32x32 or it went invisble.
Would be great with per game setting then I guess.

Thanks for the quick replies and imputs guys! :cheers:

Ninja2bseen

RL Member
this got me thinking, is there a way to have a cursor for player one and then a separate one for player two?

Ninja2bseen

RL Member
I also wonder is there a way to make the cursors appears if the game xml genre is shooter or something like that. Would make it easier to set up the cursors slightly by default

dgrace

RL Member
I was wondering the same thing. I use Demulshooter to play sega model 2 and demul light gun games with two player dual mode and was wondering if you could make play one red and player 2 blue (for example). Any ideas?

fire10

RL Member
Hi guys did anyone manage to work out if we could get working a 2 player cursor, please post on here if you have any info. Merry Christmas guys

thfc1978

Hi, sorry to bother you but I am having no luck getting the crosshair to come up in Silent Hill Arcade and some others. I think it might be something to do with demulshooter as I am using demulshooter through RL to launch a lot of these games for 2 player capability. I followed your instructions and the crosshair loads up on loads of other games which is making me think somehow demulshooter is blocking it. Have you heard anything about this? if so do you know a way to fix the problem. My little one struggles if she doesn't have a crosshair on the screen LOL.

Thank you