How make a program that starts after Windows be loaded, and that allow Select Hyperspin Horizontal or Hyperspin Vertical

Dhampird

Hello, this is a future project that time ago i had in mind, but i dont know how make this true, the idea is make a boot program that loads after Windows7 x64, in my case, that allows select between Vertical or Horizontal Hyperspin versions, turn off the PC, and go directly to Windows Desktop, i designed this images for the HyperSpin Boot Menu, 640x480 for Horizontal and 480x640 for Vertical:

HYPERSPIN BOOT MENU HORIZONTAL NO BUTTONS.jpg

HYPERSPIN BOOT MENU HORIZONTAL with SELECTED BUTTONS.jpg

HYPERSPIN BOOT MENU VERTICAL NO BUTTONS.jpg

HYPERSPIN BOOT MENU VERTICAL with SELECTED BUTTONS.jpg

You can see above 2 images for Horizontal, one with the text no resalted and another with the text resalted in yellow (possible effect when we move through the menu), the same for Vertical images.

-Text Hyperspin Yoko (Horizontal) should go to C:\Hyperspin\Hyperspin.exe
-Text Hyperspin Tate (Vertical) should go to D:\Hyperspin\Hyperspin.exe
-Text System should open Desktop System Windows
-Text Turn Off should turn off the computer (will be great achieve that when i´ll quit the Hyperspin (ESC) the Hyperspin goes directly to boot menu again)
-Should be great make possible that the boot image menu Vertical displays only when the tube will be on Vertical position, and boot image menu Horizontal displays only when the tube will be on Horizontal position.

An example with my monitor placed in Vertical position:

-Turn on Tube and PC
-I dont see Windows meanwhile is still loading (i´m using crt emudriver 2.0= 15Khz card HD 4800 series)
-Then, should be appear the Hyperspin Boot Menu (in Vertical)
-I can select then with the arcade sticker the text options to make a selection, will be great allow add any kind of music background or even a voice that tell TATE or YOKO, but maybe this will be more even complex (not needed)

I know there is software like Neobook to make easy .exe files with image hyperlinks, but the problem on that soft is how make the operation "boot menu vertical when tube is vertical" or "boot menu horizontal when tube is horizontal"

I made some changes in the background, here the new final background:

HYPERSPIN_BOOT_MENU_HORIZONTAL_EFFECTS.jpg

HYPERSPIN_BOOT_MENU_VERTICAL_EFFECTS.jpg

Here i attached the .PSD Files

https://mega.nz/#!RphDHSyY!lYNKE47S6aB5JgBe202iBTsJpNpRaLVLw09cFb65I7w

Attachments

• FINAL.jpg
    FINAL.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

bleasby

RocketLauncher Developer
Developer
Firstly, there are many threads on the web about how to hide windows and open a specific program. You should definitely follow them for achieving that.

I also didn't understood how do you know when you are launching your monitor in vertical or horizontal orientation. Do you have this info in the software side? At any kind of config file? If you don't have this info available already there is no way to figure out if the menu should be launched vertically or horizontally on the screen.

Now about the menu, I adapted a little the code that I had already made for a small frontend that could be of some use to you.

It differs a bit from your mockup, but I think you could adapt the backgrounds and logos to make it look like what you want.

Here is the file:
https://mega.nz/#!iMAQXSRA!bTgJvxgDhRK_kIrwRkDhHLhTURzFbEM5PjKGFddKoTs

Just take a look at it.
The structure should be self explanatory.
1) You have a database\Main.xml file were you should replace the Arcade and Pinball entries with your Hyperspin Yoko and Tate entries.
2) In the Media folder you can replace the logos and backgrounds showed for each of them. Just place for example a background image on the Media\Basic Landscape\Background\Hyperspin Yoko folder to show it when this option is selected.
3) In the Settings files you can control some of the appearance options and define the keys to control the menu. By default, the R key rotates the menu between vertical and horizontal orientation.

Let me know if this is of any use for you and if you have any doubts about it.

Dhampird

Hello, thanks for the help and reply, i´ll try to take a look to the file, anyways, it seems is impossible make the menu boot displays automaticly in vertical or horizontal according monitor position, that´s the problem, do that, but i think is not possible, maybe will be needed an extra device that detects position tube and when that position on the tube be changed some signal should be send to a software that allow auto menu boot change, or for example put a motor in the tube and when tube rotate its position also the menu boots change, i dont know i´m speculating.
Another option could be display the boot menu at one position, for example horizontal, and when i´ll rotate to vertical then the boot menu still be displayed on horizontal, after that i could push for example a button or combination to allow display the vertical menu boot for the tube rotate to vertical, this means always will be needed push a extra button to change between boot menus to adapt the menu to the orientation, is an idea, but this means we have to push always a button to get the correct menu be displayed on the correct tube position.
Regards.

bleasby

RocketLauncher Developer
Developer
If the tube rotation is made by hardware, it would be more or less easy to know which state it is at any time and make the menu appear on the correct orientation.

If the tube rotation is made by hand, you would need either to change the menu orientation by hand (using a key press or a menu option) or , for example, adding a push button that would make contact only when the monitor is either on the horizontal or vertical position, so you could know which orientation is active at each moment. You can search for examples for some rotating monitor arcades that use a push button like that to turn of the motor when the monitor rotates to the desired location.

Sadly I cannot be of much more help without more info about your project.

Another option could be display the boot menu at one position, for example horizontal, and when i´ll rotate to vertical then the boot menu still be displayed on horizontal, after that i could push for example a button or combination to allow display the vertical menu boot for the tube rotate to vertical, this means always will be needed push a extra button to change between boot menus to adapt the menu to the orientation, is an idea, but this means we have to push always a button to get the correct menu be displayed on the correct tube position.
Regards.

This is already possible in the little app that I sent to you.
Just press the R button and the menu will rotate.

Dhampird

Hello, thanks for reply, i´ll take a look the app this days, i thought about a new idea:

Like the boot menu will display in wrong position always, once i´ll move by hand the tube... and after that, should be needed press a button to change the boot menu orientation, to avoid see always the menu in wrong position (thats not very cool), i´m thinking if will be possible first boot, after windows is loaded, a different image design like this:

rotate_menu.jpg

The text should be rotating in a animation follow the arrows direction, then, even if tube is placed in horizontal or vertical now the text rotating like a wheel will be legible always in both positions.
To quit that rotate menu we could press 2 different switches, one TATE switch to let us go to the TATE boot menu, and the other will be the YOKO switch and should let us go to the YOKO boot menu.

I think this is the better way, first the wheel animation and with 2 different switches select one or another boot menu.

Will be possible?