How to run RocketLauncher from a network drive. A quick guide.

Turranius

Supporter
RL Member
Greetings.

There is an excellent guide for this here; https://sites.google.com/site/hyperlaunch2/home/first-steps/troubleshooting-guide/resolve_unc_issues

However, that did not work for me for some reason. I went for a more quick and dirty route. Since this machine is only used for a cabinet, I did not bother. Plus it only affects the "Intranet Sites" zone list anyway...

I have tested my solution on Windows 7 (x64) and Windows 8.1 (x64).

But first,
Symptoms. One of the symptoms is 7z extraction. If you get the following message

Code:
COM Error Notification
Function Name: "findFileInZip"
PROG: mscorlib
DESC: Request for the permission of type 'System.Security.Permissions.FileIOPermission, mscorlib, Version=2.0.0.0,Culture=netutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089' failed.
HELP: ,0

ERROR2: Member not found. (0x80020003)
Will continue?

Or, when you enable error logging higher then "Error" (Debug1, Debug2 and Troubleshooting), you get the following error:
Code:
Function Name "setLogMode"
ERROR: (0x8013150A)
Prog: RocketLauncher
Desc: Request for the permission of type 'System.Security.Permissions.FileIOPermissions, mscorlib, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089' failed.
Help: ,0

ERROR2: Member not found.
(0x80020003)

Will Continue?

Those are the two I've found. Basically, if you are running RocketLauncher from a network share and get a message that includes something like "Permission denied", you'll need to do this.

Please note though, running RocketLauncher from a network share is not supported.

OK, lets get started.

Download ConfigWizard from here: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/archive/2006/01/23/516671.aspx
Direct link: http://cid-27e6a35d1a492af7.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/Blog|_Tools/configwizard.zip

Install it and start it from Control Panel / Administrative Tools / Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 Configuration

• Open up My Computer. Right-click on Runtime Security Policy and select Adjust Security.
  • Make changes to this computer should be checked. Click "Next".
  • Select Local Intranet and move the lever to the top for Full Trust.
  • Click Next, Finish and close the application.

Now we need to add the server that hosts RocketLauncher to your Local Intranet sites list.
  • Start Internet Explorer. Go to Tools / Internet Options
  • In the Securities tab, click Local Intranet.
  • Click Sites and Advanced.
  • Uncheck Require Server Verification (https:) for all sites in this zone
  • Add your server as such: file://servername
    Or you can add the IP address to the server (example IP): file://192.168.101.15
    You can also add your entire network if you want: file://192.168.*.*
  • Click Close, OK, OK and close Internet Explorer.
The errors should now be gone from RocketLauncher =)

Last edited by a moderator:

Turranius

Supporter
RL Member
Good idea. First time for everything =)

Done and added a mirror to the .net config tool.

Last edited by a moderator:

djvj

Administrator
Staff member
Developer
Nice job!

Now we need more wiki contributors and the wiki will become the goto place for all RL :)

Last edited:

Turranius

Supporter
RL Member
Edit: Never mind. Actually read the help section and it explained how to rename it =)

Did the link vanish? The direct link here still works
http://www.rlauncher.com/wiki/index.php?title=Using_HyperLaunch_over_UNC

But clicking on "Using RocketLauncher over UNC" on the Wiki does not.

I guess the Wiki needs to be renamed from "Using HyperLaunch over UNC" to "Using RocketLauncher over UNC" but I can not find where to do that.

Last edited:

djvj

Administrator
Staff member
Developer
Turranius, the wik page was moved, but it works fine from the main page. You should notice if you use the old link with HyperLaunch in the name, it will show a (redirected from...) msg underneath the title.

If there are any forum links you come across linking to the old domain/name, let me know and I will update them.

slizzap

RL Member
Hey guys,

I wrote up the original instructions for Option 1 on that Wiki page you referenced. I was moving my HyperLaunch installation over to RocketLauncher this evening and ran into the same issue with setting the log level to any higher setting ("Troubleshooting" in my case). The message I was getting was:

Function Name: "setLogMode"
ERROR: (0x8013150A)
PROG: RocketLauncher
DESC: Request for the permission of type

'System.Security.Permissions.FileIOPermission, mscorlib, Version=2.0.0.0,
Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089' failed.

HELP: ,0

ERROR2: Member not found.
(0x80020003)

Will Continue?​

I verified my original instructions works for RocketLauncher as well...you just have to use the appropriately named DLL ("RocketLauncher.dll" in this case). The full UNC file path I used for my configuration is:

Code:
file:\\SERVER.home.domain.com\Users$\<UserName>\RocketLauncher\Module%20Extensions\RocketLauncher.dll

It looks like Turranius wrote up the instructions for Option 2, which I'm assuming works for him, but I think that's dependent on how you're mapping your network drives. If you're mapping a drive using the server's NETBIOS name (\\SERVER) or an IP address (192.168.x.x), your instructions should be fine. If you're mapping using FQDN (\\SERVER.home.domain.com) like I am, then you'd need to add that format to your Local Intranet zone as "*.home.domain.com".

Cheers.