I'm stuck on this

joe35car

RL Member
OK I updated to the newest RL and RLUI and I have MAME running no problem and a few other systems. The problem I'm having is systems I'm trying to use with MAME. I have the atari 2600 running but others that have bios like atari 5200, 7800, lynx it just doesn't launch. Since the new MAME now includes the MESS with it I have all my bios in my MAME rom folder. I have all these systems working outside of RLUI in command line MAME. Can someone please tell me what I'm missing? I have attached the RLUI text.

Thanks

Edit: I am using MESS and I have changed the ini file to point to my MAME rom folder where the bios are but still not working. Also I think you guys should add the MAME module to these systems that supported MESS.

Attachments

• RocketLauncher.zip
    20.6 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

dunk3000

RL Member
Are you using the mess module?

Whilst mame and mess have merged into UME, the modules in rl are still separate, so make sure you still use mame module for mame stuff and mess for mess.

Also, it's possible to still compile (or download someone else's compiling of) mess and mame separate. I haven't tried the merged version (too scared, lol) but separately compiled version of mess 0.162 works fine w mess module.

Maybe someone who has merged version can confirm if works fine with mess module...

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

brolly

Administrator
Developer
Will this work from command line:
MESS64.exe a5200 -cart "C:\Users\Joe\Temp\Atari 5200\BerZerk (USA)\BerZerk (USA).a52" -nowindow -nohlsl_enable -nogl_glsl -video d3d -artwork_crop -nouse_bezels -use_overlays -use_backdrops -skip_gameinfo

Because module isn't setting any path to your bios files so should be reading it from your mess.ini file, if you have it properly set there it should work.
You need to run it through CLI and see exactly what error you are getting.

joe35car

RL Member
I compile my own build and am using just the MESS build for this and I can't get it to work. Grrrr I had no problem in the past with the systems that use mess. As of now I am just using the MESS build and my mess ini is pointing to my MAME roms folder where the bios are and also pointing to the software list for the particular system. Still not working.

make -j5 SUBTARGET=arcade PTR64=1 TOOLS=1 STRIP_SYMBOLS=1 : I use this to compile just arcade Mame.
make -j5 SUBTARGET=mess PTR64=1 TOOLS=1 STRIP_SYMBOLS=1 : I use this to compile just MESS
make -j5 PTR64=1 TOOLS=1 STRIP_SYMBOLS=1 : I use this for both build in one aka UME.

joe35car

RL Member
@Brolly

Tells me I'm missing the bios 5200.rom lol. I know this is wrong because I have a full set and these games run fine using my MAME aka (UME build from the command line). berzerk.png

When I try to run MESS from the command line it's telling me it can't find the bios. I have changed the path in the MESS ini to were the bios are but not working. berzerk mess.png

Here is the path in my MESS ini. It is pointing to my MAME roms folder where now all the bios are for both MAME and MESS. rompath E:\Roms\Mame

I tried just launching RL and it doesn't work. RockerLauncher.png

telling me no default emulator found. I have a default emulator set to MESS in the RLUI.

Is there anyway to add a MAME module to these systems along with the MESS module?

Last edited:

brolly

Administrator
Developer
So your problem is in MESS and not related to RL at all, you need to be able to launch your games from command line first otherwise RL won't do you any good. Seems MESS isn't reading the path to the bios files from the ini file, make sure you don't have some system specific ini files on your MESS folder or inside the ini folder. Now that MAME and MESS are merged will MESS still read info from a MESS.ini or will it use MAME.ini? I didn't update yet so this is a question I still don't know the answer for.

You must have something wrong if you have a default emulator error in RL, but without a log file it's anyone's guess. Either way that's totally unrelated to the bios problem. Also you should use RLUI to launch the games, I'm not completely sure if the standalone launcher is working properly anymore I've seen some people posting issues about it around here.

Why do you want a MAME module for MESS systems? The MESS module works just fine, no need to create another module which would basically be a copy of the MESS one and would bring no benefits at all. We will merge both modules eventually, but only at a later point once the MAME/MESS merge has been fully embraced by everyone (and just in case the MAME devs don't step back on this idea and start doing separate builds again...).

But... if you are using the new builds with MAME and MESS merged and you even have all bios inside your MAME folder I don't get why are you trying to run a standalone version of MESS. Why don't you use the new MAME build for everything?

joe35car

RL Member
"So your problem is in MESS and not related to RL at all, you need to be able to launch your games from command line first otherwise RL won't do you any good. Seems MESS isn't reading the path to the bios files from the ini file, make sure you don't have some system specific ini files on your MESS folder or inside the ini folder. Now that MAME and MESS are merged will MESS still read info from a MESS.ini or will it use MAME.ini? I didn't update yet so this is a question I still don't know the answer for."

There is no other MESS ini file in the ini folder. I created a new ini -cc in MESS and it still creates the ini named MESS.

"But... if you are using the new builds with MAME and MESS merged and you even have all bios inside your MAME folder I don't get why are you trying to run a standalone version of MESS. Why don't you use the new MAME build for everything?"

edit: OK I tried what you said and I am just using the MAME build with both MAME/MESS and works. Not sure why my MESS is not working.

Last edited:

brolly

Administrator
Developer
The reason it's not working is because it can't find your bios, now why exactly that happens I'm not sure. But again, I don't a point on using separate MAME/MESS binaries now that they were merged together so just go with the merged executable.

joe35car

RL Member
Yup I'm just using the merged build and works fine. I still don't know why MESS is not reading my bios. I have the path pointing to my MAME roms folder. Oh well no biggie as I will always use the merged build as I think it's the best option. Why have two different emulators while one will do it all. :cool: