LaunchBox Plugin - Memory limit reached

Crylen

RL Member
Heya,

I've recently been getting into LaunchBox and I noticed that once my database file passed around 50mb (I think) I started getting this error in RocketLauncher whenever I launched any ROM.

Untitled.jpg

Sure enough, switching to a previous version of the .xml file that was under ~38mb made the error go away.

Any ideas on how to fix this short of deleting a bunch of games from LaunchBox? Seems like AHK needs more memory assigned to it?

djvj

Administrator
Staff member
Developer
Does anyone else get this when their LB xml is above 50mb?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

brolly

Administrator
Developer
Wouldn't surprise me, because I think AHK loads the whole file into memory when parsing it? And I think 50MB is nothing once you have well over 100 systems like many HS users do the file size should be way larger.

Crylen

RL Member
If it helps I have ~66 systems and 31k games - most of them are just imported Hyperlist sets (except exodos)

agent47

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
RL Member
I just imported a bunch of systems to get my database over 50MB and didn't encounter any errors running a game.

Crylen

RL Member
Hm weird.. Would it be helpful if I upload my DB file somewhere? Reverting back to a smaller DB seems to consistently fix it

agent47

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
RL Member
Did you use it with rlui using the launchbox plug in?

Yup, LaunchBox plugin was set and I ran multiple games from multiple systems from RLUI, LaunchBox, and BigBox.

I did however run into some issues with LB adding roms (nothing to do with RL) and when I went to report it on BitBucket I noticed there was a ticket from someone with the same error as Crylen. Although they could run it fine through RLUI, just not LB and they had 32GB of RAM so it doesn't seem to be a system memory issue. Here's a link to that ticket.

Edit: For reference I'm running 16GB of RAM

Crylen

RL Member
Try adding #MaxMem 256 to the top of the LB plugin file and see if it makes a difference.

Yep, this fixed it!

Just a little more information since I'm catching up to the responses.. Not sure if they're still relevant since adding maxmem fixed the issue but hey!

I've got 16gb of RAM and a pretty decent system (i7, 4790k, 1080 gtx, tons of HD space) so I doubt it's a system thing.

Before the MaxMem addition the error was happening in both RocketLauncherUI, RocketLauncher and LaunchBox. It caused AHK to hang in the taskbar indefinitely until I force closed it by right clicking it.

Lastly, here's my launchbox XML if it helps https://www.dropbox.com/s/dqdgbk13ihc6g1c/LaunchBox.xml?dl=0

brolly

Administrator
Developer
It's not related with the RAM of your system, but with the maximum memory AHK dedicates to store its variables (Default is 64MB). Since that fixes it, we can simply add that line to the LB plugin since we aren't setting this anywhere else. Hopefully 256MB will be enough, we will see if someone will hit that limit eventually :)