Launchbox plugin, not showing all systems.

Turranius

Supporter
RL Member
Greetings.

I've started playing with Launchbox and the new released Launchbox plugin for RocketLauncher.

It all looked good to begin with. I would import a system or two into Launchbox and restart RocketLauncherUI and the new systems would show up. That is, until new systems stopped showing up.

3.JPG

Those are the systems in LaunchBox. The one I marked yellow does not show up in RocketLauncherUI.

1.JPG

That is how it looks in the fully updated RocketLauncher. You see some are missing. At the top you can see that I have the Launchbox plugin loaded and active. I've verified the paths and only have one Launchbox installation so it does not point to the wrong installation or something similar..

I did add the systems in Launchbox in the order they showed up there. So its not like there is a definable moment when it started happening. IE:
  • I added Microsoft MS-DOS, showed up fine.
  • I added NEC PC Engine, did not show up
  • I added NEC PC-FX, did not show up
  • I added NEC TurboGrafx-16, showed up fine.
  • I added the rest of the "Nintendo" systems. None of them showed up.

My LaunchBox XML:
http://grandis.nu/downloads/LaunchBox.zip

And the RocketLauncherUI log:
http://grandis.nu/downloads/RocketLauncherUI.zip

Any ideas?

Last edited:

Turranius

Supporter
RL Member
I've added a few more systems to Launchbox and the old ones are starting to show up. The last 3 added one, marked in yellow, still do not show up and yes, I've restarted RocketLauncher and LaunchBox in between checking.. Something weird is going on.

4.JPG

5.JPG

brolly

Administrator
Developer
Looking at your XML file there's no <Platform> entry for the missing ones, the ones showing up in RLUI are correct as those are the ones inside Platform tags in the XML file. How are the others being shown in LaunchBox?
So sounds like the XML format is even more confusing unfortunately, the plugin reads the systems from any <Platform> tags inside the XML, I don't know where else to look into if they aren't present there, but showing within LaunchBox. If the systems need to be read from elsewhere then we need to know where from.

Now why they started appearing in your latest post I don't know, I'm guessing the Platform tags started being added to XML? Try to debug it a bit further and see when the Platform entries are being created.

Turranius

Supporter
RL Member
Roger that. Silly XML is over 40MB so a bit hard to maneuver.

Seems that if I wait long enough, they appear. Now all of them appear in RockerLauncher but I'll import a few more and see if I can find how they are defined.

Edit: They seem to all be in the <EmulatorPlatform> tag. Even the ones missing from the log in the first post are in there.
I do not yet know if they are in there by default or because I've added the CommandLine to each one to work with RocketLauncher.

This is from the log posted in the first post so I'm not sure why you could not find the <Platform> tag for them...

Code:
<EmulatorPlatform>
    <Emulator>ef784f69-e7a1-4272-94ba-866c940d1f0a</Emulator>
    <Platform>Atari 2600</Platform>
    <CommandLine>-f "I:\Arcade\LaunchBox\LaunchBox.exe" -p RocketLauncherUI -s "Atari 2600" -r</CommandLine>
    <Default>true</Default>
  </EmulatorPlatform>
  <EmulatorPlatform>
    <Platform>Atari 5200</Platform>
    <CommandLine>-f "I:\Arcade\LaunchBox\LaunchBox.exe" -p RocketLauncherUI -s "Atari 5200" -r</CommandLine>
    <Default>true</Default>
  </EmulatorPlatform>
  <EmulatorPlatform>
    <Platform>Atari 7800</Platform>
    <CommandLine>-f "I:\Arcade\LaunchBox\LaunchBox.exe" -p RocketLauncherUI -s "Atari 7800" -r</CommandLine>
    <Default>true</Default>
  </EmulatorPlatform>
  <EmulatorPlatform>
    <Platform>Atari Lynx</Platform>
    <CommandLine>-f "I:\Arcade\LaunchBox\LaunchBox.exe" -p RocketLauncherUI -s "Atari Lynx" -r</CommandLine>
    <Default>true</Default>
  </EmulatorPlatform>
  <EmulatorPlatform>
    <Platform>Bandai WonderSwan</Platform>
    <CommandLine>-f "I:\Arcade\LaunchBox\LaunchBox.exe" -p RocketLauncherUI -s "Bandai WonderSwan" -r</CommandLine>
    <Default>true</Default>
  </EmulatorPlatform>
  <EmulatorPlatform>
    <Platform>Bandai WonderSwan Color</Platform>
    <CommandLine>-f "I:\Arcade\LaunchBox\LaunchBox.exe" -p RocketLauncherUI -s "Bandai WonderSwan Color" -r</CommandLine>
    <Default>true</Default>
  </EmulatorPlatform>
  <EmulatorPlatform>
    <Platform>Colecovision</Platform>
    <CommandLine>-f "I:\Arcade\LaunchBox\LaunchBox.exe" -p RocketLauncherUI -s "Colecovision" -r</CommandLine>
    <Default>true</Default>
  </EmulatorPlatform>
  <EmulatorPlatform>
    <Platform>Commodore 64</Platform>
    <CommandLine>-f "I:\Arcade\LaunchBox\LaunchBox.exe" -p RocketLauncherUI -s "Commodore 64" -r</CommandLine>
    <Default>true</Default>
  </EmulatorPlatform>
  <EmulatorPlatform>
    <Platform>Commodore Amiga</Platform>
    <CommandLine>-f "I:\Arcade\LaunchBox\LaunchBox.exe" -p RocketLauncherUI -s "Commodore Amiga" -r</CommandLine>
    <Default>true</Default>
  </EmulatorPlatform>
  <EmulatorPlatform>
    <Platform>Commodore Amiga Demos</Platform>
    <CommandLine>-f "I:\Arcade\LaunchBox\LaunchBox.exe" -p RocketLauncherUI -s "Commodore Amiga Demos" -r</CommandLine>
    <Default>true</Default>
  </EmulatorPlatform>
  <EmulatorPlatform>
    <Platform>Daphne</Platform>
    <CommandLine>-f "I:\Arcade\LaunchBox\LaunchBox.exe" -p RocketLauncherUI -s "Daphne" -r</CommandLine>
    <Default>true</Default>
  </EmulatorPlatform>
  <EmulatorPlatform>
    <Platform>DCE Vectrex</Platform>
    <CommandLine>-f "I:\Arcade\LaunchBox\LaunchBox.exe" -p RocketLauncherUI -s "DCE Vectrex" -r</CommandLine>
    <Default>true</Default>
  </EmulatorPlatform>
  <EmulatorPlatform>
    <Platform>MAME</Platform>
    <CommandLine>-f "I:\Arcade\LaunchBox\LaunchBox.exe" -p RocketLauncherUI -s "MAME" -r</CommandLine>
    <Default>true</Default>
  </EmulatorPlatform>
  <EmulatorPlatform>
    <Platform>Mattel Intellivision</Platform>
    <CommandLine>-f "I:\Arcade\LaunchBox\LaunchBox.exe" -p RocketLauncherUI -s "Mattel Intellivision" -r</CommandLine>
    <Default>true</Default>
  </EmulatorPlatform>
  <EmulatorPlatform>
    <Platform>Microsoft MS-DOS</Platform>
    <CommandLine>-f "I:\Arcade\LaunchBox\LaunchBox.exe" -p RocketLauncherUI -s "Microsoft MS-DOS" -r</CommandLine>
    <Default>true</Default>
  </EmulatorPlatform>
  <EmulatorPlatform>
    <Platform>NEC PC Engine</Platform>
    <CommandLine>-f "I:\Arcade\LaunchBox\LaunchBox.exe" -p RocketLauncherUI -s "NEC PC Engine" -r</CommandLine>
    <Default>true</Default>
  </EmulatorPlatform>
  <EmulatorPlatform>
    <Platform>NEC PC-FX</Platform>
    <CommandLine>-f "I:\Arcade\LaunchBox\LaunchBox.exe" -p RocketLauncherUI -s "NEC PC-FX" -r</CommandLine>
    <Default>true</Default>
  </EmulatorPlatform>
  <EmulatorPlatform>
    <Platform>NEC TurboGrafx-16</Platform>
    <CommandLine>-f "I:\Arcade\LaunchBox\LaunchBox.exe" -p RocketLauncherUI -s "NEC TurboGrafx-16" -r</CommandLine>
    <Default>true</Default>
  </EmulatorPlatform>
  <EmulatorPlatform>
    <Platform>Nintendo 64</Platform>
    <CommandLine>-f "I:\Arcade\LaunchBox\LaunchBox.exe" -p RocketLauncherUI -s "Nintendo 64" -r</CommandLine>
    <Default>true</Default>
  </EmulatorPlatform>
  <EmulatorPlatform>
    <Platform>Nintendo DS</Platform>
    <CommandLine>-f "I:\Arcade\LaunchBox\LaunchBox.exe" -p RocketLauncherUI -s "Nintendo DS" -r</CommandLine>
    <Default>true</Default>
  </EmulatorPlatform>
  <EmulatorPlatform>
    <Platform>Nintendo Entertainment System</Platform>
    <CommandLine>-f "I:\Arcade\LaunchBox\LaunchBox.exe" -p RocketLauncherUI -s "Nintendo Entertainment System" -r</CommandLine>
    <Default>true</Default>
  </EmulatorPlatform>
  <EmulatorPlatform>
    <Platform>Nintendo Game Boy</Platform>
    <CommandLine>-f "I:\Arcade\LaunchBox\LaunchBox.exe" -p RocketLauncherUI -s "Nintendo Game Boy" -r</CommandLine>
    <Default>true</Default>
  </EmulatorPlatform>
  <EmulatorPlatform>
    <Platform>Nintendo Game Boy Advance</Platform>
    <CommandLine>-f "I:\Arcade\LaunchBox\LaunchBox.exe" -p RocketLauncherUI -s "Nintendo Game Boy Advance" -r</CommandLine>
    <Default>true</Default>
  </EmulatorPlatform>

Edit: Ok, those are just the "Associated Platforms" from Tools / Manage Emulators / RocketLauncher / Edit / Associated Platforms. Probably not the best way to get the systems. I'll keep digging.

Edit2: You are right. There is no specific <Platform> for those missing, although they do pop up after a while. No idea why they are missing when you add the system or when they appear.
Each game in that platform has a correct <Platform> tag though. Not much use since we don't want to go through each game.

As I wrote first, there is an <EmulatorPlatform>/<Platform> though. Seeing that we have to add an Associated Platform to get it run with RocketLauncher (Command line: -f "I:\Arcade\LaunchBox\LaunchBox.exe" -p RocketLauncherUI -s "SystemNameInRL" -r), that might be an alternative. Probably better to have Jason explain why there is no <Platform> tag on system creation though..

Last edited:

brolly

Administrator
Developer
Roger that. Silly XML is over 40MB so a bit hard to maneuver.
Yep, using a single XML for everything is a really bad idea for several different reasons and size is one of them. You only have a handful of systems added and the XML size is already getting pretty large, the concept behind LB I think is that's the XML isn't supposed to be edited by the users so they shouldn't really care how the data is stored, this will be fine for casual gamers, but for any hardcore emulator enthusiasts this just won't cut it.

Seems that if I wait long enough, they appear. Now all of them appear in RockerLauncher but I'll import a few more and see if I can find how they are defined.
Yeah well that kind of magic doesn't really cut it lol we need to have a deterministic way of reading those.

Edit: They seem to all be in the <EmulatorPlatform> tag. Even the ones missing from the log in the first post are in there.
This goes against the info we got from Jason, systems should be read from the Platform tag so I won't be making any changes to the plugin until we know the exact way to read the system list properly. I wonder if there are similar issues with the Games lists now.

Turranius

Supporter
RL Member
Gotcha. I wrote and asked Jason in the Hyperspin forums thread but now the Hyperspin SQL seems to have crashed so... heh

Guess we'll wait and see. It still works. Just not sure how and when it will start working =)
I just added Sega Genesis and Sega Model 2 and they still do not have a <Platform> tag in the XML. Everything else seems to be there (games with the correct <Platform> etc seems to all be there. Not that many Sega Model 2 games so I could find and verify them all).

Edit: I was missing Sega Master System, Sega Model 2 and Sega Model 3.
I went into the paths for MAME to check something and pressed OK on it. Notepad++ then informed me that LaunchBox.xml was updated and asked if I wanted to reload it. I said yes and the 3 missing <Platforms> popped up.

Last edited:

djvj

Administrator
Staff member
Developer
Seems kind of silly to talk about LB and RL on the HS forum. Should stick with using his forum or have him come here to chime in.

jasoncarr

RL Member
Hey guys, I can look into the issue of the platform tags not showing up. The Platform tags are indeed the correct tags to use. I think what might be happening is I'm just not saving the XML after auto-populating the platforms; I auto-populate them on startup or when they're created but I'm guessing they're not always getting saved. I'll see if I can fix that for the next beta.

Turranius

Supporter
RL Member
Would be appreciated =) Whats weird is that the <platform> tags does not even show up in the XML when I shut Launchbox down and start it again. It seems I have to modify something to trigger a write to the XML. All the games and other info is written just fine after an import, its just that tag. Either that or I am confused =)

But yeah, a save when the import is finished would probably do it. Thanks!

jasoncarr

RL Member
Quick question, Turranius; what version of LaunchBox are you running? Are you running the latest beta or the official 6.2 release?

jasoncarr

RL Member
Okay, thanks. I'm curious if you're still seeing the same thing with the latest beta release. I did fix some related things; would you mind testing the latest beta?

Knewlife

RL Member
I hace the lastes beta. Gonna add a new platform tonight if I can and see if it behaves like it should
Sent from my Nokia Lumia 520 using Tapatalk

brolly

Administrator
Developer
Thanks Jason, so it seems to be a bug in the LB end after all, that's good news as it means I won't have to modify the plugin :)

Speaking of which seems you added support for platform videos on the latest beta, is there a defined path for those yet? If so, we can update the plugins accordingly even if they are still not supported in the current version.

jasoncarr

RL Member
Thanks much knewlife.

Absolutely, brolly; it's definitely on my end. The Platform tags are the right tags to use. The platform videos are like this:

LaunchBox\Videos\Platforms\Nintendo Entertainment System.mp4

Currently you can't customize those paths, so they're static. The file extension can be anything though of course. Thanks! :)

Knewlife

RL Member
Thanks Jason, so it seems to be a bug in the LB end after all, that's good news as it means I won't have to modify the plugin :)

Speaking of which seems you added support for platform videos on the latest beta, is there a defined path for those yet? If so, we can update the plugins accordingly even if they are still not supported in the current version.

Sorry to bother you brolly but there is other problem with the RLUI plugin, the audit games button on RLUI works fine the first time, but if you change the system and scan again... the games of the first platform shows up, and the new ones are not displayed, I see this in other thread also. This is probably releated with all games being in the same file right? (don't kill the messenger :/ )

jasoncarr: Importing roms for a new platform in lastest beta now... my internet sucks so it can take a wile.

EDIT: Open RLUI before the import process ends, activate the Launchbox FrontEnd, and the new platform shows up in the list just fine.

Last edited:

brolly

Administrator
Developer
Absolutely, brolly; it's definitely on my end. The Platform tags are the right tags to use. The platform videos are like this:
LaunchBox\Videos\Platforms\Nintendo Entertainment System.mp4
Cool, we will get those added thanks.

Sorry to bother you brolly but there is other problem with the RLUI plugin, the audit games button on RLUI works fine the first time, but if you change the system and scan again... the games of the first platform shows up, and the new ones are not displayed, I see this in other thread also. This is probably releated with all games being in the same file right? (don't kill the messenger :/ )
I'm aware of that issue and already fixed it, we need to fix the other relative path problem in the RL plugin and then will make it live.

Turranius

Supporter
RL Member
Okay, thanks. I'm curious if you're still seeing the same thing with the latest beta release. I did fix some related things; would you mind testing the latest beta?

To be honest, I have no idea where to get the betas... Either I'm blind or its a hidden link somewhere.

Edit: Found it in the options =)