MAME game rotation

jeremy0203

Supporter
RL Member
Is there someone extra I need to use the verticalrotationmode with MAME? If I set it to one of the two 90 degree options that works, however setting it to match original game it does nothing. Is there an ini or something needed so RL knows what the orientation of each game is?

brolly

Administrator
Developer
That's up to MAME to know not RL, RL will only send the command line to use the original rotation. Just make sure the proper switch is being sent.

jeremy0203

Supporter
RL Member
Hmmm well doesn't work then. Not when setting the system to original or any games I know are vertical. Log shows it sending -rotate.

jeremy0203

Supporter
RL Member
well kind of got it working. I set rotate in mame.ini to 0 which for some reason is now rotating vertical games. Setting it in RLUI to Original now keeps them all horizontal lol. So it is backwards but works.

jeremy0203

Supporter
RL Member
Definitely is. If I go into the module and change the part where original is sent and change it to send -ror or -rol then it will rotate when set to original(not just an auto to whatever the game was at). Not sure if it is a MAME setting off or something with the module.
Looking at the module it creates some listxml from the executable and uses info from that to determine if it should be rotated or not based off some sort of angle value?

brolly

Administrator
Developer
That's just for detecting if a game is vertical or not.
You should start by posting a log then it will be easy to see if the problem is on MAME or RL, but if rotate left/right are working I don't see why the rotate command wouldn't be sent as well since they are all in the same code section.

Umm looking at it I see the current MAME docs are a bit confusing so -rotate might actually work the other way around. This contradicts the info here though: http://easyemu.mameworld.info/mameguide/options/31.html

Try editing the module and replace:
verticalRotationMode := " -rotate"
with:
verticalRotationMode := " -norotate"

and see if it works properly that way.

jeremy0203

Supporter
RL Member
Ok, got it working properly. In mame.ini the value for rotate has to be 1 and indeed verticalRotationMode has to be set to -norotate. With it like that it works correctly, I tried all other combinations for both the mame.ini and rotate/norotate and each of them does not work 100% correct.

brolly

Administrator
Developer
Seems it does work contrary to what is advertised in the above log then, simple fix in the module though.
I don't see why you'd need to set rotate in mame.ini to 1 since that setting will be overridden with the one sent by command line.

jeremy0203

Supporter
RL Member
Ok so bringing this back up as I decided to give some mame games a go and use some bezels. I have new mame.ini so not changing that around like I was before.

Here is the issue and I can't seem to get it resolved.

-RLUI MAME global and MAME system module settings rotation set to default. Dkong launches in vertical orientation.
-RLUI MAME global switched to rotate screen to match games org orientation and MAME system setting left at default. Dkong launches horizontal turned CCW 90 degrees.
-Both global and system options set to rotate to match games org orientation and again it launches horizontal turned CCW 90 degrees.

-This doesn't make sense as with either of them set to rotate to match games org orientation you would assume it would be vertical???

So you say, no problem. Just leave it at default and let it launch vertical. Great for Dkong but go and launch Mr Do set to default and it is now horizontal. Change the option to match games original orientation and hey look at that, the game launches vertically.

This is the line from running Mr Do and Dkong with both settings set to match orig game orientation. It sends the command -norotate for both which from my searching should actually be -rotate which is the option to have it match the original orientation. But then why does one launch vertical and the other doesn't?

"22:03:29:339 | MD | INFO | +0 | Run - Running: D:\Emulators\MAME\"MAME .168 x64 NoNag+HiScore+DirectInput.exe" dkong -rompath "D:\Games\Mame\roms;D:\Emulators\MAME\roms" -window -nohlsl_enable -nogl_glsl -inipath "D:\Emulators\MAME\ini" -norotate -video d3d -artwork_crop -nouse_bezels -use_overlays -use_backdrops -nouse_cpanels -nouse_marquees -nofilter -skip_gameinfo"

"22:04:14:130 | MD | INFO | +0 | Run - Running: D:\Emulators\MAME\"MAME .168 x64 NoNag+HiScore+DirectInput.exe" mrdo -rompath "D:\Games\Mame\roms;D:\Emulators\MAME\roms" -window -nohlsl_enable -nogl_glsl -inipath "D:\Emulators\MAME\ini" -norotate -video d3d -artwork_crop -nouse_bezels -use_overlays -use_backdrops -nouse_cpanels -nouse_marquees -nofilter -skip_gameinfo"

There is either something I am not understanding or something is off/incorrect somewhere.

jeremy0203

Supporter
RL Member
Well, no idea what in the world is up with that and where it is broken. But I found a work around. Just set it to Default which didn't send -norotate and I added the parameter -rotate under the settings so now MAME is getting what it should.

brolly

Administrator
Developer
It sends the command -norotate for both which from my searching should actually be -rotate which is the option to have it match the original orientation.

Ok, got it working properly. In mame.ini the value for rotate has to be 1 and indeed verticalRotationMode has to be set to -norotate. With it like that it works correctly, I tried all other combinations for both the mame.ini and rotate/norotate and each of them does not work 100% correct.

We always had it sending -rotate and it was you who told us it should be sending -norotate, read the previous posts on this thread.

But I think this is actually correct, -norotate will keep the game running using the original orientation which will be 90º for dkong and 270º for mrdo.
Are you running them on a vertical monitor? Because this setting is only for when running on such monitors otherwise just leave it as default.

jeremy0203

Supporter
RL Member
Yeah let's just forget my post. Emulating late into the night is not so good for train of thought