MAME suddenly has no sound?

vicviper99

RL Member
Hey Guys,

I'm working on a new cabinet build and getting Hyperspin/Hyperlaunch set up with MAME. Things were going smoothly until I was messing around with Hyperpause, and suddenly I had no audio in MAME anymore. Just silence. I went around and around trying to figure out some way to fix it, checked the .ini file but everything looked normal......eventually I tried renaming mame.exe to mame1.exe, and bam, I got my audio back. While this does work and basically solved my problem, I am a little frustrated / worried about the issue and would like to solve it so I can use the regular file name. I had to switch all pointers in Hyperspin and HyperLaunch to the renamed exe file to make everything work again.

Does anyone have any idea what might cause mame.exe to not produce sound unless it gets renamed to something else?

laprocket

RL Member
Hey Guys,

I'm working on a new cabinet build and getting Hyperspin/Hyperlaunch set up with MAME. Things were going smoothly until I was messing around with Hyperpause, and suddenly I had no audio in MAME anymore. Just silence. I went around and around trying to figure out some way to fix it, checked the .ini file but everything looked normal......eventually I tried renaming mame.exe to mame1.exe, and bam, I got my audio back. While this does work and basically solved my problem, I am a little frustrated / worried about the issue and would like to solve it so I can use the regular file name. I had to switch all pointers in Hyperspin and HyperLaunch to the renamed exe file to make everything work again.

Does anyone have any idea what might cause mame.exe to not produce sound unless it gets renamed to something else?

open mame, run a game, atl-tab out of the game, click the sound button at the bottom right of your windows screen, click the mixer button, and you will most likely see that mame has been muted. unmute it and you should be good to go.

vicviper99

RL Member
:) Wow, thanks so much for that, laprocket. That was exactly the problem. Would never have guessed to check the windows mixer for a mame fader. Thanks again for the quick answer!!

bundangdon

I'm having the same issue. However, I tried laprocket's suggestion and it doesn't seem to fix the problem. Everytime I start a game in mame with RocketLauncer, the volume suddenly drops to zero. When I replace RocketLauncher with an older version of HyperLaunch, I don't have this issue. Any ideas?

bleasby

RocketLauncher Developer
Developer
Could you post a troubleshooting log so I could take a look if I have any ideas?

bleasby

RocketLauncher Developer
Developer
You could try also to set the option "Mute emulator on fade" to false to see if it is causing any issues. You can find it on RLUI > Settings > Fade - General > General Options

bundangdon

You could try also to set the option "Mute emulator on fade" to false to see if it is causing any issues. You can find it on RLUI > Settings > Fade - General > General Options

Yep, that solved the problem. It's funny how that only seems to happen with mame. It's set to "True" in the global settings and I've had no sound issues with other emulators. Nevertheless, thank you very much for your help!

bleasby

RocketLauncher Developer
Developer
Nice that it works.

I must investigate deeper to see why this happens.
Could you please post a troubleshooting log, with this option enabled on MAME, so I could have a little more info to work on that?

I-know-nothin!

I appreciate this is an old post, but can anyone help.

I have hyperspin , rocket launcher on PC, inside an arcade machine. not sure what happened, think its linked to the pause button, but the sound doesnt work on MAME games only. I have checked the mute emulator on fade and its set to false, I am at a loss what else to check, I tried to see if the sound was on when a mame game was selected only to find that the cursor disapeared off the screen so I couldnt see if the mixer was muted or not.

Help would be appreciated, however my knowledge of anything PC like is limited???? Sorry

bleasby

RocketLauncher Developer
Developer
just launch the mame executable outside of RocketLauncher and check if the volume is mutted for the mame application in the windows mixer.

bydavidrosen

whoever said to check the separate volume control specifically for mame is a genius. my setup has been messed up for months. tried EVERYTHING but that haha. it worked!

IceLancer

RL Member
@bleasby
This fade "disable emulator on fade" is still causing trouble. It is lowering volume system wide and doesnt bring it back when game starts.
Just tested on NES /Reatroarch if it weren't for google and this topic i dont know if i could find cause

Windows sound is not restored even when game is closed , doesnt restore on RL closed either, system stays totally silenced ,volume =0
I have to manually volume up (my kb) doesnt have multimedia commands.

Anyway it seems that RL is confused because i have more then one sound card on my PC, even tho only one is set as windows default.

Sound 1 Device: AMD High Definition Audio Device
Sound 1 Status: Enabled
Sound 2 Device: Realtek High Definition Audio
Sound 2 Status: Enabled
Sound 3 Device: High Definition Audio Device
Sound 3 Status: Enabled
Sound 4 Device: ASUS Xonar DG Audio Device
Sound 4 Status: Enabled
Xonar Asus is default card.
RL version 1.2.0.1

RL reports only this as warning, no errors
Code:
ToggleMenu - Timed out trying to restore MenuBar for 0x1109c2

Attachments

• RocketLauncher.zip
    23.4 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

vlad_nada

open mame, run a game, atl-tab out of the game, click the sound button at the bottom right of your windows screen, click the mixer button, and you will most likely see that mame has been muted. unmute it and you should be good to go.
Thank you. I just had this issue and this was the fix.