multiple subfolder errors

32assassin

RL Member
I'm I really going to be the first one to try this.

1. off the start, RL will not recognize the default install of Pinball FX2
it does not appear as an unknown system its just missing.

I don't know if this could be the problem but PinballX default name for Pinball FX2 is
[PinballFX2]

I had to disable the default system and add it as a custom system.
Code:
[System_1]
Name=Pinball FX2
Enabled=True
WorkingPath=C:\RocketLauncher
TablePath=
Executable=RocketLauncher.exe
Parameters=-s "Pinball FX2" -r "[TABLEFILE]" -f "C:\PinballX\PinballX.exe" -p PinballX
SystemType=0

2. Setting up RL was the easy part everything works as it should

the biggest problem.
PinballX only looks for tables in the folder defined in Pinball X not the folders defined by RL.

PinballX Visual Pinball settings
Code:
[VisualPinball]
Enabled=True
WorkingPath=C:\RocketLauncher
[B]TablePath=[/B]C:\Tables
Executable=RocketLauncher.exe
Parameters=-s "Visual Pinball" -r "[TABLEPATH]\[TABLEFILE]" -f "C:\PinballX\PinballX.exe" -p PinballX
LaunchBeforeEnabled=false
LaunchBeforeWorkingPath=
LaunchBeforeExecutable=
LaunchBeforeHideWindow=False
LaunchBeforeWaitForExit=True
LaunchAfterEnabled=False
LaunchAfterWorkingPath=
LaunchAfterExecutable=
LaunchAfterHideWindow=False
LaunchAfterWaitForExit=True
Bypass=False

I don't want to mix all my VP 9.2.1, VP9.9 and VPX tables in one folder.

this needs to be updated.
Parameters=-s "Visual Pinball" -r "[TABLEPATH]\[TABLEFILE]" -f "C:\PinballX\PinballX.exe" -p PinballX

let pinballX look for tables in the folders defined by RL; not the single path defined by PinballX.

djvj

Administrator
Staff member
Developer
I think bleasby was the one playing with this FE, maybe he knows more on it. But standard rules apply with any FE. System names MUST match RL system names. So one of them will have to be renamed unless either side has some sort of system mapping going on.

What part of the CLI was wrong and where did you get the original that it had to be updated?

32assassin

RL Member
I'm not fully convinced that the problem is just with the name
default names for FP, VP don't match the RL scheme and they register.
[FuturePinball]
[VisualPinball]

the problem with the CL is that it points to the folder location defined in PinballX not RL

the original CL came with the default installation and was updated based on this instructions
http://www.rlauncher.com/wiki/index.php?title=PinballX

this is the default
Code:
[VisualPinball]
Enabled=True
WorkingPath=C:\Emulators\Visual Pinball\VP
TablePath=J:\Emulators\Pinball\Visual Pinball\Visual Pinball [FullScreen]\VP 9.x Cabinet Tables (FULL SCREEN)(direct2bs)
Executable=VPinball921.exe
Parameters=/play -"[TABLEPATH]\[TABLEFILE]"
LaunchBeforeEnabled=false
LaunchBeforeWorkingPath=
LaunchBeforeExecutable=notepad.exe
LaunchBeforeHideWindow=False
LaunchBeforeWaitForExit=True
LaunchAfterEnabled=False
LaunchAfterWorkingPath=
LaunchAfterExecutable=notepad.exe
LaunchAfterHideWindow=False
LaunchAfterWaitForExit=True

bleasby

RocketLauncher Developer
Developer
1. off the start, RL will not recognize the default install of Pinball FX2
it does not appear as an unknown system its just missing.

I don't know if this could be the problem but PinballX default name for Pinball FX2 is
[PinballFX2]

I had to disable the default system and add it as a custom system.

If by this you mean that Pinball FX2 is not showing on RLUI when you use the default [PinballFX2] section on pinball X, this is a bug on the RLUI plugin.
Brolly, could you check that?
Pinball FX2 should work exactly as Visual Pinball and Future Pinball works on the RLUI plugin.
The system should be included if a ini section name PinballFX2 is found.

PinballX only looks for tables in the folder defined in Pinball X not the folders defined by RL.

I don't want to mix all my VP 9.2.1, VP9.9 and VPX tables in one folder.
this needs to be updated.

Did you read carefully the wiki?
I clearly state:

Code:
For Future Pinball and Visual Pinball, Pinball X will only launch the table if it founds a matching file on your tables folder. Therefore you need to set the path for your tables folder or use dummy files to bypass this limitation.

You should ask the Pinball X developers to add an option to avoid the table file check if you want to surpass that limitation. RocketLauncher cannot do anything about that.

Edit: I believe that in newer versions Pinball X added subfolder scan support, so it should work if you place your tables inside a main folder, as both PinballX and rocketlauncher would be capable of looking in rom path subfolders.
I don't have the time, neither the setup at hand to test that soon. But you could try.

Last edited:

32assassin

RL Member
the problem is not with rocketlauncher
everything works in RL all the tables are found in their respective folders and launched with their proper VP exe.
and Yes even VP 10 works with the current module.

C:\Tables\Visual Pinball\VP 9.9.1 (FULL SCREEN) (direct2bs)/Asteroid Annie and the Aliens (Gottlieb 1980)
C:\Tables\Visual Pinball\VP 9.9.1 (FULL SCREEN) (Physics MOD 5) (direct2bs)/24 (Stern 2009)
C:\Tables\Visual Pinball\VP X (FULL SCREEN) (direct2bs)/Terminator 2 - Judgement Day (Williams 1991)

I cannot/don't want to combine this folders in to one and add the tables in to their own sub folders.

can you please expand on the dummy files/

I created a dummy files folder
C:\Tables\Visual Pinball\_Dummy Files
this is the table path added to PinballX
I added text documents with correct table names and changed the extension from txt to VPT and VPX

but again PinballX only looks and loads the tables specified by Pinballx
C:\Tables\Visual Pinball\_Dummy Files

you can see at the end of my video that I get an error because Pinball X tries to load the dummy file.

I guess PinballX is only compatible with Rocketlauncher if you have all your tables in one folder.
I just don't see that happening.

PinballX either needs to get an update to remove the table checks or add support for multiple folders.

bleasby

RocketLauncher Developer
Developer
Yah, the dummy file workaround probably will not work for both RocketLauncher and Pinball X them.

Maybe you could surpass that if you use a custom system instead of the built-in visualpinball support for Pinball X. Did you tried that?

Also, did you tried to use C:\Tables\Visual Pinball as your table folder? Maybe Pinball X only searches for dirtect subfolders for the table.
Maybe it would work if your tables are in something like this: C:\Tables\Visual Pinball\VP X (FULL SCREEN) (direct2bs)/Terminator 2 - Judgement Day (Williams 1991).vpx

Anyway, the best way to solve these issues and any other future issues with Pinball X is to ask the Pinball X developers to add support for:

1) Do not search for the table existence or if it searches, search for more subfolders deep within the tables path.
2) Add support for multiple table folders.
3) Add support for a PinballX variable with the table name but without the file extension, something like [TABLEFILEWITHOUTEXTENSION]. I don't know why they include the file extension on the [TABLEFILE] variable anyway, but if they had this new variable we would be able to surpass some other issues on the RocketLauncher side of things also.

jeremy0203

Supporter
RL Member
I have been using RL with pinballx for many months. Have VP, fp, fx2 and pinball arcade all working from it.

32assassin

RL Member
one of the main reasons, I wanted to use RL instead of the default PinballX Loader is that I did not wan to add custom systems.

When you add custom VP installations you have to split your XMLs

at the moment I have 4 different installations of Visual Pinball all set to run with different exe versions.

Visual Pinball = set to load all VP 9.2.1 exe tables

Visual Pinball 9.9.1 = set to load all VP 9.9.1 exe tables

Visual Pinball Physics 5 - set to load all VP Physics 5 exe tables.

Visual Pinball X = set to load all Vp 10 exe tables.

that is four XMLs and 4 media folders I need to manage. Using RL I could just have one VP install and one XML and I would only need manage an ALT emulator ini.

I have been using RL with pinballx for many months. Have VP, fp, fx2 and pinball arcade all working from it.

Can you post your pinballX command line.

I added my folder paths directly to PinballX to see if it would work.

to no ones surprise, I got allot of errors.

the current set up, will work only if
- you have all your tables in the same folder.
- they all run on one the same default emulator

if you set up VP 9 as your default emulator and try to run a VP10 table (even if you set up an ALT emulator in RL). PinballX will try to play your VP 10 table with your default VP 9 emulator
Future Pinball works since all the tables run on one exe. But again you have to merge all your table folders.

I'm pretty much giving up on this, but can you guys look into the Pinball FX2 plugin error.
I would like to use RL to run Pinball FX2. I like to take advantage of the Command line loading.
But as you can see from my video, the default installation is missing from RL.

Last edited:

brolly

Administrator
Developer
I don't use PinballX, but reading through this I think your 2 problems are:

1) RLUI (not RL) not detecting Pinball FX2 as a system. I followed bleasby's instructions for the plugin and this means the only system names RLUI will recognize are FuturePinball and VisualPinball everything else needs to be added as custom systems. So I'm guessing this changed meanwhile? If that's the case I'll need to know the default system names for any other systems, so for Pinball FX2 is PinballFX2, what about Pinball Arcade does it also have one? If so let me know and I'll send you an updated plugin file for you to test.

2) Rom paths. RL will support multiple paths without any problem, but I don't think PinballX supports them right? If it does then you just need to set it up so you are using the exact same paths on both PinballX and RL. But by the sound of it looks like you can't do that and to make things worse PinballX is always verifying if it can find the tables on launch. This isn't related to RL at all and there's nothing we can do about it as it needs to be fixed on the PinballX end. Easiest way would be to have a setting there where PinballX won't check if the table exists on launch and leave that up to RL as bleasby mentioned.
Ask tom about it as he will probably add support for it, it's a pretty simple thing to do.

32assassin

RL Member
their is no default system for Pinball Arcade

not sure what happened but the default PinballFX2 is now being detected.
the only problem now is that its loosing focus, when launched through PinballX

their might of been a setting I was missing but their is no problem with the Plugin or RLUI

@ jeremy
this is the Command line in PinballX for Visual Pinball
-s "Visual Pinball" -r "[TABLEPATH]\[TABLEFILE]" -f "C:\PinballX\PinballX.exe" -p PinballX

[TABLEPATH] = path you add in PinballX
this is the only path PinballX is going to use regardless of what you have in RL.

the only way I see this working is if you start adding custom systems for each table folder you have.

jeremy0203

Supporter
RL Member
Ok I see what you are saying. i only have one version setup.

I don't see any other way but to add multiple VP systems to pinballx

Last edited: