Plugin for EmulationStation

hundergrn07

RL Member
Not sure if this is the right spot for this but has anyone been working on a EmulationStation plugin for Rocket Launcher?

I've tried messing around with the RocketLauncher Plugin since the Databases seem to run in a similar, yet different, fashion to no avail. Honestly I am a complete newb at scripting and pulling, or programming in general and have only gotten as far as an error telling me that its not pulling the systemName from the command line. Without any actual knowledge on how this works, I am hoping someone in the forums has been working this out.

Thanks.

djvj

Administrator
Staff member
Developer
Nope, have not looked at it at all. Just no interest TBH. With the next RL update, I default to RLUI plugin when you supply a plugin via CLI and it doesn't exist. So that should help you get it going with this FE at least.

hundergrn07

RL Member
Getting started with ES and RL has been easy for the most part, especially with the figuring out that -f CLI defaults to RocketLauncher through CMD line. I was just hopeful for a more unified setup, that's all. I can live with doubling up of Databases and possible media folders. A few people over at the ES forums have been picking up RL as their middle man with mixed results, the next update will be a joy to their head indented desks.

Thank you for the quick reply.

brolly

Administrator
Developer
I just gave this a try and found some issues:

1) RL is now requiring a database file to be present due to the plugins, perhaps would be a good idea to create some default plugin where a database isn't being read. This means there will be no way to configure per game settings on RLUI, but at least you will be able to launch the games through RL. Something to consider djvj.

2) Next problem is that if RL errors out then it stays hanged forever and I have to manually close it in order to get back to EmulationStation. Same thing whenever you exit a game. This happens here:
Log("ExitScript - " . currentActiveTitle . " is currently active. Putting focus back on " . frontendExe,4)
Loop

What happens is that RL can't seem to be able to activate emulationstation.exe (maybe because the window is hidden) and it will be stuck on this loop forever. We need a timeout here djvj, emulationstation will bring itself to focus after RL executable is closed.

3) Transition from ES to RL isn't clean at all, you'll end up seeing your desktop. ES is the culprit here because it launches RL in a console and immediately hides itself, so you'll see the desktop for a couple of seconds before Fade kicks in. Very ugly.

4) Finally and this is more related to the plugin request, as far as I could see ES doesn't have any database files at all it builds its database dynamically from the rom path + rom extensions every single time. This will make listing games for any system pretty slow in RLUI since basically you'll be auditing the system every single time, not a big deal for small ones, but for larger ones this will have some performance hit. If I'm missing something and ES keeps any database files please let me know where.

Last edited:

djvj

Administrator
Staff member
Developer
1) brolly, this is part of the changelog for the next version already:
- Now if a frontend or plugin sent over CLI was not found, defaults to RLUI plugin and exe. Note: RLUI must exist in .\RocketLauncherUI\RocketLauncherUI.exe relative to RocketLauncher.exe's location.

2) That loop now breaks after 5 seconds. Try the version on dev.

brolly

Administrator
Developer
1) That doesn't really solve the problem djvj, I'm using the RLUI plugin, but unless you have the XML databases on the emulator's folder RL will error out. This is a problem for other frontend users because we are forcing them to be aware of HyperSpin database formats. I was suggesting creating a barebone default plugin that uses no databases at all.

2) Could you please compile it for me? I forgot to move my AHK folder from my old machine and it doesn't compile with this one...

djvj

Administrator
Staff member
Developer
1) I'll look more into this then.

2) it's already on dev git

djvj

Administrator
Staff member
Developer
brolly, check on dev git, I made the changes. Will now use the Default.plugin if none found.

brolly

Administrator
Developer
Could you change the name for something else? Because Default is already in use by RLUI, if you set it to Default RLUI will try to find the plugin to use based on the currently loaded frontend.
I can also change this in RLUI to something else, but will give me a bit of work.

johnodon

RL Member
Hey guys...sorry to dig up a semi-old thread. Just wondering if this has seen any more progress?

Thanks!

John

bleasby

RocketLauncher Developer
Developer
I believe that this is part of the next release.
If so, the commented changes are already done and will be released as soon as we are able to finish the final touches of this release.
It shouldn't take long.

johnodon

RL Member
I believe that this is part of the next release.
If so, the commented changes are already done and will be released as soon as we are able to finish the final touches of this release.
It shouldn't take long.

Awesome! I look forward to the release.

ES is still my fav frontend. I just hope development hasn't died. Their forum has been taken over by spam.

John