Pre-sorted media, or tool?

snarfies

RL Member
I am updating my MAME cabinet, and transitioning from Hyperlaunch to Rocketlaunch.

It looks like I need to arrange my media in subdirectories for each and every rom, which is pretty annoying. Are there any pre-sorted packs out there, or is there a tool to make this easier? Like, I have 2300 manual files here!

Ninja2bseen

RL Member
Search * In front of the extension name like *bin in the search in the top right part of the window to skip all the folders to get all the files then you could drag them somewhere? I don't recall having to do this though

aza9999

RL Member
I'm having the same issue with controller pictures, they're all sitting in a single directory with each picture named after the rom but the wiki says they have to be in individual directories. I just tested by putting one into its own directory named after the rom and it worked but there has to be an easier way than individually creating directories and copying the files into them.

agent47

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
RL Member
I'm having the same issue with controller pictures, they're all sitting in a single directory with each picture named after the rom but the wiki says they have to be in individual directories. I just tested by putting one into its own directory named after the rom and it worked but there has to be an easier way than individually creating directories and copying the files into them.

Are all of the files already correctly named to match the rom? If so, you could use a simple batch script to create the folders from the images and move them into those created folders.

djvj

Administrator
Staff member
Developer
With a couple compress and extract to folder tries with winrar you can partially automate the process.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

snarfies

RL Member
Found a program called "FileToFolder" that seems to do the job. I'd strongly prefer a FOSS solution, but its a start.

aza9999

RL Member
files2folder looks like it does the job, thanks!

I thought about using a script but was hoping there was something already out there that could do it. There were a few premade VB and python scripts i found but i'm always wary about running those from random places on the net.

snarfies

RL Member
Got a source on those VB and/or Python scripts? I'd MUCH rather run them then a closed-source program than file2folder.

aza9999

RL Member
Not sure about the rules to linking external sites here but i just googled files to folders script and a few came up

djvj

Administrator
Staff member
Developer
It's fine to link as long as the sites don't contain spam.

beano38

Not sure if you still need a utility to do this or not. I just uploaded my python (3.5) script to github. You can get it here - https://github.com/beano38/Arcade-Scripts/blob/master/arcade_functions.py

Modify the path lines at the beginning to your paths and modify the system line (line 1173) in the python file to whatever system you want to move. Example here is AAE

This will move the emumovies downloaded content from the download directory to the various directories in RocketLauncher's media directories. It will also rename them to relevant names. Note that as an example emumovies names the NES download folder to "Nintendo_NES", rename that to the HyperSpin/RocketLauncher system name of "Nintendo Entertainment System" and this should work.

Hope this works for you and others