Rocket Launcher won't start Emulator Because LaunchBox Name is Not Standard

malarrya

RL Member
Hi Guys,

Apparently, since LB names its platforms somewhat differently than the RL standard, RL won't launch the emulators.

LBRL
IntellivisionMattel Intellivison
TurboGrafx-16NEC TurboGrafx-16
3DO Interactive MultiplayerPanasonic 3DO

Is there an easy way (other than renaming and moving everything manually in the LB XML files) in either RL or LB to rename the platform so it behaves correctly?

I've searched quite a bit on this topic and have yet to find an answer. I came close to one as someone in the LB Forums created a program called LaunchBox Tools. It's supposed to be able to rename a platform and move all the associated files/image but alas it doesn't work as the option to rename a platform has been disabled by the developer.

Thanks for any input.

Larry

Last edited:

Fromlostdays

Supporter
RL Member
Re: Rocket Launcher Won't Start Emulator Because Some LaunchBox Names are Not Standard

If you're going to use rocketlauncher it's best to use rocketlauncher naming. The easiest way to change the name of a system of by deleting all the roms and reimporting them. I think. You can either change the lb artwork system names manually, or just reimporting all of the media. Lb does let you name a system differently than its standard naming. If you type in the RL system name at import, an option will pop up in lb to "scrape as" and you just select the system with lb naming there.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Fromlostdays

Supporter
RL Member
Re: Rocket Launcher Won't Start Emulator Because Some LaunchBox Names are Not Standard

Sorry about the atrocious grammar. Typing on my phone.

malarrya

RL Member

If you're going to use rocketlauncher it's best to use rocketlauncher naming. The easiest way to change the name of a system of by deleting all the roms and reimporting them. I think. You can either change the lb artwork system names manually, or just reimporting all of the media. Lb does let you name a system differently than its standard naming. If you type in the RL system name at import, an option will pop up in lb to "scrape as" and you just select the system with lb naming there.

This worked great! All 3 platforms now work through RL. Thank you so much for responding. :)

No worries about any spelling/grammatical mistakes you made. I didn't even notice.

Fromlostdays

Supporter
RL Member

In the interest of oganization and saving space, if you did import the media under the different system names, go into the images and video folders and delete them. Otherwise they just sit there. :D

Fromlostdays

Supporter
RL Member

Also, the fact that using the LB system names broke rocketlauncher suggests to me that you're not utilizing the lb plug in in rocketlauncher, OR you didn't set up rocketlauncher as your emulator right in launchbox. It is best to use RL system names, but they should launch regardless.

malarrya

RL Member

Also, the fact that using the LB system names broke rocketlauncher suggests to me that you're not utilizing the lb plug in in rocketlauncher, OR you didn't set up rocketlauncher as your emulator right in launchbox. It is best to use RL system names, but they should launch regardless.

I'm not sure what the LB plugin for RL is but I did add LaunchBox as a front-end and almost everything is now working correctly except ColecoVision. For some reason, it just won't enter all the way into the emulator from LB but has no trouble doing so from RL. I do notice the the "V" in Colecovision is lower-case inside LB and maybe RL wants an upper-case "V?" ColecoVision launches perfect from RL using either BlueMSX or MAME (it crashes RetroArch). If I start CV with LB (using RL as the emulator) it never launches anything using BlueMSX and just shows the "no cartridge loaded" screen when using MAME. any ideas on that?

Thanks, again!

Fromlostdays

Supporter
RL Member

First, you setup launchbox as your front end... but on the screen where you do that there is an option to change plugins. Make sure that's set to launchbox and not rocketlauncher. This may not fix your cleco problem, but it's important to save problems in the future. Next, double check your rocket launcher set up in LB. Lb automatically sets up your emulators and rl should be no different. (I suspect you're good in LB, but that you don't have the right plugin.) What should happen is, when you import a system, named right or wrong, in launchbox, that system should just show up in rocketlauncher without you having to do anything. That's part of what the lb plugin does.

Fromlostdays

Supporter
RL Member

Edit: you do have to restart RL for it to read new systems imported into LB. *

malarrya

RL Member

I do have everything set up in both systems exactly as you describe. All the other systems are working great now but CV. I am guessing RL is being a stickler for not only the exact spelling but for case-sensitivity. I deleted the CV system and re-added it to LB but it won't let me change the V to uppercase. LB just changes it back to the lower-case V name that's in its default platforms list. I would just add BlueMSX to LB but it won't let me do that either as it gives another pre-defined list of emulators. I'll keep messing with it. Maybe I can jury-rig something.

malarrya

RL Member
Finally, got ColecoVision beat into submission. Not sure exactly what it was that I did differently other than selecting FILES instead of FOLDER. But of course, now MAME is being an A-hole. For now, just using the MAME emulator directly from LB works but using it through RL doesn't. RL keeps whining that I don't have the properly named or found ROMs even though they work fine through MAME64 and LB. I started cutting myself again ;)

EDIT: Apparently, I changed the 7z ENABLED to TRUE in RL... don't do this. Everything works now. Thanks for all your help. :)

Last edited:

malarrya

RL Member
By the way, in case you didn't know, for you Kodi fans, there is a LaunchBox/BigBox addon for Kodi.

https://www.launchbox-app.com/announcements/xbmc-kodi-integration

The addon is on the LB Download page all the way at the bottom.

The cool thing is, you don't have to point it to your BigBox exe if you only have the free LaunchBox version. The first time you run the Addon it will ask you for the location of your BigBox executable. Simply point it to the LB executable instead and you'll be able to run LB from Kodi. It works great! I have't ventured into any of the XML files for the addon yet so I can rename it from BB to LB but I imagine I can do that too.

Cheers!

Last edited: