ScriptError - There was an error waiting for the window "RetroArch ahk_class RetroArch"

networkzeus

Hi guys,

Go easy on me, I'm very new to system emulation I just need some help. I've been slowly working my way through the installation and configuration of Hyperspin/Rocketlauncher over the last few weeks, watching video after video on youtube. I can load and run games directly through RetroArch/MAME emulation, however, I just keep getting the same over and over no matter what I do, it says "ScriptError - There was an error waiting for the window "RetroArch ahk_class RetroArch". Please check you have the correct version emulator installed for this module, followed any notes in the module, and have this emulator working outside your Frontend first. Also, turn off Fade to see if you"

What does this error even mean? I've downloaded the latest RetroArch emulator, downloaded different cores, and edited the Global Settings for RetroArch.ahk, tried different LibRetro_core dll's and mapped the config folder.

I specifically working on the Sega Genesis system to use RetroAch...any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-06-01 at 22.17.31.png
    Screenshot 2023-06-01 at 22.17.31.png
    237.4 KB · Views: 36
  • Screenshot 2023-06-01 at 22.17.56.png
    Screenshot 2023-06-01 at 22.17.56.png
    91.9 KB · Views: 35
  • Screenshot 2023-06-01 at 22.18.04.png
    Screenshot 2023-06-01 at 22.18.04.png
    122.9 KB · Views: 31
  • Screenshot 2023-06-01 at 22.18.26.png
    Screenshot 2023-06-01 at 22.18.26.png
    208.9 KB · Views: 29
  • Screenshot 2023-06-01 at 22.18.38.png
    Screenshot 2023-06-01 at 22.18.38.png
    329.6 KB · Views: 27
  • Screenshot 2023-06-01 at 22.24.08.png
    Screenshot 2023-06-01 at 22.24.08.png
    196.4 KB · Views: 37

Flostingyeti

RL Member
I can probably figure it out based off your screenshots. It might be more obvious with the troubleshooting log. I will take a look later today.

Using an earlier version of RetroArch might fix the problem. I haven't upgraded to the latest version, so I'm not positive it works with the current module.

Can you test with both 7z enabled and disabled?

Flostingyeti

RL Member
I specifically working on the Sega Genesis system to use RetroAch...any help would be appreciated.
I just tested with the latest nightly build of RetroArch (1.15.0) and the Module v2.4.4 and I have no issue.

I compared my settings to your screenshots and they are identical with the except of one small detail: I didn't map the config folder location (screenshot #2). I don't think that makes a difference.

I have modified my 2.4.4 module with many additional systems, it isn't identical to the one you are using but "functionally" the same.

So (superficially) your settings are correct, but we don't know the full picture without a RLUI log.

Enkak

RL Member
That issue only happens to me here if certain RetroArch cores get updated and certain type of files are used, specifically 7z and their size. It's not related to the RetroArch version (for me at least) since it would happen either with older or newer versions of RA. Also, no .7z enabled in RL settings.

If anyone wants to try reproducing the issue, one test that always does it for me is using a flycast RA core older version vs most recent versions and the game Samurai Spirits (samsptk) for Atomiswave.
The game rom in .7z loads normally in older core version. On newer versions it will fail with that RL error at the end, loading after the game/RA in the background. If you use the same rom in .zip format, no issue on either core versions.

Maybe something changed on certain RA core versions that makes RocketLauncher give the error at the end instead of acting normal.

I saw the same issue happening recently with a SNES Zelda MSU hack and Mesen-S RA core. Rom in .7z would get that error, in .zip not. Other SNES games in .7z load and launch normal. The zelda hack rom size was much bigger so maybe the error has a relation to the time needed to uncompress the game in the background.

Last edited:

Flostingyeti

RL Member
That issue only happens to me here if certain RetroArch cores get updated and certain type of files are used, specifically 7z and their size. It's not related to the RetroArch version (for me at least) since it would happen either with older or newer versions of RA. Also, no .7z enabled in RL settings.
I was also thinking it was 7z related but didn't get a response from networkzeus.

I have 7z enabled for every core (except MAME). I assume a genesis game would be small enough to load directly in 7z or zip format but I still enable 7z and extract before loading in RA. Maybe that's why I never encountered the script error?

My (flycast core) Atomiswave/Naomi/Naomi2 are zip format (nonmerged mame set) and all load correctly with 7z disabled.

Enkak

RL Member
I was also thinking it was 7z related but didn't get a response from networkzeus.

I have 7z enabled for every core (except MAME). I assume a genesis game would be small enough to load directly in 7z or zip format but I still enable 7z and extract before loading in RA. Maybe that's why I never encountered the script error?

My (flycast core) Atomiswave/Naomi/Naomi2 are zip format (nonmerged mame set) and all load correctly with 7z disabled.
Probably, regarding you not getting that script error.

What confuses me is why the issue only happens on some recent RA core versions and not older ones. Since the cores already support natively .7z, similar to MAME, in theory there's no need to enable .7z at all in RL.

The Atomiswave Samurai Spirits game example is a good one if you want to reproduce the issue but only happens if the rom is in .7z and with latest flycast core versions. Since I have limited hard drive space, having some sets like that system and others in .7z can make a huge difference.

Flostingyeti

RL Member
in theory there's no need to enable .7z at all in RL.
I agree but I think we are dealing with a conditions created by RL and the module.

I also prefer 7z format and use it on everything except mame or mame software list systems.

Hopefully networkzeus reads our conversation and disables 7z to fix the issue.

Thankyou for the valuable info Enkak!

Enkak

RL Member
That's the default format that WinRAR compresses these days, with rar4 being optional. Its definitely faster than 7z, specially on bigger archives but compression size 7z normally is better and gets me smaller files. The question would be if any emulator supports it natively compared to zip and 7z if we don't enable it in RL settings. But should be an interesting test.

Flostingyeti

RL Member
The question would be if any emulator supports it natively compared to zip and 7z if we don't enable it in RL settings. But should be an interesting test.
I've only used 7zip to compress files for so many years I didn't know winRAR was competitive.

I will definitely be testing larger iso files.