What's needed to get this FE working?

Gilrock

Supporter
RL Member
I know I'm probably on a desert island in wanting to get this working. I don't want it to be my main front end but I did want it as an option to have some eye candy where you could walk around an arcade and see my favorite cabinets. The 3DArcade program actually still runs on my Windows10 setup if I use Windows98 compatibility mode. I tried to fake out RocketLauncher into thinking it was being commanded from LaunchBox. I looked at the way the LaunchBox command line is received and I duplicated it from 3DArcade but it just seems to pretend like it's launching then returns back to 3DArcade. Not sure why that doesn't work cause I was able to send the exact same command from a Command Prompt window and it worked fine.

It looks like someone has done some work on this. There is a 3DArcade RocketLauncher_UI plugin and a couple example files in there. Does anyone have this front end working? I'm willing to put some effort into modifying some files to make it work but I'm not sure what RocketLauncher requires. I'd be fine with it grabbing all the assets it needs from the LaunchBox folders because I'm just going to be launching Mame and Daphne games.

Gilrock

Supporter
RL Member
I'd really like to get 3DArcade working with RocketLauncher because it's already setup to display my Daphne bezels and launch those games etc. In theory is there any reason why I can't have 3DArcade pretend to be LaunchBox? I've tried having it send a command line like:
"C:\Emulators\RocketLauncher\RocketLauncher.exe -f C:\Emulators\3DArcade\fealpha.exe -p LaunchBox -s Arcade -r C:\Emulators\ROMS\MAME\1942"
I ran the Debug console option and you can see it generating something to launch and when it runs the process RocketLauncher crashes so there is no log output after it tries to launch MAME.

To generate some interest look at how I can walk around the arcade and walk up to any cabinet and play the game....it's totally awesome.
https://youtu.be/80rt3rs88g0

SupraKarma

Supporter
RL Member
Not sure how to help out with this, but I thought I'd mention New Retro Arcade Neon, if you weren't already aware of it. In my opinion it looks a bit better. When you play a game, you can press R3 and zoom in, but it still looks like you're standing in front of a cabinet. Personally, I prefer that to walking up to a game and then everything would switch to a bezeled game. In New Retro Arcade, you can still hear the arcade sounds/music in the background while you're playing. When you're done playing, you just use the right analog to walk off, and play another game. You can purchase it on Steam if you're interested - it also works with a VR headset.

It's cool to a degree, but more as a curiosity than anything. For the most part I still prefer having all of the games in a list in a frontend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4b0edinzKU

Gilrock

Supporter
RL Member
I haven't heard of that I'll have to check it out. The video looks cool. I just like having multiple options on my cab instead of just using one front-end. Showing a 3D arcade is more for a showpiece when friends visit. Switching to a bezeled game looks pretty awesome on my cabinet. What doesn't show in the video I posted is the Marquee monitor. Anyways regarding this post I actually got the problem solved. I was having to run 3DArcade in compatibility mode on Windows10 and that caused all the problems. I figured out that I didn't need to run compatibility mode if I installed an older version of the NVidia driver so after doing that I got 3DArcade playing together nicely with RocketLauncher.