Bliss box instructions

Ninja2bseen

RL Member
Hello, I finally got the opportunity to test the 4 play out but failing miserably. Am I supposed to just be able to plug in the Nes controller into the 4 play and it just work? If so that is not what's happening. I have the Nes plugged into the 4 play. I have the computer recognizing the four ports when I look at the devices plugged in as well. Note I have everything set up in xpadder, I even see if I right click xpadder I see each of the four ports but I didn't think you needed to set it up with xpadder right? I've read the forums on bliss and an instruction manual is referenced but I can find the actual manual. I find a few screenshots and definitions. Anyone able to clear up my noob mistakes? Thanks

Edit: I see that when using nestopia that sure I could set up the Nes controller but I lose the keyboard strokes so I can't have both options? Maybe I just need to create a xpadder profile for the four play somehow? I'm using hyperspin and trying to have min impact with 60 plus systems that are all mapped the same with keyboard. Thanks

Tapatalk signature

Last edited:

djvj

Administrator
Staff member
Developer
in windows it's just a standard controller. So you would set up in the emu like you would any other controller.

Ninja2bseen

RL Member
Thanks. I see the controller working if it's in player 1 sure. I see that when using nestopia that sure I could set up the Nes controller but I lose the keyboard strokes so I can't have both options? Maybe I just need to create a xpadder profile for the four play somehow? I'm using hyperspin and trying to have min impact with 60 plus systems that are all mapped the same with keyboard. What do you think the best option is? I want the versatility of being able to use the mame cabinet, or random controller but then come to bliss with the Nes controller. Right now everything works except for the bliss box, maybe I can have both options of keyboard strokes and controller in the emulator?Thanks

Tapatalk signature

djvj

Administrator
Staff member
Developer
Depends on the emu, some will support multiple inputs. Nestopia is very old, so it might not. I'm only theorizing here so you would know better than I would. I haven't put much thought into getting blissbox to work in anything yet. I've only tried on retropie and it wouldn't even recognize the device.

jeremy0203

Supporter
RL Member
That device is no different than any other Joy pad. Want it to use keyboard keys then use a keymapper.

Ninja2bseen

RL Member
Interesting thought Jeremey. I use xpadder. How would I do that for the Nes folder I have? I have a default folder for Nes. Maybe I need to create another folder in the Nes folder? What do I name it as so it knows that I'm using the Nes controller instead of my PS3?

Tapatalk signature

Ninja2bseen

RL Member
Ya. I want to have the xpadder profile available for my PS3 controller which is mapped to the same keys as my arcade buttons. I'd like to get bliss box on board so I would just plug it in and it also maps to the same keys. Within the xpadder profile structure, how would I make the Nes controller map to the same keys? Like what should the folder name be for this? I assume the xpadder profile that I need to create is outside of the default folder?

Tapatalk signature

djvj

Administrator
Staff member
Developer
You can either use the name you see RL search for in the log, or you can get the name from the game controllers window where you test your joystick buttons in windows.

Remember, the blissbox is not an NES controller, it's a blissbox, the controller you have connected to it is irrelevant to naming or windows/emu. Don't think NES.

Ninja2bseen

RL Member
So within the Nintendo entertainment system folder I have a default folder within that with p1 and p2

Are you suggesting I create a second folder that is a sister to the _default folder and name that folder 4play and I add a p1 and p2 profile? Thanks for your help

Tapatalk signature

Ninja2bseen

RL Member
Yes but doesn't it need it's own folder and can't be part of the _default folder for the system? I'm thinking I need a 4play folder under nes folder to I would see this... Is the corrects once 4play is considered a controller?

/profiles/nintendo entertainment system/_default
/profiles/nintendo entertainment system/4play

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

djvj

Administrator
Staff member
Developer
In the game controllers window, the name of the device is "4PLAY PORT".

So RL would be looking for something like this:
.\Profiles\Xpadder\_Default\4PLAY PORT

Ninja2bseen

RL Member
I created a detailed tutorial to get things set up as a baseline. I need to figure out how to get things to recognize xpadder profiles and bliss box. Thanks djvj for the breadcrumbs. i'll look into the xpadder profile tomorrow as you suggest

tutorial to get blissbox working http://www.hyperspin-fe.com/topic/12598-bliss-box-4-play-compatibility/page-5#entry187770

djvj are you suggesting the following would be correct? I assume the 4playport is a folder and within it I would have a p1, p2, p3, and p4 in it?
.\Profiles\Xpadder\_Default\p1.xpadderprofile
.\Profiles\Xpadder\_Default\p2.xpadderprofile
.\Profiles\Xpadder\_Default\4PLAY PORT

djvj

Administrator
Staff member
Developer
Yes correct in the folder example I gave you would have those p1,p2,etc files in it.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Ninja2bseen

RL Member
we are making progress here. here is the condensed tutorial to get things going but if you like the whole experience, see the link as well that got to the conclusion of all this

How to flash and name each port:

1. Connect BlissBox via USB

2. Run Unofficial Firmware updater as Admin

3. Press "4" to update to the latest firmware

4. HOLD DOWN THE "RESET BUTTON" ON THE PORT YOU'RE TRYING TO FLASH. KEEP HOLDING IT DOWN UNTIL THE FLASH IS DONE

5. Press 1,2,3 or 4 to select the ID# you'll be attaching to the port

6. Press enter, enter to start the flashing (KEEP HOLDING THE "RESET" BUTTON DOWN"

7. Once the flashing is done, repeat steps 4-6 for each additional port, changing the ID#

*dont forget to calibrate you controllers. Go to device manager and go to the settings tab when viewing on of the ports

*previous tutorial: http://www.hyperspin-fe.com/topic/12598-bliss-box-4-play-compatibility/page-5#entry187770

*attachments:View attachment bliss box updates.zip

*set up joystick controls within emulators. If your emulator doesn't allow multiple outputs like joystick AND keyboard, use
http://www.rlauncher.com/wiki/index.php?title=VJoy
This ensures that you can still use cabinet controls if you have one but also allows you the flexibility to plug in a controller and use it instead

Last edited: