LaunchBox Plugin Not Showing All Images & Info For Fade & Pause Screens

kmoney2315

RL Member
Per Bleasby's request I am starting a new thread for these issues and will be including a troubleshooting log and pics of my fade and pause screens. Here are my comments I left in another thread:

"The year is not showing on my fade screen. I tried removing the LaunchBox section in my "RocketLauncher\Settings\Global Plugins.ini" folder and let RL recreate it and the year still did not show up on the fade screen. I even went as far as installing a fresh copy of Rocketlauncher and LaunchBox both up to date and current to test with and still could not get the year to show up on the fade screen. The strange thing is, the year shows up on the Pause screen so it is pulling it from the xml, it just doesnt show up on the fade screen. I also looked at my LaunchBox xml manually and it has the dates in there. I also can get no media such as boxes,carts,logos,videos and etc. to show on the Pause screen even though I have everything in the correct folders."

Troubleshooting Log: http://pastebin.com/iv8uPScY

Fade.jpgPause 2.jpgPause.jpg

bleasby

RocketLauncher Developer
Developer
From your log:
Code:
13:23:35:069 | MD |   WARNING  | +125   | BuildDatabaseTable - Ended - no "Game Name" found. Assigning "3 Ninjas Kick Back (USA)" to the label "Name"

RL was not able to found the game name on the launchbox xml file.
That is why none of the database fields were retrieved, including the year information.

The pause information displayed on the screen top left comes from the RocketLauncher\Data\Game Info folder and not from the FE that you use.

Please, try to find the launchbox.xml section that describes the game that you used to test this and copy only its section here so we could take a look if there is anything that we could do to try to make RL find the game entrance on the mess that is the launchbox database.

kmoney2315

RL Member
From your log:
Code:
13:23:35:069 | MD |   WARNING  | +125   | BuildDatabaseTable - Ended - no "Game Name" found. Assigning "3 Ninjas Kick Back (USA)" to the label "Name"

RL was not able to found the game name on the launchbox xml file.
That is why none of the database fields were retrieved, including the year information.

The pause information displayed on the screen top left comes from the RocketLauncher\Data\Game Info folder and not from the FE that you use.

Please, try to find the launchbox.xml section that describes the game that you used to test this and copy only its section here so we could take a look if there is anything that we could do to try to make RL find the game entrance on the mess that is the launchbox database.

Ok that makes sense, I did not know that the pause info at the top of the screen is pulled from the RocketLauncher\Data\Game Info folder, thanks for letting me know. Here is the info pulled from my LaunchBox xml for the game I used to test up above in my troubleshooting log:
Code:
<Game>
    <ApplicationPath>..\Arcade & Console Games\Sega Genesis\3 Ninjas Kick Back (USA).zip</ApplicationPath>
    <CommandLine />
    <Completed>false</Completed>
    <ConfigurationCommandLine />
    <ConfigurationPath />
    <DateAdded>2016-01-10T23:21:33.6643893-05:00</DateAdded>
    <DateModified>2016-08-04T17:46:22.646608-04:00</DateModified>
    <Developer>Malibu Interactive</Developer>
    <DosBoxConfigurationPath />
    <Emulator>1a49cf12-8449-444f-bdf6-fce548d8c4cb</Emulator>
    <Favorite>false</Favorite>
    <ID>605b5154-ff9d-41b8-b47e-21b34dc5ee3f</ID>
    <LastPlayedDate>2016-08-05T13:23:32.4402602-04:00</LastPlayedDate>
    <ManualPath />
    <MusicPath />
    <Notes>3 Ninjas Kick Back follows 3 young ninja  brothers, Rocky, Colt and Tum-Tum as they assist an old Samurai in retrieving a prized dagger which has been stolen by his rival. The dagger, once given to the Samurai as a reward, will be passed along to younger generations once it is restored to its rightful owner. The boys learn ninjitsu and karate as they fight evil forces that are older, more powerful, and bigger than them.</Notes>
    <Platform>Sega Genesis</Platform>
    <Publisher>Sony Imagesoft</Publisher>
    <Rating>E - Everyone</Rating>
    <ReleaseDate>1994-06-01T00:00:00-04:00</ReleaseDate>
    <RootFolder />
    <ScummVMAspectCorrection>false</ScummVMAspectCorrection>
    <ScummVMFullscreen>false</ScummVMFullscreen>
    <ScummVMGameDataFolderPath />
    <ScummVMGameType />
    <SortTitle />
    <Source />
    <StarRating>0</StarRating>
    <Status>Imported ROM</Status>
    <DatabaseID>3371</DatabaseID>
    <WikipediaURL />
    <Title>3 Ninjas Kick Back</Title>
    <UseDosBox>false</UseDosBox>
    <UseScummVM>false</UseScummVM>
    <Version />
    <Series />
    <PlayMode>Multiplayer</PlayMode>
    <Region />
    <PlayCount>92</PlayCount>
    <Portable>false</Portable>
    <VideoPath />
    <Hide>false</Hide>
    <Broken>false</Broken>
    <Genre>Action</Genre>
  </Game>

bleasby

RocketLauncher Developer
Developer
The problem is most problem because the & on your rom folder name.

Could you try to launch a game in a folder with no special characters to confirm that?

kmoney2315

RL Member
The problem is most problem because the & on your rom folder name.

Could you try to launch a game in a folder with no special characters to confirm that?

Yes I was thinking that could be it also so when I tried it on a fresh Rocketlauncher and LaunchBox install that I am using for testing I just named the tester folder Roms and sadly I still get the same result of the images and info not showing up. I know Styphelus here on the forums said he was having the same problem as me so maybe he can post his troubleshooting log here as well to compare.

bleasby

RocketLauncher Developer
Developer
Do you have the bellow line in your launchbox.xml? It is exactly equal or there is any difference?

<ApplicationPath>.\Roms\Sega Genesis\3 Ninjas Kick Back (USA).zip</ApplicationPath>

Last edited:

kmoney2315

RL Member
Do you have the bellow line in your launchbox.xml? It is exactly equal or there is any difference?

<ApplicationPath>.\Roms\Sega Genesis\3 Ninjas Kick Back (USA).zip</ApplicationPath>

My path is a little different and looks like this:
<ApplicationPath>..\Roms\Sega Genesis\3 Ninjas Kick Back (USA).zip</ApplicationPath>

bleasby

RocketLauncher Developer
Developer
That is the culprit. The function responsible to translate the absolute path to the relative one is missing the extra point at the path beginning.

Brolly, it was you that replaced the one that we had before on the plugin file by the one inside the DLL, no? How should we proceed with that?
I could simply add a possible point to the regex to deal with that but I would prefer to know if there is something else we could do using the function instead.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

brolly

Administrator
Developer
Brolly, it was you that replaced the one that we had before on the plugin file by the one inside the DLL, no? How should we proceed with that?
I could simply add a possible point to the regex to deal with that but I would prefer to know if there is something else we could do using the function instead.
Sorry, but I didn't get what the problem was exactly. Is the plugin using the DLL already? Because if it is, that relative path seems perfectly fine to me and if you are using the DLL method why are you applying any regex?

bleasby

RocketLauncher Developer
Developer
Sorry brolly, I thought that the plugin was already using the rocketlauncher dll to convert the absolute to relative path, but it seams that it still using the old method. I was already away when the files were pushed to git so I had no way to update the method, but I though that one of you had done that already.
I am right now at the airport but when I come back I will take a look at it.

Anyway, the regex that I was referring to has nothing to do with the path conversion. It is the one that I use for parsing the XML file searching for the game section. The problem seams to be that the launchbox relative path starts with two points "../", meanwhile the one that RL is searching starts with a single one "./". I don't even remember what is the difference between starting with the two or one point for the relative paths but they should match.

brolly

Administrator
Developer
I think djvj changed the plugin to use the new function, but perhaps he never pushed it to Git we will need to confirm with him.

djvj

Administrator
Staff member
Developer
I never touched the LB plugin because I thought it was still in the works. It still uses the old getrelativepath() function within the plugin.

Styphelus

RL Member
Glad to see that you guys identified the issue. Do you guys know when a fix can be expected? Or is there something we can do to fix it on our end like maybe change a few lines of code?

bleasby

RocketLauncher Developer
Developer
Glad to see that you guys identified the issue. Do you guys know when a fix can be expected? Or is there something we can do to fix it on our end like maybe change a few lines of code?
You could at least provide a troubleshooting log and the same info that kmoney provided so we would have more info to work on the fix.

As usual, we do not give any ETA as we can only work on stuff like that when we have some free time available. So, it is pointless to ask for that.

We will let everybody know when we are able to progress on the issue. Particularly in my case, it is a little difficult for me to do anything right now as I just came back from vacations and found out that my development computer is completely fried (graphics card, hard drive,...).

Styphelus

RL Member
Here's my log:

http://pastebin.com/7ECy79qv

My path looks like the one from kmoney2315 with 2 dots

The year and the rating do not show up in fade and neither does any media in the Pause menu. Also, there's a very long delay between selecting the game and Fade starting up (about 5 seconds). Let me know if you need anything else.

Rincewind

RL Member
computer is completely fried (graphics card, hard drive,...).

Sorry to hear that bleasby I feel your pain, graphic cards can be replaced but a hard drive is massive head ache, always happens just after you have a thought of "I must make a backup"

Styphelus

RL Member
I'm noticed that my PC games do show the date in the fade screen but the rating logo is still missing. My console roms still do not show the date or rating despite a brand new install of Launchbox. Not sure why that is. I keep my PC games in a different drive. No clue if that affects the way the plugin reads paths or not. My log is in post #18. Pause screen is also still not reading any of the Launchbox media folders.