Metalzoic's MAME Mega-Bezel Pack. Bezels for 1200+ games inside!

honkbahh

sf1.jpg
Hi people. I'm having a bezel cropping issue (I think). See the pic. Basically the bezel is getting covered up by the screen. My monitor is 1080p 16x9. I checked the ratio of the game window without a bezel selected and it was 4:3. I also measured the opening for the screen in one of the bezel files and it did not match up with the width (15.5 in my case) of my monitor. It does not seem like I am somehow scaling the game too big, but I don't know for sure.

Another problem I have is that bezels that should overlap the screen in portions do not. Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

RetroHumanoid

RL Member
your bezel is fine,your game window is fine too...you are covering a background image,not a bezel. The background won't resize to fit your bezel (which looks to be just a black trim).

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

honkbahh

your bezel is fine,your game window is fine too...you are covering a background image,not a bezel. The background won't resize to fit your bezel (which looks to be just a black trim).

Thanks for the quick reply and help with the vocabulary! I did notice that even backgroundswithout bezels had bezels. I also noticed some background files had a bezel as part of the artwork. Can I disable the bezel and only use the background? Is this what I am looking for?

Thanks!

RetroHumanoid

RL Member
It's pulling the bezel from the _default folder if it doesn't find it in the (game name) folder. What you are looking for,from what I understand,is to avoid a background image,and to just use a bezel.png and bezel.ini....you just need to find bezels that have the art on the sides instead of just a tv frame bezel.

honkbahh

It's pulling the bezel from the _default folder if it doesn't find it in the (game name) folder. What you are looking for,from what I understand,is to avoid a background image,and to just use a bezel.png and bezel.ini....you just need to find bezels that have the art on the sides instead of just a tv frame bezel.

Thanks again! I believe there are files like that included in the download, but even those do not display correctly. I believe it is treating even those files as backgrounds. So if I understand correctly I just need to take those image files that have the bezel and side art in one file, and have rocket launcher treat that file as foreground (bezel) instead of background and laying another bezel on top of that. Does this sound correct? I assume there are options for that?
Pics of what I want are posted here.

D3QDNHe.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

images

Thanks again!

RetroHumanoid

RL Member
from the first post in this thread...
"you get full game-play area at the expense of art, instead of art at the expense of a full game-play area. If you would rather have the art than full game-screen size, then I really recommend you don't use this pack"

You are better off,for your situation,to get the original bezels from the creators,before they were altered for this set. The creators names are in the first post as well...just search for those.

honkbahh

from the first post in this thread...
"you get full game-play area at the expense of art, instead of art at the expense of a full game-play area. If you would rather have the art than full game-screen size, then I really recommend you don't use this pack"

You are better off,for your situation,to get the original bezels from the creators,before they were altered for this set. The creators names are in the first post as well...just search for those.

I took that sentence to mean that art on the top and bottom would be lost. Sorry for my confusion. Does that mean the art does not exist in a skinnier format so that the full 4:3 is there and art is formatted to fit around it? If that is what you are talking about, then I don't think I understand the purpose of this pack, or I don't understand what the original bezels you reference would be like. Thanks again!

griffin518

RL Member
I took that sentence to mean that art on the top and bottom would be lost. Sorry for my confusion. Does that mean the art does not exist in a skinnier format so that the full 4:3 is there and art is formatted to fit around it? If that is what you are talking about, then I don't think I understand the purpose of this pack, or I don't understand what the original bezels you reference would be like. Thanks again!

The amount of effort required to re-size the existing artwork to fit the smaller sides that come with a full play screen is not trivial. Honestly, it's the same amount of work as creating a new bezel. @metalzoic has decided that for his setup he wants some of the original art on the sides, even if it gets cropped. He's ok with that, as he wants a full screen area above all else. He put the time and effort into creating a comprehensive pack which included everything he could find, then modified it to overlay the screen on top of the "bezel" (for full screen size) and then overlay the monitor bezel on top of the screen for a clean look. He was kind enough to share it with the community.

Your choice is to use his pack, to track down the original source bezels by author (most of which would have a reduced playing area), create your own bezels, use a generic bezel for all, or use nothing. Personally, I use a mix of all of these in my own setup.

Good luck!

BlockAboots

RL Member
Im having a similar issue with King Of Dragons bezel.....

q69JZlY.jpg

as you can see the bezel.png file is covering up the background artwork. It should look like this.....

JXS4uYb.jpg

So i loaded the bezel.png file up in paint and rescaled the bezel so it fits the background artwork correctly i then needed to change the coordinates in the bezel ini file so the game display lined up correctly but upon changing the coordinates for the game screen position the game screen size now appears to be letter boxed and not full screen.....

OZ7aTpA.jpg

any ideas why the screen size has changed and why i cant get it to go full screen??

Attachments

• fTHECJw.jpg
    fTHECJw.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 23
  • nBzKDug.jpg
    nBzKDug.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 22
  • oLaclii.jpg
    oLaclii.jpg
    347 KB · Views: 17

griffin518

RL Member
Im having a similar issue with King Of Dragons bezel.....

q69JZlY.jpg

as you can see the bezel.png file is covering up the background artwork. It should look like this.....

JXS4uYb.jpg

So i loaded the bezel.png file up in paint and rescaled the bezel so it fits the background artwork correctly i then needed to change the coordinates in the bezel ini file so the game display lined up correctly but upon changing the coordinates for the game screen position the game screen size now appears to be letter boxed and not full screen.....

OZ7aTpA.jpg

any ideas why the screen size has changed and why i cant get it to go full screen??

Because you've shrunk the display area. Look at the original screenshot you attached. Notice how thin the artwork is on each side? That's because a horizontal screen takes up that much space in order to display in full size.

extracampine

RL Member
I am having the exact same issues.

I think it is better to have the screen full size (to avoid the black bars above and below the screen as in the pic above, and also to have it fit the TV frame bezel properly). But this seems to lead to the side artwork (the "background") being cropped.

I think what is required to be done is to edit the background to be thinner and to fit the available space properly. I'm currently looking into this. I've no idea why this hasn't been done and don't see the point in cropped artwork as it just looks messy (IMHO of course)!

griffin518

RL Member
I think what is required to be done is to edit the background to be thinner and to fit the available space properly. I'm currently looking into this. I've no idea why this hasn't been done and don't see the point in cropped artwork as it just looks messy (IMHO of course)!

Yeah it's not that simple. A lot of the original artwork is either really tall, or really thick since there was a lot of room on the sides of original monitors. Or both. Shrinking / Cropping is the only realistic way of dealing with it other than creating something almost original.

legolas119

RL Member
Hi guys,

do you know where i can find an updated bezels full pack? I have a lifetime subscription both on Hyperspin-fe and emumovies: can i find the full pack on these websites?
thank you

griffin518

RL Member
Hi guys,

do you know where i can find an updated bezels full pack? I have a lifetime subscription both on Hyperspin-fe and emumovies: can i find the full pack on these websites?
thank you

Metalzoic's pack is available on the Emumovies FTP. Smaller, more targeted packs are generally available on the HyperSpin forums download page (membership required for both).

legolas119

RL Member
thanks!

I have another question: i currently have 4 different artwork/bezels pack, divided in 4 folder. I named them in this way: artwork, artwork_other, artwork_ws, artwork_alternate. Every folder contains the zip files of the artwork of every game. And all the 4 folders are inside the folder named "artworks"

Then i modified the mame.ini file in the artpath in this way:

artpath G:\MAME\artworks\artwork;G:\MAME\artworks\artwork_alt;G:\MAME\artworks\artwork_other;G:\MAME\artworks\artwork_ws;

But i'm not able to switch to the different bezels type when i run a game. I can only use only the bezels included in the default patch artworks\artwork...

Do you know if it is posible to choose from all the bezels file packs...?

thank you very much

Spawk

Banned
4 different packs?

Bezels can come in different formats. I have a feeling 1 or more of your packs are made for use with RL not mame.

Even if they are in mame format, you can not split the archives. You would need to consolodate all bezels for each game into one archive. Then your "next bezel" key would function correctly.

The pack from this thread is made for RL. I don't think it has been updated in some time. It has also been modified from the original creators of the bezels to maximize game screen space... cutting off a bunch of the bezel artwork in a lot of cases.

Another user (Phulshoff) also maintains a pack made for use with mame. It contains all the "mame extras" stuff as well as most, if not all, the bezels created on these forums. These are not modified to cut any artwork.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk