Sega Saturn Cracked After 20 Years!

mccorkled

RL Member
Since I am banned from HS, I will have to make this my new hangout :p

Earlier this week a guy released a video explaining the daunting task that it took to FINALLY crack the SS! He has also been in close contact with emulator devs of the SS including Yabuse. I believe we will be seeing a fully functional SS emulator soon. :D

djvj

Administrator
Staff member
Developer
Yes I read about that. Hopefully it will help with progressing Saturn emulation so that we can finally dump Ssf.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

jeremy0203

Supporter
RL Member
Only watched like 8 mins, but it seems like he just found a way to bypass using a cd. How would that assist in making emulation better for it?

aorin1

RL Member
I also heard that as the Saturn console is the only CD based console that provides directly access to the main board via its cartridge slot, and now that it was hacked, it's probably a sign that we'll see something like Everdrive for it soon as well.

aorin1

RL Member
Everdrive is something we'd be blown away if we had something like that in the 90's.

jeremy0203

Supporter
RL Member
my super everdrive just arrived in the mail today, time to get some console games going. Have the NES and genesis ones coming as well. Great to emulate but love firing up the actual console and playing on my crt.

aorin1

RL Member
my super everdrive just arrived in the mail today, time to get some console games going. Have the NES and genesis ones coming as well. Great to emulate but love firing up the actual console and playing on my crt.

Now go back in time and tell to the younger Jeremy that he can have all games inside one cart only.

aorin1

RL Member
I watched the whole video, wow, this guy has a plan even better than a Everdrive for this console, and like you guys said, we just have to wait a little now until a fully functional Saturn emulator, the missing pieces were found.

aorin1

RL Member
Mednafen is pretty much very close to fully functional

Yeah, I tried that, really amazing, there's still some graphical glitches like in Shining Force 3 (in battles), and some other stuff, but it's just a matter of time until they master the Saturn now.

And talking about Mednafen, I created a simple guide to convert SSF saves to use in Mednafen (Retroarch)

http://libretro.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7129

Last edited:

aorin1

RL Member
So it's a cart with all the games and you play on the real console?

It's a modded cart with a firmware in it, it has a SD card slot for you to put the roms in, once you insert it in the console, the firmware loads and you can pick what game you want to play.
SD2SNES seems to be an upgraded version which enables you to play MSU-1 games in the real console, imagine that, you can watch Legend of Zelda FMVs and play while listening to CD quality audio. Remember those MSU-1 titles I added in the Hacked Games system? It's about them I'm talking about, playing these in the real SNES is something else.

jeremy0203

Supporter
RL Member
Sd2snes is created by someone else, krikzz just produces/sells them for the guy. All the other ones he sells are his. His flashcards are pretty much the best out there

Dabil

RL Member
Mednafen came out of no where with it's ssf support. I have yet to complete my testing but it had very good compatibility at this point. And way easier to set up and get working than ssf.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

jeremy0203

Supporter
RL Member
Wouldn't quite say out of nowhere. It was discussed early in the year they had support for saturn in beta and being worked on.

Dabil

RL Member
No I know that. When I say came out of no where, I mean who knew it would be this good already?! It took years for ssf to reach it's current level of compatibility. Mednafen is better. So while I was expecting them to release Saturn Support, I totally didn't see what came out coming. I think a lot of people were blown away with how good it was.

My personal opinion is there is no way they could have developed such a good emulator in such a short time. I fully believe they got their hands on the ssf source to add to their project. I see some of the same exact quirks and bugs in it as I see in ssf. Coincidence?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

masticman

Supporter
RL Member
Just going back to the Everdrive post, If your looking for flash carts and other obscure accessories for old consoles ect, then check Tototek out. I got my first serial port driven Snes flash cart from them over 10 years ago and the company's is still going strong today.

http://www.tototek.com/store/index.php

Last edited: